PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Bucs Using iPads for Game Film and Playbooks

MacRumors
Aug 25, 2011, 12:44 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/25/tampa-bay-bucs-using-ipads-for-game-film-and-playbooks/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/footballipad.jpg

It's not just pilots (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/23/united-airlines-deploying-11000-ipads-to-pilots-as-electronic-flight-bags/) who are finding iPads help them at work. Football players are too.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have given all 90 of their players (http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article1187879.ece) iPad 2s, loaded with playbooks, and practice and situational videos from any NFL team. The iPads are considerably easier to use, and carry around, than thick books the size of Yellow Pages, and spending hours sitting around a projector watching game film.

Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris:
With this iPad, I can just flick through, and if that play doesn't apply to me, I just touch it and get out of there and go here, and there's third down. Get out of there, and let's go to the red zone. Okay, there's the nickel. It's a different deal now.It goes further than simply being more convenient. The younger players grew up using technology much more than their veteran counterparts. Today's football players grew up playing the Madden video game series and are very comfortable with technology like the iPad. Running back Earnest Graham:
It's not that guys don't want to look at plays, but it's the convenience ... Guys are accustomed to already doing things on their iPads anyway.But, the most important feature of the iPad playbooks? If one gets lost, it can be wiped clean via Find My iPad to keep team strategy a secret.

(<em>Image via Justin S. (http://www.shutterstock.com/gallery-557335p1.html)/Shutterstock (http://www.shutterstock.com/))

Article Link: Tampa Bay Bucs Using iPads for Game Film and Playbooks (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/25/tampa-bay-bucs-using-ipads-for-game-film-and-playbooks/)

marksman
Aug 25, 2011, 12:59 PM
It is awesome. Not to mention they could attach actual game footage to the plays so players could see the film.

Really good idea.

hobo.hopkins
Aug 25, 2011, 01:11 PM
But, the most important feature of the iPad playbooks? If one gets lost, it can be wiped clean via Find My iPad to keep team strategy a secret.

That's really cool. Sounds like an iPad fits the bill perfectly for their needs.

jrtc27
Aug 25, 2011, 01:12 PM
But yet when the word "playbook" is used in the context of an iPad nobody thinks it's a terrible name?

blizaine
Aug 25, 2011, 01:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

I bet RIM is pissed that iPads are being used as Playbooks.

Navdakilla
Aug 25, 2011, 01:22 PM
As soon as I saw this article (being a football fan). I thought of what would happen if they lost their ipad (there was a huge spygate scandel recently, related to cheating, and finding out play calls)

Then I read this
"But, the most important feature of the iPad playbooks? If one gets lost, it can be wiped clean via Find My iPad to keep team strategy a secret. "

Perfect idea

accessoriesguy
Aug 25, 2011, 01:28 PM
Then I read this
"But, the most important feature of the iPad playbooks? If one gets lost, it can be wiped clean via Find My iPad to keep team strategy a secret. "

This would actually make it a lot easier to keep things secret, only the coaches and players would have access to the play data. That's already opening up opportunities in a field of other industries!

alectheking
Aug 25, 2011, 01:39 PM
except for the fact the Find my iPhone can be completely disabled in what? 3, maybe 4 taps of the screen? Not to mention there is absolutely no way to password protect the feature from being disabled. It should have a lock setting just like the actual "pass code" pane in the settings. Not all of us want to pass code protect our phones everytime it locks.

nylonsteel
Aug 25, 2011, 01:45 PM
re original article
it was bound to happen

SBlue1
Aug 25, 2011, 01:53 PM
whats that software for creating the plays?

*LTD*
Aug 25, 2011, 01:53 PM
Some "toy", huh?

iPads are finding new roles every day, from the medical community, to airline industry, to sports industry, etc.

This was bound to happen, but a lot of the naysayers have all the imagination of buried rock.

BJMRamage
Aug 25, 2011, 01:59 PM
Oh wow! Awesome.
It really makes sense though. Players are probably more visual than a learner from reading and page turning. Kids growing up now grasp the video game/computer screen so easily compared to words/images on paper. And making it interactive for the players too. Awesome.

Laughing at the idea of a Playbook on an iPad, not a playbook.

SavMBP15
Aug 25, 2011, 02:15 PM
iPlaypad

mrtune
Aug 25, 2011, 02:15 PM
except for the fact the Find my iPhone can be completely disabled in what? 3, maybe 4 taps of the screen? Not to mention there is absolutely no way to password protect the feature from being disabled. It should have a lock setting just like the actual "pass code" pane in the settings. Not all of us want to pass code protect our phones everytime it locks.

Well at least it offers some sort of protection.

If you had the old school binder full of plays and lost that what then? You have no options.

I think is a great idea. I bet more teams will follow suit in the coming years.

ls1dreams
Aug 25, 2011, 02:22 PM
I don't get it.

People are advertising all of these "new" uses for ipads.

Couldn't all of this be done before on a laptop? (airline pilots maps, these playbooks, etc)?

The only difference is the ipad is slightly lighter and smaller. As a man, I would have to carry both around in a messenger type bag anyway, so I don't really see the big deal.

SBlue1
Aug 25, 2011, 02:38 PM
I don't get it.

Couldn't all of this be done before on a laptop? (airline pilots maps, these playbooks, etc)?

The only difference is the ipad is slightly lighter and smaller. As a man, I would have to carry both around in a messenger type bag anyway, so I don't really see the big deal.

its just instantly on whenever you need it. no need to boot for a minute or two. big difference to a laptop.

mscriv
Aug 25, 2011, 02:46 PM
Sweet! Josh Freeman, the Bucs QB, is my fantasy QB in one of my leagues this year. I hope this tech advantage results in increased production and more fantasy points. :D

tlevier
Aug 25, 2011, 02:54 PM

Actually, if the Find my iPad feature is linked to an email account like my iPhone is to mobileME, you can apply a restriction that changes to email accounts are not permitted. To change restrictions, you need a passcode.

4 taps just went out the window.

TheOrioles33
Aug 25, 2011, 02:59 PM
Some "toy", huh?

iPads are finding new roles every day, from the medical community, to airline industry, to sports industry, etc.

This was bound to happen, but a lot of the naysayers have all the imagination of buried rock.

I agree 100%. I'm so SICK of hearing people say the iPad is an overprice toy. Narrow minded idiots.

----------

Actually, if the Find my iPad feature is linked to an email account like my iPhone is to mobileME, you can apply a restriction that changes to email accounts are not permitted. To change restrictions, you need a passcode.

I'm each one will be required to have a lock code.

Apple OC
Aug 25, 2011, 02:59 PM
The Bucs need all the help they can get ... Go Cowboys :D

TheOrioles33
Aug 25, 2011, 03:00 PM
I don't get it.

Would you rather hold a bulky laptop the whole game that would probably die before the game ended or a nice light iPad?

tlevier
Aug 25, 2011, 03:21 PM
I agree 100%. I'm so SICK of hearing people say the iPad is an overprice toy. Narrow minded idiots.

I think you misheard them. I think people say that it's "overpriced as a toy". If you can find a productive use for it, the price is fantastic.

ugahairydawgs
Aug 25, 2011, 03:22 PM
As soon as I saw this article (being a football fan). I thought of what would happen if they lost their ipad (there was a huge spygate scandel recently, related to cheating, and finding out play calls)

Then I read this

Perfect idea

Unless the thief just removes the Find my iPad app.

BC2009
Aug 25, 2011, 03:27 PM

If you had the old school binder full of plays and lost that what then? You have no options.

1) Tap Settings
2) Tap General
3) Tap Restrictions
4) Tap "Enable Restrictions"
5) Enter Passcode
6) Confirm Passcode
7) Tap Accounts
8) Tap "Don't Allow Changes"

Those 8 steps will prevent anybody from disabling your "Find my iPad" without shutting down the device completely and then trying to extract the data by some other means. Requires a bit more expertise than thumbing through paper.

EDIT: As KnightWRX points out, putting the device in "Airplane Mode" will disable the "Find my iPhone" / "Find my iPad" feature. That stinks.

tlevier
Aug 25, 2011, 03:33 PM
Unless the thief just removes the Find my iPad app.

The find my iPad app only let's you find your iPad (which is not in your hands). The tracking feature is built into the email client, which can be locked down by restrictions. Even if what you suggested were true, you could set a restriction to dis-allow deleting apps. Changing restrictions requires a passcode. You can also set a passcode to unlock the iPad. That makes it a completely information secure device.

mac*jedi*g
Aug 25, 2011, 05:09 PM
If this really works out for them, think of the advantage and precision of plays they would have over the rest of the league. If they take this up in the booth with the OC, they could organize the gameplan on one surface and see thumbnails of the plays before the next one is called. Definitely speeds up the game.

acfusion29
Aug 25, 2011, 07:03 PM
everyone is crying over Find my iPad?

just password lock the entire device and everything is safe. jeeze :rolleyes:

michwags19
Aug 25, 2011, 08:08 PM
what app are they using to do all this? I am a football coach and would love to do something with the iPad.

zync
Aug 25, 2011, 09:04 PM
Wow. Finally there's news out of Tampa that doesn't make us look like idiots, statutory rapists, copkillers, or motorists guilty of manslaughter. Though to be fair, most of out population wasn't born here so maybe we just take the worst from everywhere else.

That said, this IS pretty cool.

Sweet! Josh Freeman, the Bucs QB, is my fantasy QB in one of my leagues this year. I hope this tech advantage results in increased production and more fantasy points. :D

Don't hold your breath. At this point, I'd bet the Lightning could beat the Bucs.

KnightWRX
Aug 26, 2011, 06:49 AM
Would you rather hold a bulky laptop the whole game that would probably die before the game ended or a nice light iPad?

Maybe I'd rather hold a nice light laptop with 8 hours of battery life. ;)

1) Tap Settings
2) Tap General
3) Tap Restrictions
5) Enter Passcode
6) Confirm Passcode
7) Tap Accounts

Those 8 steps will prevent anybody from disabling your "Find my iPad" without shutting down the device completely ...

Or

1) Tap Settings
2) Slide to On next to Airplane mode

:eek: Try to find your iPad now!

aprilfools
Aug 26, 2011, 07:17 AM
It is interesting that no one seems to ever mention the fact that the screen of an iPad is very difficult to see in the daytime sunlight. I have polarized sunglasses and have to take them completely off to see anything on my iPad and than it's just too bright to see anything at all on it.

It is great to see all these new uses for the iPad but what good is it if you can't see the screen when outside in the sun? How the hell are pilots going to be able to see the iPad? and used as a playbook for football teams? hello? how is this possible?

Apple needs to fix the screen so it can be easily read in the daytime sunlight and than I can actually believe all the hype I'm reading about all these new uses for the iPad.

Ksizzle9
Aug 26, 2011, 10:45 AM
i know a lot of people will think I'm lying, but next time i see my cuz i will post some sort of screen shots. My older cuz is a scout for the Bucs. he started off as a grad assistant at University of Tennessee back in the late 90's when UT was one of the top teams in the nations. He came in for July 4th this year and showed me this on his iPad. instead of carrying around all of his scouting reports and tons of video, he keeps everything work related on his iPad. i thought this is awesome, of course the team gives them their own custom tailored app. this is a perfect example of what the iPad is perfect for.

zync
Aug 26, 2011, 10:56 AM
Apple needs to fix the screen so it can be easily read in the daytime sunlight and than I can actually believe all the hype I'm reading about all these new uses for the iPad.

I don't have a problem with my iPhone, except for the polarized sunglasses part, but I just take them off—problem solved. It's plenty bright after that.

My older cuz is a scout for the Bucs. he started off as a grad assistant at University of Tennessee back in the late 90's when UT was one of the top teams in the nations.

Minor note: You should never mention the Bucs and call the University of Tennessee—or Texas—UT in the same paragraph. UT is the University of Tampa. They own ut.edu. That makes them the official UT. The internet says so. :D

nishioka
Aug 26, 2011, 01:29 PM

Yes, but the form factor offers some new applications. Ndamukong Suh ponied up a bunch of money to get iPads mounted in the locker room at the University of Nebraska so football coaches could communicate announcements and such to players. Giving the players iPads would have been a violation of NCAA rules; mounting them inside the locker makes them a facility amenity. You can't do that nearly as easily with a laptop.

Obviously this isn't an issue with pro football players, but the remote wipe feature comes in handy if somebody loses their iPad or doesn't turn it back in after they get cut/traded.

MacNewsFix
Aug 26, 2011, 01:54 PM
Some "toy", huh?

Frankly, I'm surprised we got all the way to post #12 in the thread before the iToy debate was even brought up. :p Know that I'm right there with you guys, though. I'm not sure when the definition of a "true computer" included complexity as a requirement. It reminds me when some techies as recent as ten years ago use to tell me any GUI interface was "a toy" and that, if I was going to use a computer, I should never stray from the CLI. Oh, brother! :rolleyes:

It is interesting that no one seems to ever mention the fact that the screen of an iPad is very difficult to see in the daytime sunlight. I have polarized sunglasses and have to take them completely off to see anything on my iPad and than it's just too bright to see anything at all on it.

You're neglecting the function of easier distribution of the playbook to players so they can memorize plays. Having an ultraportable device to carry plays around and reviewing by just swiping back and forth seems very advantageous. Also, updates can likely just be pushed.

As for visibility, there is film you can put over the screen to reduce glare, and you can use case covers to avoid sunlight.

http://theonbutton.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/p1030026.jpg?w=500&h=375

BC2009
Aug 26, 2011, 05:12 PM
1) Tap Settings
2) Slide to On next to Airplane mode

:eek: Try to find your iPad now!

Aaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!! Never thought of that. Crud -- they really do need to make a way around disabling the "Find my iPad" feature!

Ksizzle9
Aug 26, 2011, 05:28 PM
I don't have a problem with my iPhone, except for the polarized sunglasses part, but I just take them off—problem solved. It's plenty bright after that.

Minor note: You should never mention the Bucs and call the University of Tennessee—or Texas—UT in the same paragraph. UT is the University of Tampa. They own ut.edu. That makes them the official UT. The internet says so. :D

haha, well, where i was born in knoxville, the only UT in the entire world is University of Tennessee! but point taken. i actually spoke with my cousin a little while ago when i sent him the link to this and it was actually in the news paper somewhere in tampa, don't know what the paper is called as i have never even visited tampa. Interesting, glad to see apple can make it in the NFL as well.

linux2mac
Aug 28, 2011, 05:18 PM

Exactly, unless they figure out a way to passcode protect a paper binder. LOL

zync
Aug 28, 2011, 09:13 PM
haha, well, where i was born in knoxville, the only UT in the entire world is University of Tennessee! but point taken. i actually spoke with my cousin a little while ago when i sent him the link to this and it was actually in the news paper somewhere in tampa, don't know what the paper is called as i have never even visited tampa. Interesting, glad to see apple can make it in the NFL as well.

lol, I was just throwing that out there. I saw the headline too. I don't remember which one it was either. I think it was in the Tampa Tribune. The other major one is the St. Pete Times.

I was in Knoxville a month ago. It's a nice city, and it reminded me a lot of Tampa actually (except for those weird one lane underpasses :)).

alectheking
Aug 29, 2011, 01:52 AM
1) Tap Settings
2) Tap General
3) Tap Restrictions
5) Enter Passcode
6) Confirm Passcode
7) Tap Accounts

Those 8 steps will prevent anybody from disabling your "Find my iPad" without shutting down the device completely and then trying to extract the data by some other means. Requires a bit more expertise than thumbing through paper.

EDIT: As KnightWRX points out, putting the device in "Airplane Mode" will disable the "Find my iPhone" / "Find my iPad" feature. That stinks.

Not only that, but under IOS 5, even with restrictions for accounts set to "on", you can easily just go to the "location settings" pane and disable Find my iPhone.

Edit: Nevermind, I now see you can even restrict Location Settings. Still, Airplane mode kills it completely.