PDA

View Full Version : Garageband user... is it time for logic?

elvtnedge
Aug 25, 2011, 02:47 PM
I've been getting more and more into home recording over the last few months and I'm not sure if I'm missing some how-to in Garageband or maybe these features just aren't built in, and the next step would be logic.

A couple of things off the top of my head that I need the use of are:

1) Punch in - to select a spot in the track and arm it for recording. I can play along before that point and once it hits that marker it starts recording until I stop it.

2) beable to select an audio track and loop a section so that I can tweak and it will keep looping that part over (let's say a solo for example and I want to change the amp sims)

3) select a point in the song and when I stop playback it will go back to that spot. This is key for me with solos where if I want to do it again I have to constantly rewind, it's minor but major to me.

4) I have a MBP 2.4 core duo 2 with 4 Gigs ram and a firewire interface and Garageband acts a little strange (glitchy sometimes) with 9 audio tracks and 3 midi tracks... would any of this change in Logic by any chance? Does Logic handle plugins better than Garageband?

5) I find it rather hard to do single increments when it comes to panning, track volume swells etc

6) does logic have the ability to slow the tempo for tricky passages and or transpose the song?

7) if I record a drum part via midi keyboard, I can't overdub some of the kit. What I mean is lets say I record kick and snare and then want to hit record and now insert the hi-hat and maybe cymbals, I can't. I would have to manually enter them in via piano roll. Is this different in Logic?

Jmouse
Aug 25, 2011, 09:43 PM
The more you get into fine tuning, you will find garage band has it's limitations.

I would suggest ableton live , logic.

Probably go for logic as it a really good DAW.