PDA

View Full Version : Canon 60D vs Nikon D7000: take2

bluap84
Aug 26, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hi All

I posted my question about the differences for filming between these two cameras here! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1219241)

But can you advise me on the photography side of things? I really cant make my mind up

flosseR
Aug 26, 2011, 01:25 PM
D7000 :).. hands down.. why? because I shoot with it and i love the photos :).. put some nice glass on it and its autofocus and sensor excels.

BJMRamage
Aug 26, 2011, 02:43 PM
D7k shooter here...up from a D70.

very nice jump up. from what I've read Nikon doesn't do video as well as Canon. however, i know my photos are very good with the D7k and speed/light/cropping (making vertical horizontal and still a decent photo...or just regular cropping and still a good shot) ability are superb.

the D7k uses the "architecture" that allows for the latest hi-speed SD media (can't think of the name right now).
I've used the video in a slideshow and it is great. it was low-light forest filming.

And1ss
Aug 26, 2011, 08:12 PM
Another perspective, nikon glass tends to be a bit more expensive than canon class, especially the pro-lens. Just fyi.

I prefer d7000, nikon user myself. However, against the 7d...hmmmm.

mackmgg
Aug 26, 2011, 10:17 PM
I don't think you will be able to find the answer to this question online. I'm personally a Canon user, but the D7000 seems a lot nicer than the 60D. The only way to know for you though is to try them in the store. In the end, it comes down to feel. Canon and Nikon are both great choices, and the only way to know which one you'd like the best is to hold both and see which feels right to you.

wmcy
Aug 26, 2011, 10:50 PM
I don't know about the 60d , but if you Google Nikon D7000 vs the Canon 7D, the Nikon wins over and over. It stands to reason that D7k > 60d.

Wm.

rkmac
Aug 27, 2011, 02:36 AM
Personally I have the 60D, but thats because I already had Canon glass.
The reason I didn't go for the 7D is because this is really a camera to hold me over until the 5D mk III comes out and I felt like a 60D would do just fine until then.
It has been a great camera. I personally have no experience with Nikon gear, so I really cant comment on the D7000.

richpjr
Aug 27, 2011, 09:39 AM
They are both great cameras and you really won't make a bad choice either way. I personally went the 60D route, though I looked long and hard and thought about selling my modest Canon lens collections and switching over to the D7000. In the end, I went with the 60D because it's cheaper, video is better on it, and I would not have to hassle with selling lenses and spending even more money for Nikon equivalents. If I was starting over and had no glass already and videos weren't important (cannot emphasize how important an articulating screen is for video), I'd have gone the D7000 route.

Keleko
Aug 27, 2011, 05:41 PM
When I was looking at buying my camera I looked at both the 60D and the D7000. The main reason I picked the 60D is because I know other people with Canons and can share with them. That proved to be the right decision when I was able to buy a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM used from a friend for much less than a new one would cost.

coryndiego
Aug 29, 2011, 12:02 AM
I recently upgraded to a D7000 from a Sony DSC-F717. I absolutely love my Sony but felt I had outgrown it and wanted to get a camera that would be good for at least 6-7 years and could help me grow into a better photographer. This decision was not easy. I researched and studied canon vs nikon vs sony and landed on the D7000 for the image quality and new sensor (Happened to be a Sony sensor)

I received the D7000 Aug. 23rd and have been getting to know it with a few different lenses. I bought the Nikkor 18-55 VR refurb, Nikkor 55-200 VR refuurb, Tamron 70-300 DI (from craigslist...great condition!), and a 35mm 1.8G new. I bought all the lenses and the body for as much as the 18-105 kit would have been. Hopefully, once I' get comfortable with it and figure out where my shot pattern lies I can purchase a better lens.
So far, I'm impressed! I can't wait to use it more and find out what it can really do! The weight is just right and my big hands fit around it well. It is on the verge of being too small but I've ordered a grip to help with the big hand size issue.

I have wondered what the 60D would be like to use vs the D7000 and would like to get ahold of one to compare.
I haven't looked around for a 60d and D7000 image forum yet but it would be great to see the different images they can both produce.

THX1139
Aug 29, 2011, 12:33 AM
I'm not sure why you felt the need to start a new thread, because the differences between the 2 cameras for video AND photography was answered over there.

Also, have you ever heard of google? If you go to the google website and do a search for reviews of those 2 cameras, you'll find a slew of information.

Are you scared and trying to get people to talk you into spending your money? Go to Amazon and order a 60D (it's on sale until the 3rd). If you don't like it, return it. Or try the same thing with the 7000. Or, go to bestbuy or any camera store and hold them in your hand. Go to the review sites to get opinions on image quality (it's the glass, not the camera).

BTW, I ordered a 60D about 20 minutes ago. If I were doing mostly photography, I'd have gone with the Nikon. I love the Nikon body and glass, but the video options are way better on the Canon. Since I shoot both video and stills and want high quality video at an affordable price, the Canon was the better option for me.

HBOC
Aug 30, 2011, 12:21 PM
you stated you are interested in the video capabilities, so that means the 60D (7Ds are coming down in price though) would be the obvious choice.

If it were strictly for photography, I wouldn't even look at the 60D. The D7K has a far superior AF system and is built better. I think the 60D has a pathetic 9pt AF whereas the D7K has 39. Oh and I do shoot Canon and have for 16 years. Canon just needs to up their game.

richpjr
Aug 30, 2011, 11:50 PM
you stated you are interested in the video capabilities, so that means the 60D (7Ds are coming down in price though) would be the obvious choice.

If it were strictly for photography, I wouldn't even look at the 60D. The D7K has a far superior AF system and is built better. I think the 60D has a pathetic 9pt AF whereas the D7K has 39. Oh and I do shoot Canon and have for 16 years. Canon just needs to up their game.

Depends on what you are shooting. If you were shooting sports, sure the 7D is better suited for that. But if money is an issue, it's also almost twice the price of the 60D. Since they both have the same sensor, that may factor into one's buying decision.

HBOC
Aug 31, 2011, 01:33 PM
Depends on what you are shooting. If you were shooting sports, sure the 7D is better suited for that. But if money is an issue, it's also almost twice the price of the 60D. Since they both have the same sensor, that may factor into one's buying decision.

I have seen 7Ds on Canons' refurbed site go for $1199, but they sell out quickly. The used market is going down as well, but still makes it a bit more than a 60D.

nateo200
Sep 3, 2011, 06:56 PM
I prefer d7000, nikon user myself. However, against the 7d...hmmmm.

The 550D, 60D and 7D all use extremely similar sensors so I find that interesting...There is something about Nikon I really dislike...maybe its Ashton Kutcher running around like a dork with their mid level cameras or maybe its their menu set up..idk I've got an L120 Coolpix so I guess I can't really talk about Nikons. Everytime I go to hold a Nikon it feels funny to me...idk what it is but I'll stick with Canon they just feel right to me. Two of my friends switched from Nikon's and Pentax's to Canon's; One friend has a 60D and another has a T3 and I have the T2i (550D). I think me and my friends have come to the conclusion that Canon's low level DSLR's are very impressive especially for video. Make no mistake though the Canon 5D Mark II is king of the hills at least for filming prime time TV shows on Fox (see 5D MkII and House MD entire season 7).

mackmgg
Sep 3, 2011, 07:32 PM
Everytime I go to hold a Nikon it feels funny to me

That's pretty much the only difference between Canon and Nikon at this point. Both make great cameras, but they have different button arrangements. The only way to know which one is better for you is to go to a store, and try them both. You can't tell that by looking at the internet, and no amount of reviews/suggestions will be personalized to you. And in the end, it's personal. I personally like the feel of Canons better, some people like the feel of Nikons better. There is no right or wrong answer between them.

flynz4
Sep 3, 2011, 10:55 PM
The big choice is your glass. Overall, I think the camera itself is almost immaterial.

I have a lot of pretty nice Nikon lenses. If you buy nice lenses they hold their vaue... where as the camera bodies depreciate very quickly. For example, the 14-28 f2.8, 28-70 f2.82.8, and 70-200 f2.8 is an incredible set of lenses that will cost you a small fortune, but will hold their value almost indefinitely. I also have a variable f-stop 17-200 which is OK as a general purpose walk around lens.

My latest body is a Nikon D7000. I chose it over the D5100 for a few reasons... the most important being the fact that it supports dual SD card slots. I run them in a Slot1 + Slot2 (duplicate) mode. That way my photos are redundantly stored on two SD cards. This is important if you have a flash card failure during a critical shoot. It doesn't happen often (only once for me)... but it can be catastrophic.

/Jim

nateo200
Sep 6, 2011, 04:26 PM
I run them in a Slot1 + Slot2 (duplicate) mode. That way my photos are redundantly stored on two SD cards. This is important if you have a flash card failure during a critical shoot. It doesn't happen often (only once for me)... but it can be catastrophic.

/Jim
Agreed. As far as I know no Canon's support dual SD card's (though I think some support dual CF cards). Either way its a great fails safe. For the record I really hate how the high end DSLRs use CF cards and the low end ones use SD cards....its just...a pain. I have a 550D which takes SD cards and I have about 48gigs worth of usuable SD cards (I have probably more but I can't rely on a Class 2 card, Class 4 is the lowest I'll even then I always have something faster in case I decide to shoot RAW really fast or shoot 60fps stuff); if I ever get something like a 7D (probably won't given the similarities to the 550D) I'll have to buy new cards....not really to big of a deal since they expect if you can drop 1700 on a camera you can buy some CF cards too but still....

flynz4
Sep 6, 2011, 11:19 PM
Agreed. As far as I know no Canon's support dual SD card's (though I think some support dual CF cards). Either way its a great fails safe. For the record I really hate how the high end DSLRs use CF cards and the low end ones use SD cards....its just...a pain. I have a 550D which takes SD cards and I have about 48gigs worth of usuable SD cards (I have probably more but I can't rely on a Class 2 card, Class 4 is the lowest I'll even then I always have something faster in case I decide to shoot RAW really fast or shoot 60fps stuff); if I ever get something like a 7D (probably won't given the similarities to the 550D) I'll have to buy new cards....not really to big of a deal since they expect if you can drop 1700 on a camera you can buy some CF cards too but still....

My camera came with a small 4GB Class 10 SanDisk Extreme SD card. My first purchase was a pair of 32GB newer UHS-1 SanDisk Extreme Pro cards. In my tests, the UHS-1 was no faster in the D7000 than the Class 10s.

My second purchase was a pair of 16GB Class 10 SanDisk Extreme SD cards.

It might end up that the UHS-1 cards will upload faster in a future version of the iMAC. My current machine (late 2009 iMac) uploads the Class 10 and the UHS-1 at the same speed. In any case, upload speed into my iMac is of minimal importance to me.

/Jim