PDA

View Full Version : 2011 13" - will it handle virtualised Windows

conkerbot
Aug 26, 2011, 11:19 AM
Pretty simple question - has anyone virtualised Windows on their MBA and what was it like? Need to run Visual Studio (for Computing class) and the SSD's a little on the small side to consider bootcamping, so if the MBA won't handle virtualisation I'll probably get a Windows Laptop. Thanks in advance :)

jsolares
Aug 26, 2011, 11:25 AM
Pretty simple question - has anyone virtualised Windows on their MBA and what was it like? Need to run Visual Studio (for Computing class) and the SSD's a little on the small side to consider bootcamping, so if the MBA won't handle virtualisation I'll probably get a Windows Laptop. Thanks in advance :)

It runs great, i have 2008 R2 server also for visual studio (work not class), it feels better in the air than in the iMac due to the SSD.

And it runs a lot better than my old vostro v13 (granted it has a celeron cpu but also had 4GB of ram)

conkerbot
Aug 26, 2011, 11:42 AM
It runs great, i have 2008 R2 server also for visual studio (work not class), it feels better in the air than in the iMac due to the SSD.

And it runs a lot better than my old vostro v13 (granted it has a celeron cpu but also had 4GB of ram)

Thank you :) I'm just going to use my stripped down image of Windows 7 as well so should run well. Make sure I'll up to the i7 just to be sure

ZBoater
Aug 26, 2011, 11:51 AM

I run Windows 7 in Bootcamp and I also run Parallels. The MBA runs Windows better than any other laptop I've ever since (this is my first Mac, I used to be a Windows guy). It runs perrrrrfect. I boot into native Windows if I want to run a game or some other intensive application, and I run it as a virtual machine inside of OS X using Parallels for everything else. I've had all of the Microsoft Office suite for Windows open along with Quicken and several browser windows, and the MBA did not hesitate. It was simply amazing.

2IS
Aug 26, 2011, 11:55 AM
I run Parallels+Windows 7 on a 2010 C2D 1.86GHz/4GB ram and it does fine, so yeah, your 2011 will handle it without issue.