Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Hi guys I want to get a digital camera as my iPhone doesn't really cut it and want something that will give better pictures than a point and shoot camera.

I have been looking at the new Sony nex 5n and lumix gf3. I don't want anything to complicated but would live very high quality pictures. Without having to play with lots of settings I dont understand. Would any of these 2 cameras be any good for my needs or can you recommend something else ? One feature I would really likens gps tagging like my iPhone does but can only find point and shoot cameras or high dslr's with this feature

Please help me out I'm very confused :apple:

theusualsuspect

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
Personally I like the micro 4/3 system (Panasonic and Olympus). Sony's technology with the nex is pretty interesting, and the picture quality will be better in low light (all things equal due to the larger sensor), but Panasonic and Olympus together make for a more compelling case.

The micro 4/3 system has more lenses, is more mature (though not by much), and has more options to choose from than Sony. Picking a dSLR is like making an investment. If you think you'll get lenses for it (which eat up the most cost), you don't want to change teams. Therefore, consider the direction of the companies before you jump in.

On the other hand, if you're just looking to get something better than a point and shoot, either one will probably work. I'd still aim for a the panny since it has a better user interface, but you'll be blown away by either option.

dpreview.com is a great source for more info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.