Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
OK, lets see if I can explain this to make it simple. Mac Mini in-rout and I want to set up my mail account.

I already have Hotmail / G-mail / and Yahoo on my PC that will go into the closet upon recieving the Mac Mini.

I have a cable modem from Brighthouse, but have not used my very old POP account from them in a decade or so and do not know it anylonger.

Is it possible to just log onto the internet when I hook up my Mac Mini and get into my Gmail/hotmail/yahoo or do I have to go through some hoops for this what I believe to be a simple task ?

Please tell me it is that simple :eek:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You can use OS X's built-in Mail app. All you need is the email address and password, it's very simple.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Just to clarify, all I do is put in the Mail app the g-mail account, enter my account name and password, without all that POP or SMTP stuff that I do not know or would I have to call Google/hotmail in order to get this mail.

Can I just go into Hotmail.com/Gmail.com and log into my account that way ?

That is how I do it now and its simple without going into or setting up another account first.

Thanks, I tried googling this information and it never came back with a good answer on how to do it step by step or the easy way I described above. :eek:

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Just to clarify, all I do is put in the Mail app the g-mail account, enter my account name and password, without all that POP or SMTP stuff that I do not know or would I have to call Google/hotmail in order to get this mail.

Can I just go into Hotmail.com/Gmail.com and log into my account that way ?

That is how I do it now and its simple without going into or setting up another account first.

Thanks, I tried googling this information and it never came back with a good answer on how to do it step by step or the easy way I described above. :eek:

You can login into their web sites to handle your email or as suggested, setup the native Mac OS mail client by just typing in your username and password. These settings are automatic for most major services like Yahoo, Gmail and AOL. I don't remember if hotmail is included and your local providers setup won't be in there, so you'll need to know there specific info, which should be easy enough to get by logging into there support web site.

I personally hate web mail, so using the native email client is the option I use.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Thank you for taking your time with this question. Was wondering about this before turning off my PC for the last time. ;)

Just read another site doing google search and found that one can just sign into gmail or yahoo as I do now from going to the web.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.