Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrutusMaximus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
if i was to install one the virtualization softwares, is it possible to dual boot via bootcamp, say for gaming? I'd like to use one of them for simple tasks in windows, but when it comes to gaming i'm reading that the virtualization software eats up a lot, reducing the quality of the game.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
if i was to install one the virtualization softwares, is it possible to dual boot via bootcamp, say for gaming? I'd like to use one of them for simple tasks in windows, but when it comes to gaming i'm reading that the virtualization software eats up a lot, reducing the quality of the game.

Yes, it is possible. This is how I have my MacBook Air setup. I installed Windows 7 using Bootcamp, and when that was working good I then installed Parallels, and it walked me through the process of using the bootcamp installation as a source for a VM. Very easy, very painless.

BrutusMaximus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
So are you still able to go back and boot directly into windows with out using parallels?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
You can go back and forth between a VM and booting natively (Bootcamp). You just need to shutdown the VM, rather than suspend.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
So are you still able to go back and boot directly into windows with out using parallels?

Yes. When you turn the MacBook Air on you hold down the Option key, and the two drives show up. You then click on the one labeled Windows, and voila! You are booting native into Windows, no Mac OS to be found anywhere.

----------

You can go back and forth between a VM and booting natively (Bootcamp). You just need to shutdown the VM, rather than suspend.

Good point. You need to get into the habit of killing the VM, otherwise it gets confused between what you no when you are native and what you do when you are in a VM.

sfscott

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Can you go the other way?

I have Windows XP installed on my MB Pro under Fusion.

Is it possible to use Bootcamp using that install of Windows? I don't think I did anything with Bootcamp when I brought up the MB as new.

I'm now on Lion, FWIW, if that matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.