Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBpro

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Chicago, IL
I have been using smart cover since I bought my iPad2 last month. I also used a Belkin Snap Shield to protect the back. I really like it until two weeks ago on my UK trip.

I accidentally held the smart cover and the iPad was dropped :( ….. I know about this potential problem, but I don’t believe it would happen to me.

The lower left corner screen was cracked but iPad 2 still works. My UK colleague had the same experience few weeks ago and he replaced the back cover with ZUM SC ultimate. The case has a special smart cover lock to secure the ipad which prevents ipad2 from dropping. The case is very thin and can retain the slim look of the ipad2. Good quality case, but never heard about the brand. I know incipio has something similar.

I had to replace the back and screen and it costs me $300, but thanks god I was covered by AMEX.

I tried my colleague's smart feather, but I don't like they only have solid colors. I though incipio offers transparent colors other than frost. I don’t want to cover the brilliant looking ipad2 back. Also the incipio or the snap shield left the top and bottom section unprotected and expose to scratches. My ipad2 had some hairline scratch before the drop because of that.

I decided to go for my UK colleague's case. I tried to find the case but no luck. But I found their youtube videos, pretty interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibT5CEvKoHM

Finally I called their office in Houston. They told me they just started selling in US and I can find their case in amazon now!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_electronics?_encoding=UTF8&node=172282&field-brandtextbin=ZUM

I finally got the case and it was better than I have expected. The case provides excellent protection on the entire back and even the speaker area. The only thing I don't like is the vol control button area, which is little bit too small. Other than that I really like it.

Mcbee

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
LA, CA
Wish I had read your recommendation earlier. I just broke my iPad 2 last week because of the design flaw of the smart cover. I have spent more than $150 to fix just the screen in local repair shop. Actually the back was seriously scratched, but man ... just cost too much... almost like buying a new machine....

I ordered the frost color zum sc ultimate from Amazon. The case arrived very fast in a nice packaging. THe case is extremely slim and well constructed. It has a very nice coating outside. After I put it on, it just fit perfectly. The best thing I like is the back protection. The case covers almost the entire back. I believe it provides the best back coverage in the market.

Just wish I had this case earlier...

Attachments

• poor ipad 2.jpg
    poor ipad 2.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 157

TXAGS

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
College Station, TX
Thanks for your recommendation. Just got the zum case from amazon today. It works perfectly with the smart cover. Ordered the frost colors, and it is so slim and looks like invisible when I put it on.

The case really keeps the original slim look of the ipad 2.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Is this still the best? Or something better now?

Does this work for iPad 1? 2? 3?

"Best" is a relative term, but if you're looking for a case that locks the Smart Cover to the case the Zum is the best in my opinion. They are selling them on Amazon in two versions, The old kind comes in multiple colors but only works on the iPad 2. The new model works on iPad 2 and The New iPad but only comes in frost.Here are several links to threads discussing the Zum

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
"Best" is a relative term, but if you're looking for a case that locks the Smart Cover to the case the Zum is the best in my opinion. They are selling them on Amazon in two versions, The old kind comes in multiple colors but only works on the iPad 2. The new model works on iPad 2 and The New iPad but only comes in frost.Here are several links to threads discussing the Zum

Thanks for the insight. Will check more detail. 1Q: Does the prev one work with the original iPad 1? I just got one pre-owned for family.

MrRon

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Miami, FL
Thanks for the insight. Will check more detail. 1Q: Does the prev one work with the original iPad 1? I just got one pre-owned for family.

NO IT DOES NOT FIT!! The Zum back covers are specially designed for the specific models. iPad 2 back cover is only for iPad 2.:)

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
NO IT DOES NOT FIT!! The Zum back covers are specially designed for the specific models. iPad 2 back cover is only for iPad 2.:)

What would be the best one for iPad 1? Where do I go look for the same that work with iPad 1?

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
Man... smart cover is only for iPad2 & new ipad... u just need a basic back cover for ipad

Oh! you're saying the original iPad 1 did not have any kind of Smart Cover functionality in it. I had no idea.

Is there a thread around here that points the BEST of iPad 1 cases & covers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.