PDA

View Full Version : RAID on a powermac g5

steeleclipse
Apr 24, 2005, 11:21 PM
Can you run RAID (striping) on a powermac G5 with just two SATA drive bays? Im thinking of picking up a powermac G5 but only if i can run it in RAID, without adding any SATA cards or a third drive. If this is possible, does anybody know of any sites expaining more?

Thanks in advance :)

MacFan25863
Apr 24, 2005, 11:39 PM
Disk Utility can do that with no additional hardware.

CanadaRAM
Apr 24, 2005, 11:45 PM
Hmm.. Theoretically you can. Why would you want to?

Current benchmarks that I have seen indicate that RAID0 is not particularly effective in speeding up desktop-pattern usage, and may even be slower under typical desktop use.

If you are doing this to stream high volume data, I still question the wisdom of streaming the data onto your boot volume. The alternative that has been discussed here is using a 10,000 RPM Raptor drive as the boot drive / scratch drive, and a large 7200 RPM drive for data. Similar benefit to RAID0 is accomplished by putting the data on one drive, and the Apps/System/Scratch on a separate drive, so they are accessed by independent heads.

Your RAID0 array would be your boot drive and your risk level for loss would be more extreme than I would want, myself.

You would have to boot from the OSX DVD, and use Disk Utility to initialize and stripe the two drives. This will delete all of the factory installed software on the drive, and you would have to resinstall OS X.

Search Apple support for RAID -XServe

"You must use two or more disks to create a RAID set. Apple RAID works with SCSI and IDE hard disks. You can include the startup disk in a RAID set if it's in Mac OS Extended (HFS Plus) format.

1. Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities.
2. Select a disk in the left column and click RAID.
3. Drag the disks or volumes you want to use from the left column into the Disk list on the right.
4. Choose either Stripe or Mirror from the RAID Scheme pop-up menu.

Striping a RAID set stores the information in segments across all disks ("stripes").

Mirroring duplicates the information on each disk in the RAID set.
5. Type a name for the RAID set and choose a format from the Volume Format pop-up menu.
6. Click Create. "

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

steeleclipse
Apr 24, 2005, 11:55 PM
thanks for your help! :D