Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I know I said that I didn't like Team Fortress 2. That was a mistake.

Last weekend, the kids were at my parents' house so the wife and I had te place to ourselves :D

There was also some time left to do some much overdue gaming, so I decided to take a closer look at Team Fortress 2. And lo and behold, I ended up playing longer than 15 minutes, breaking my infamous rule.
I found that there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. I headed over to google and discovered that the game is not just hype.
I had been wrong. TF2 is great. In fact, it grew on me over the weekend, so much so that I took a look at the other multiplayer source games (Day of Defeat, HL2 Deathmach and Counterstrike source). And guess what : I ended up buying Half Life 2, Ep1 & 2, and the Source multiplayer pack. I payed a little over 30 euro for the lot (must be about 35 dollars).

So I apologize : yes, TF2 is great, and so are the other Valve games. I'm looking into Left4Dead, Valve's got me completely convinced. Unfortunately, there's no mac demo. But I'll crack under the pressure sooner or later, I guess :p

My 15 minute-rule still applies, though : I still utterly and absolutely hate Portal ! :eek:

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I know I said that I didn't like Team Fortress 2. That was a mistake.

Last weekend, the kids were at my parents' house so the wife and I had te place to ourselves :D

There was also some time left to do some much overdue gaming, so I decided to take a closer look at Team Fortress 2. And lo and behold, I ended up playing longer than 15 minutes, breaking my infamous rule.
I found that there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. I headed over to google and discovered that the game is not just hype.
I had been wrong. TF2 is great. In fact, it grew on me over the weekend, so much so that I took a look at the other multiplayer source games (Day of Defeat, HL2 Deathmach and Counterstrike source). And guess what : I ended up buying Half Life 2, Ep1 & 2, and the Source multiplayer pack. I payed a little over 30 euro for the lot (must be about 35 dollars).

So I apologize : yes, TF2 is great, and so are the other Valve games. I'm looking into Left4Dead, Valve's got me completely convinced. Unfortunately, there's no mac demo. But I'll crack under the pressure sooner or later, I guess :p

My 15 minute-rule still applies, though : I still utterly and absolutely hate Portal ! :eek:

Don't buy Left4Dead! Get Left4Dead 2, as it now comes with all the maps and campaign from left4dead 1. It also has way more players online, it is a brilliant game, nothing like sneaking past a witch or panicing as a horde rush your when you are reloading!

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Play portal for more than 15 minutes and you'll be hooked, I guarantee it. Nothing much happens early on and its right easy but get into it and its really fun.

This is coming from someone who, like you, hated TF2 and is now hooked. Portal is free so why not at least give it a chance.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I have downloaded Portal and tried it for more than 15 minutes. It's just that I dislike it so much that it almost makes me nauseous. That voice... aaarrggghh.
Really, I was wrong about TF2, but this has no hope of ever convincing me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Don't buy Left4Dead! Get Left4Dead 2, as it now comes with all the maps and campaign from left4dead 1. It also has way more players online, it is a brilliant game, nothing like sneaking past a witch or panicing as a horde rush your when you are reloading!

But you are speaking of multiplayer maps, right? You can have one heck of a good time running through L4D1 campaign in 4 player coop which you won't find in L4D2.

Last edited:

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I have downloaded Portal and tried it for more than 15 minutes. It's just that I dislike it so much that it almost makes me nauseous. That voice... aaarrggghh.

TF2 - Great
HL2 (all episodes) - Brilliant
Portal 1 - Absolutely incredible
Portal 2 - <haven't played>
Left for Dead 2 - Despised it. Just found it to be totally dull and no fun.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada

I'll admit the voice for GLaDOS can get a bit annoying at times but its best to just listen to what is being said instead of the voice. What she's saying is funny lol. You could caption in and turn the sound off but her satire just isn't the same.

Also, CylonGlitch, I have portal 2 and its great. I dont find the overall gameplay is any better but it is at least on par and the storyline is much deeper than the first. Plus its a longer game and looks absolutely amazing. It's only 30 bucks on steam, well worth it if you ask me.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Please confirm this and show me a link that says exactly the same thing !

It is true. Not sure if they are all in there yet, but they are definitely adding them in. The original Left 4 Dead has different gameplay, so I guess it'd still be worth playing.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
It is true. Not sure if they are all in there yet, but they are definitely adding them in. The original Left 4 Dead has different gameplay, so I guess it'd still be worth playing.

The original L4D does not allow melee weapons and has a different cast of characters, not sure if they are in the add on for L4D2.

Also I was mistaken, i got this from the wiki, the L4D maps are supposed to come in the next DLC:

• Cold Stream with original Left 4 Dead campaigns

It is worth buying both currently then, they play fairly differently with 1 not having melee weapons.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
The best L4D campaign is in the second now, I forget its name but it has been for a while. It has the original characters which is pretty cool.

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK

Your 15 minute rule is not serving you well when it comes to Portal, which is truly outstanding! If there was a game to break the rule for it would be Portal! The voice is intended to be irritating, it is very worth while to persevere with this one. It isn't too much of a chore, the game only takes a few hours start to finish. Anyway, a thumbs up for portal for me and when I get some spare time portal 2 will take over!

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
You're all trying so hard to convince me, so I'll meet you half way. :p
I have Portal (it's free, after all) and I will try and play it for an hour or two, if and when I can find the time (between my sessions of Wow and my newly acquired Valve games)...
I'll let you know my findings...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

This is true.
No Mercy and Dead Air are our (my friends and I) fave campaigns but we still play them on L4D1. The first game is scarier and doesn't have silly over-powered weapons.

One of the best comparisons of the 2 games said "L4D1 is a Hitchcock thriller, L4D2 is a teen slash film". Even though the maps are the same the engine and director is completely different.

My 2p.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
There's also Gary's Mod. I've heard and read lots of contradicting stories, some saying it's an absolute must-have, others say it just isn't worth it.

I, on the other hand, I'm not sure what it really is. What does it do, or what can you do with it ?

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
There's also Gary's Mod. I've heard and read lots of contradicting stories, some saying it's an absolute must-have, others say it just isn't worth it.

I, on the other hand, I'm not sure what it really is. What does it do, or what can you do with it ?

Garry's Mod (officially abbreviated to GMod) is a sandbox physics game that allows the player to manipulate objects and experiment with physics using the Source engine.[3] Garry's Mod has been available on Steam's content delivery service since November 29, 2006.[1] Despite being a standalone game, Garry's Mod requires the user to own at least one game on Steam based on the Source engine, such as Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Portal, or Team Fortress 2.[1] It is also commonly used for the creation and publishing of videos[4][not in citation given] on YouTube, mainly from Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2, Portal and Left 4 Dead.

That was lifted from the Wikipedia page, its bascially a sandbox using the source engine so that you can create whatever you want.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia

Look up videos on Youtube. The main game is building stuff. You can combine any object with others, and use things such as rockets and string and balloons and such to create whatever you want. Rockets, fireworks, catapults, helicopters etc. Then there are also decent custom servers like parkour and survival. I'm not sure if I think its worth buying, I'd recommend watching some stuff about it first.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
You're all trying so hard to convince me, so I'll meet you half way. :p
I have Portal (it's free, after all) and I will try and play it for an hour or two, if and when I can find the time (between my sessions of Wow and my newly acquired Valve games)...
I'll let you know my findings...

You either "get" portal, or you dont,. its like marmite, you either love it or hate it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

You just build things with friends. Wait for a sale if you can. I used to find it hilarious fun - me and a friend threw a whole day of work away because it was so addictive. But we've never been back to it.

Jonathansm

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
Every single valve game is good I have been a valve fan boy since 1997 when half-life came out.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
You're at that phase where you love anything Valve make. A bit further down the line you will resent them more than you can imagine for the vapourware that is Half Life 2: Episode 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.