PDA

View Full Version : Unlocked iPhone w/o data. Will AT&T auto-add a data plan?

theNEOone
Aug 29, 2011, 08:46 AM
I have an unlocked iPhone and want to use data over wifi-only. I've disabled 3G and 2G (via SBSettings, there's a 'Data' option which I've disabled). Will AT&T still add data to my plan if I don't use their data network? Is the setting I've enabled in SBSetting sufficient to suppress all data requests over the cellular network?

=|

UngratefulNinja
Aug 29, 2011, 08:49 AM
Maybe. It's happened to some here and some it hasn't. It's a gamble.

maturola
Aug 29, 2011, 02:30 PM
Will AT&T still add data to my plan if I don't use their data network?

Yes, most likely

Is the setting I've enabled in SBSetting sufficient to suppress all data requests over the cellular network?

=|

No, SBSsetting is NOT sufficient.

However as mentioned before you "MAY" get lucky as some user had before but this is due to an overlook or glitch than anything else, the system will know you have no data plan and it will add it.

theNEOone
Aug 29, 2011, 02:31 PM
:(

Carl G35c
Aug 29, 2011, 04:22 PM
if its a factory unlocked iPhone, you should be fine. But if it was an iPhone that came locked from ATT, they have that IMEI on file and can tell when its used, and they'll attach that data plan

theNEOone
Aug 29, 2011, 04:50 PM
if its a factory unlocked iPhone, you should be fine. But if it was an iPhone that came locked from ATT, they have that IMEI on file and can tell when its used, and they'll attach that data plan

What if it was a factory unlocked iPhone (purchased overseas) that was subsequently brought into the US, and then used as an iPhone (w/ a data plan and all on AT&T), then had the plan cancelled? It's been re-jailbroken and unlocked (a bit unnecessary, but w/e).

=|

chuckd83
Aug 29, 2011, 06:25 PM
I have an unlocked iPhone and want to use data over wifi-only. I've disabled 3G and 2G (via SBSettings, there's a 'Data' option which I've disabled). Will AT&T still add data to my plan if I don't use their data network? Is the setting I've enabled in SBSetting sufficient to suppress all data requests over the cellular network?

=|

I did this for a year, no problem. They did not add a data plan. Some say it's hit or miss, so I guess for me it was a miss...or hit depending on how you look at it. ;)

ctbear
Aug 29, 2011, 06:59 PM
I had an unlocked 3GS purchased in Asia. AT&T added a data plan as soon as I inserted the sim card.

Applejuiced
Aug 29, 2011, 08:18 PM
They will add it sooner or later.

Minhthien
Aug 29, 2011, 09:00 PM
Call them to block data from you cell phone! Piece of cake!

awadeee
Aug 29, 2011, 10:19 PM
Their systems will detect sooner or later (probably sooner) that you are using an iPhone sans data. You will eventually have a data plan added.

eastercat
Aug 29, 2011, 10:38 PM
T-mobile and at&t's pre-paid doesn't add a data plan.