PDA

View Full Version : Alternative for Flash on G4

garycurtis
Aug 29, 2011, 08:28 PM
Where in do I find the info on which version of Adobe Flash I have?

I have the installer and want to get it out of the computer. Video screens (as in newspapers) and YouTube stopped working cold 10 days ago. Until I get an iMac (Intel), is there a Flash alternative?

----------

Make that "I have the uninstaller."
Is the version of Flash listed in About this Mac?

running OS 10.5.8, 2Gb of ram, 1.7Ghz cpu.

DESNOS
Aug 29, 2011, 08:29 PM
There is no alternative to flash as far as I know, however, you can get the ClicktoPlugin (based on ClicktoFlash) safari extension which will convert most if not all YouTube vids to HTML5, although I'm not sure if you can even get HTML5 on a G4...

EDIT: Guess you can if you're running leopard. It should work.
EDIT2: The extension works on many more sites than just YouTube, so it may solve your problem completely.

ThunderSnake
Aug 29, 2011, 08:49 PM
Where in do I find the info on which version of Adobe Flash I have?

In Firefox, go to "Tools" in menubar, click "Add-ons" and select "plug-ins."
In Safari, click "Help" in menubar and then click "Installed Plug-ins."

To uninstall, run this: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player_osx.dmg

You might then try installing a different version: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp_10.1.102.64_and_9.0.289.0_archive.zip

(Version 10.1.102.64 is the most recent that will run on a PPC.)

ThunderSnake
Aug 29, 2011, 09:04 PM
Make that "I have the uninstaller."
Is the version of Flash listed in About this Mac?

running OS 10.5.8, 2Gb of ram, 1.7Ghz cpu.

It's not necessary to know what version it is to uninstall it. Still, it's not a bad idea to check. That might be where your problem is.

What browser are you using, anyway? I assume that this is a G4 with an upgrade card of some sort? It really shouldn't have any trouble with 480P unless you're running Leopard on an upgraded Sawtooth with the original video card.

garycurtis
Aug 29, 2011, 09:28 PM
I am using TenFourFox, the new version of Firefox.

Thundersnake, I did the Uninstall. Then went to the Macromedia site, downloaded that Flash. Things look better on newspaper clips, the I still get a warning on YouTube to upgrade my version of Flash. Which I can't, of course, since it only works with Intel macs.

Thanks for your help. I am way out of my depth on this stuff. So, I'm saving my pennies to get my new iMac I5 machine.

ThunderSnake
Aug 29, 2011, 09:47 PM
I still get a warning on YouTube to upgrade my version of Flash

Which one did you install? Look for this file in the unzipped archive:

flashplayer10_1r102_64_ub_mac.dmg

The "ub" means universal binary

I'm not getting any error messages on Youtube and I'm using an older version than that (I'm also using Tenfourfox).

MAC MAN JW
Aug 30, 2011, 10:51 AM
Which one did you install? Look for this file in the unzipped archive:

flashplayer10_1r102_64_ub_mac.dmg

The "ub" means universal binary

I'm not getting any error messages on Youtube and I'm using an older version than that (I'm also using Tenfourfox).

No warning her as well. went to over 20 YouTube videos that did not work with html5 only flash and got no warning and they played fine. i can even play facebook games on my G5 with flash 10.1 just played on 8/30/2011 still works!. her is how to enable flash player in TenFourFox 6 Set tenfourfox.plugins.enabled to true in about:config.:)

garycurtis
Aug 30, 2011, 09:28 PM
Well, some nomenclature lessons are in order.

I can't find any tabs in the About TenFourFox pulldown.
When I go to tools>add ons the there are four buttons running down the left margin. Get Ad Ons, Extensions (none are listed),Appearance, Plugins. I have no plugins.

I noticed at the very top a little Gear symbol. Clicking that it offers the choice of a few things. Several refer to updates. They don't work. But I can Install Ad-on From file. Hitting that it allows me to browse my HD. I sent to the folder where i downloaded the Flash file (the one you specified) but the listings are greyed out. I cannot select one. Several are for Windows, one or two for Linux, and, of course the DMG installer for Mac.

My last posting is where things stand. Some slideshow graphics display. Videos, including YouTube don't. I get the message to upgrade.

I am way out of my depth here. Do you think I should search for a Preference file for TenFourFox and toss that to update the Application?
If not, what else?

ThunderSnake
Aug 30, 2011, 09:56 PM
I noticed at the very top a little Gear symbol. Clicking that it offers the choice of a few things. Several refer to updates. They don't work. But I can Install Ad-on From file. Hitting that it allows me to browse my HD. I sent to the folder where i downloaded the Flash file (the one you specified) but the listings are greyed out. I cannot select one. Several are for Windows, one or two for Linux, and, of course the DMG installer for Mac.

Double click on the DMG installer from Finder (not from within Firefox). In fact, just quit all open programs for now.

Double clicking this file (again, from the Finder) should create a new drive image on your desktop called "Flash Player". Double click this and then double click "Install Adobe Flash Player". Follow onscreen instructions from there.

Then restart Firefox.

garycurtis
Aug 31, 2011, 02:26 PM
Thundersnake,

I did an Uninstall of Flash. Then clicked on the DMG file. An Install disk Icon appeared on the desktop. I clicked on that.

Then restarted TenFourFox. Nothing has improved.

Note that the file titles I downloaded included one with ...mac... in the title. And one with ....UB... in the title. There were two folders available of Flash, one folder called DeBug. I didn't go to that folder. Should I try that version?

Thanks again for your savvy.

ThunderSnake
Aug 31, 2011, 03:37 PM
The one with "Mac" in the title is a stand-alone app for playing download files.

So, you ran the installer created by the UB file? In Firefox, go to Tools > Add-ons > Plug-ins and see if it's showing up now.

Is it showing up? Is it enabled?

Also, is JavaScript enabled (TenFourFox > Preferences > Content)?

You can trash the DeBug folder and all of the Linux, Solaris, and Windows files.

garycurtis
Aug 31, 2011, 07:24 PM
OK. I trashed the entire Debug folder.

Going to Tools>Addon>, when I select the PlugIns tab, none are listed. At the top of the screen is the message: TenFourFox does not accept Plugins. They are disabled by default."

Back to the Flash downloads. I have two choices:

a) ....Mac_SA.APP.Zip
b) ...Ub_Mac.DMG.

Which is correct? And should I run 'Uninstall" before installing one of these?

ThunderSnake
Aug 31, 2011, 09:26 PM
Going to Tools>Addon>, when I select the PlugIns tab, none are listed. At the top of the screen is the message: TenFourFox does not accept Plugins. They are disabled by default."

Weird. You had it installed and working at one point, didn't you? Enter "about:config" in the address bar of TenFourFox and check that...

1) "enabled.flash player.plugin" is set to "true"
2) "show_plugins_in_list" is set to "true"
?) quite possibly something else that I'm not thinking of...

her is how to enable flash player in TenFourFox 6 Set tenfourfox.plugins.enabled to true in about:config.:)

I don't have that line in my config menu, but look for that too. Maybe it's something that started with TenFourFox 6 (I'm using 5).

Is Flash working in Safari? If it is, that narrows it down to something that needs to be adjusted with TenFourFox.

If it's not working in Safari, and just to clarify, when you double-clicked on the installer, did you get this:

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc456/ThunderSnake/flash.jpg

Did everything seem to go okay with the install?

Which is correct? And should I run 'Uninstall" before installing one of these?

The DMG is the correct one. It might not hurt to run the uninstaller again just to be sure.

I'm heading to Dragon Con until Tuesday. If this post isn't helpful, hopefully someone else can help you figure it out. My feeling is that there must be something very simple that we are either overlooking or miscommunicating to each other. A 1.7 GHz machine running Leopard should be able to do what you are trying to do here.

If needed, here are links to a few more revisions of 10 and 10.1:
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp10.1_archive.zip (10_1r53_64 and 10_1r82_76)
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp10_archive.zip

FWIW, I'm using 10r3218.

garycurtis
Sep 1, 2011, 11:21 AM
Boy. Where do I start. I'll itemize a dilemma, coupled with a question.

Nowhere in the About 10-4-Fox screen is there a button for Config. The Help window of the Browser doesn't mention it. Config is not in any of the Menu Bar pull down items.

Flash installed, showing the sliding bar as you illustrated. It concluded successfully with the message: Finished.

I'll do an Uninstall again and start over. But, looking for a way out, should I dump the browser and go back to, a) Firefox or b)Safari.

In answer to your question, all was working well until about 10 days ago. Then I noticed the GRAY SCREEN in URL images, with the warning to 'upgrade Flash', with a link to Adobe Flash.

garycurtis
Sep 1, 2011, 01:56 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I dumped TenFourFox and installed Safari. It recognized the Flash plug in, and all video URLs work.

Two things puzzle me. Why do folks migrate to Firefox? And why do they considering that Mozilla doesn't seem to support their browsers?

By the way, the TenFourFox URL is down. Lots of fun, out here in cyberland.

I appreciate all your help.