Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Ohio
I have an iBook G4 and I have noticed that whenever the battery gets to be around 20%, the computer will just shut off without warning. It won't turn back on after this happens and it is like the battery is completely dead. I'm not sure if it's just not calibrated correctly and is showing completely wrong % values or if there's actually something wrong with the battery.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting the full life out of the battery?

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Download this battery utility:
http://www.coconut-flavour.com/
Coconut battery will show you what % of its maximum capacity your battery is at. This number decreases over time to the point where the battery stops functioning properly. This should give you some idea of what to do next.

EDIT: In terms of keeping your battery healthy though, the only recipe for that is usage. The more you use it (to a point), the slower it will deteriorate. Try to not keep it plugged in if you don't have to. I'm not too good about that myself though... :D

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Ohio
I have used coconut battery for a while and it says it still is at 92% capacity. But this battery did sit around for a while, it used to be my friends laptop and I bought it off him, he didn't use it very much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.