Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I've only briefly looked at a MBP anti-glare screen, and I wasn't able to compare it to my Air... So I was wondering some things

Are the screens the same? Is this what would be considered a "matte" display? Basically, I'm wondering if MBAs are using anti-glare screens just like the Pros can be custom ordered to have

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I've only briefly looked at a MBP anti-glare screen, and I wasn't able to compare it to my Air... So I was wondering some things

Are the screens the same? Is this what would be considered a "matte" display? Basically, I'm wondering if MBAs are using anti-glare screens just like the Pros can be custom ordered to have

No, they are not. They are using glossy screens. The difference is that they do not have the glass covering the screens like most of the MacBook Pros do.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I use mine inside so im not affected by the sun hitting the screen.

On balance tho I do live in the Uk so if I went outside our rainy climate would probably disagree with my MBA !! lol. :(

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009

I wrote a more detailed reply to a similar question a few months ago. The short answer:

MBA screen is glossy, with an anti-reflection coating
MBP screen is glossy, with an anti-reflection coating and an extra layer of glass over the screen (which has no coating)
MBP "anti-glare" is matte, no layer of extra glass. This option is only available on the 15 and 17" MBP, unfortunately.

In terms of susceptability to glare:

MBP AG < MBA < MBP

I have a MBP AG - am considering an MBA. Could not use a "standard" MBP because of the reflection issues. YMMV

jltj

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
I really appreciate the anti-reflection coating on the MBA. I have an iMac which I often watch movies on and I hate how I'd suddenly realise I'm staring at myself whenever a dark scene comes on, it takes me out of the moment! With the MBA, that doesn't happen, at worst, I might see a silhouette of myself in the screen, but the minor distraction is nothing compared to the iMac glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.