Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi,

I recently purchased my128gb ssd , 4gb ram mba but when deciding which model to choose I came across that the 64gb ssd 11" 2011 mba only had 2gb ram.

The next one up at 128gb has 4gb ram.

I know if you order online from apple you can customize the ram on a 64gb ssd, to have 4gb ram instead.

I just cant fathom why the stock model instore only have 2gb ram ?

:confused:

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
It makes the user want to buy the next model up. It's all about the money.

I'd agree that it's unreasonable and annoying. But ya know, it works... I'm sure many get the next model up for exactly that reason

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
If you are a light user, just mail, safari and some word, you really don't need the 4gb. And don't forget that the SSD makes the Swap-file really fast.
With just mail and safari open, I end up with using 1.5Gb of memory. And the current safari is a huge memory hog.
But I have to say that I've opted for the ultimate version to make it as future proof as possible.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
It makes the user want to buy the next model up. It's all about the money.

I'd agree that it's unreasonable and annoying. But ya know, it works... I'm sure many get the next model up for exactly that reason

Im in that bracket !, although after doing some homework and thinking about my usage, even tho im a light user and do not hold huge amounts on my mba and the 64gb would have surficed, I went with the 128gb ssd to give mine breathing space, and for that possible change in future use.

----------

common business practice called "price leader"

ah , i see !

----------

If you are a light user, just mail, safari and some word, you really don't need the 4gb. And don't forget that the SSD makes the Swap-file really fast.
With just mail and safari open, I end up with using 1.5Gb of memory. And the current safari is a huge memory hog.
But I have to say that I've opted for the ultimate version to make it as future proof as possible.

Coming from a samsung n150 plus with 2gb ram I was becoming frustrated with the restricted speed !

It came out of the box with 1gb ram which I upgraded to 2gb ram. Imagine the speed with 1gb of ram !!!

This is why the actual ram gb was one of the deciding factors in my choice.

Noob question..............
How do you check what amount of ram your using while on the mba ?

gerabbi

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
Im in that bracket !, although after doing some homework and thinking about my usage, even tho im a light user and do not hold huge amounts on my mba and the 64gb would have surficed, I went with the 128gb ssd to give mine breathing space, and for that possible change in future use.

----------

ah , i see !

----------

Coming from a samsung n150 plus with 2gb ram I was becoming frustrated with the restricted speed !

It came out of the box with 1gb ram which I upgraded to 2gb ram. Imagine the speed with 1gb of ram !!!

This is why the actual ram gb was one of the deciding factors in my choice.

Noob question..............
How do you check what amount of ram your using while on the mba ?

Try Activity Monitor. Located in your utilities folder.

MarkNY

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, I knew I wanted 4GB of ram, but didn't think I wanted to pay the extra for the 128 GB SSD, so I bought the BTO model. I was wishing I had just paid the money for the bigger SSD until I just found the details out about iTunes Match streaming. 64 GB will be fine now (until some more trips when my iPhoto library starts getting too big, but it'll be time to trade-in by then or iPhoto will be in the cloud, too).

2GB does seem like a joke.

komoornik

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
And paying 100$ for 4GB of RAM seems like a joke too!

It makes the 100$ SSD upgrade looks cheap.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Amazing as it may seem. There are those who don't come to forums like this and obsess over machines like they are robots themselves.

Grandma comes to mind :)

vader_slri

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
Canada
And paying 100$ for 4GB of RAM seems like a joke too!

It makes the 100$ SSD upgrade looks cheap.

Well, it's actually more like paying $100 for 2GB of RAM (to add to the 2GB base). At least with the SSD upgrade, you're paying $100 for an additional 64GB of space which is somewhat reasonable. I agree, RAM upgrade price is a joke!

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
As a few other posters have mentioned, it's all about marketing. Some people don't care about specs or performance or "future proof" when they are making an initial purchase. They just want to know how much it's going to cost them today.

Case in point, my father-in-law bought a Dell desktop a few years ago. Came with 1GB of RAM and Windows Vista, which doesn't run comfortably with anything less than 2GB. And forget loading up other programs. But it was cheap and that was all that mattered. After about a month, he complained that it was getting slow and blamed everyone else for putting crap on the computer (just user files, mind you).

At least the 2GB in the Air is enough to run the system and a few other programs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.