Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Okay, so I have a 2010 MBP; and have had the following issue with both an Upgrade from SL to Lion, and a fresh install...

If I boot into Lion, and connect to a Windows SMB share, its' fine. It is slower than death connecting, but it does connect. So I do that, do my work, etc close the laptop, go home, come in the next day and fire up my MBP, and go to the network drive and I get the spinning BB of death. Whether I try to open it, or eject it, and try to reconnect; same thing. BB spins forever, and I end up having to reboot.

I did this with NO issues on SL. I could connect to an SMB drive in seconds Put the MBP to sleep, whatever. Come back, plug in, and everything was there.

I installed the 10.7.1 release, in hopes of a fix, but nothing. WTH? Is anyone else having this issue? Totally disappointed with Lion so far, in terms of stability. VERY!

Etzeitet

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Hello nefan,

No solution I am afraid, just posting a "me too!" in the hopes someone who does have a clue notices.

Why on earth Apple cannot implement a stable file browser is beyond me. Finder was flakey as hell in Snow Leopard at times, especially the dreaded -10806 error when relaunching. At least in Lion you save the time it takes to click OK on an error dialog before Finder spectacularly crashes then having to reboot OS X!

So, what the hell, Apple? First you make connecting to Windows shares take a fortnight, and you punish us if we dare let our MBPs go to sleep while still connected.

Believe it or not, networking has been around for 50 years. Windows and Linux are quite capable of connecting to shares and their file browsers have a conspicuous feature of NOT crashing if the computer goes to sleep while connected.

/rant

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.