Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treestar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
I have an issue with Spotlight when using Safari 5.1 in full screen mode, Lion version 10.7.1. I access Spotlight via Command+Space to launch programs and search dictionary words but when I use the keyboard shortcut in full screen mode, there is a short lag before my typing is picked up in the search field.

I am quick and usually do Command+Space followed by my search terms and hit return all at once in about 1-2 seconds. If I am searching a term like "epicurean", after Spotlight drops down from being hidden it only registers something like "icurean". It's terrible to launch applications this way. "text"+Return would launch TextEdit but "xt"+Return launches nothing.

I stopped using full screen apps because it disrupted my efficiency, but I love the new full screen mode and I'd really like it to work for me. Are there any tweaks to make the Spotlight drop down animation faster or immediate? Is there any way to remedy my problem other than taking a breath before I enter my search terms? Has anyone else encountered this annoying lag?

art reset

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
Have you attempted using spotlight in fullscreen mode with a USB keyboard? I tend to find spotlight responds a little bit faster when I'm using an external keyboard, but I'm not sure if its possible for you to use one. Just a thought. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.