Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010

att_logo.jpg
Bloomberg reports that the U.S. government filed a complaint today seeking a court order to block AT&T's acquisition of T-Mobile. Antitrust concerns are at the heart of the complaint:
AT&T's elimination of T-Mobile as an independent, low- priced rival would remove a significant competitive force from the market.
AT&T first announced its intent to acquire T-Mobile in March, stating that the merger would increase the company's network quality and expand the reach of its LTE capabilities.

AT&T was the only carrier offering the iPhone in the U.S. from its release in 2007 until its exclusive agreement ended earlier this year when Verizon began offering the iPhone 4 in February.

Although T-Mobile has never been an official iPhone carrier in the U.S., the company claimed that over one million iPhones were running on its network earlier this summer. Just last week there were reports that T-Mobile USA would begin offering the iPhone 5 at its release, which is widely expected in October.

Article Link: U.S. Government Moving to Block AT&T's Acquisition of T-Mobile

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Thank god, AT&T is bigger today than it was when it had to be split up all those years ago. The only reason cell companies have been allowed to get this big is because their lobbyists managed to convince congress that wireless connectivity shouldn't be subject to the same regulations that physical landline services are.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
This is GREAT news!

I was truly afraid the DOJ wouldn't have the balls to step in, so I'm absolutely, and pleasantly surprised.

GET 'EM BOYS!

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Anybody else wonder if this topic may have been on the table when Steve Jobs was meeting with Obama a few months back?
I mean the T-Mobile iPhone was a pretty ballsy move given the circumstances.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
U.S. Government Moving to Block AT&T's Acquisition of T-Mobile

Bloomberg reports that the U.S. government filed a complaint today seeking a court order to block AT&T's acquisition of T-Mobile. Anti-trust concerns are at the heart of the complaint:

AT&T's elimination of T-Mobile as an independent, low- priced rival would remove a significant competitive force from the market.
AT&T first announced its intent to acquire T-Mobile in March, stating that the merger would increase the company's network quality and expand the reach of its LTE capabilities.

AT&T was the only carrier offering the iPhone in the U.S. from its release in 2007 until its exclusive agreement ended earlier this year when Verizon began offering the iPhone 4 in February.

Although T-Mobile has never been an official iPhone carrier in the U.S., the company claimed that over one million iPhones were running on its network earlier this summer. Just last week there were reports that T-Mobile USA would begin offering the iPhone 5 at its release, which is widely expected in October.

Article Link: U.S. Government Moving to Block AT&T's Acquisition of T-Mobile

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I'm not sure having two major wireless carriers and two minor wireless carriers is all that great of an alternative either.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm guessing this is primarily a political move, as the timing seems unusual. I don't think that the courts will actually block the merger, though they may force AT&T to make additional concessions (e.g. give spectrum to Sprint or US Cellular, refrain from entering into exclusive phone deals for a period of time).

Note that the DOJ is under pressure because of the whole Fast and Furious debacle, and the President has also had a rough month politically and is starting up a re-election campaign. The deal has been on since March, so it seems odd that it would take so long to come up with an objection. I'm not arguing the merits, just pointing out what I think the motives are.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Edit: Also nvm lol

In any event, this (as I said in the first thread) is fantastic news. I'm enjoying watching AT&T stock drop and Spring shoot up. :)

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My GF has t-mobile but she hates the coverage area.

Too bad. I guess she's switching for iPhone.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
This absolutely blows. I'm all for competition, but I really think this merger made sense. Verizon and Sprint still provide a decent amount of competition in the US market, not to mention the other lesser known brands (Boost, etc).

macinnv

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
T-Mobile can't survive much longer without the iPhone. Assuming they won't be getting the iPhone in October, this just makes things worse. Now T-Mobile will be left in limbo and will probably be destroyed while the govt takes forever in this lawsuit.

drnen

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
holy crap seriously? Government has me so jaded and feeling hopeless i thought for sure this thing would go thru as planned. When att announced their new messaging plans (to make the decision 'easier' for consumers of course) i actually emailed the FCC. I'm actually.. happy.. about something our government is doing. This is a weird feeling.. i need to lay down.

ihav0frnds

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
it's not like tmo was providing much competition nowadays. they basically just break even each year.

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Apple Acquisition ??

Perhaps Apple should acquire T-Mobile now, expand to build their own cell network, and screw them all! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.