Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Anyone else going this year?

It'll be my first expo so I don't really know what to expect! Also demoing our game.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I'm contemplating going but after having gone to E3 and Gamescom so many times I feel it might be underwhelming. In fact I was at Gamescom just a few days ago and spent four whole days there playing games. My next goal is PAX in the US which I'm planning to go to next year and at some point the Tokyo Games show.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I'm contemplating going but after having gone to E3 and Gamescom so many times I feel it might be underwhelming. In fact I was at Gamescom just a few days ago and spent four whole days there playing games. My next goal is PAX in the US which I'm planning to go to next year and at some point the Tokyo Games show.

Sorry to say this, but, I hate you.

Not really, ofcourse! I would love to go to a games conference like that any one would be fine but I simply can't afford it. Since I am not a game developer I think my chances are slim. A few people from my work went to GDC in San Francisco this year, I have a hard enough time getting work to send me on simple courses for legit qualifications!

Alas I am lowly IT support for those fantabulous games makers! No conventions for me!

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Sorry to say this, but, I hate you.

Not really, ofcourse! I would love to go to a games conference like that any one would be fine but I simply can't afford it. Since I am not a game developer I think my chances are slim. A few people from my work went to GDC in San Francisco this year, I have a hard enough time getting work to send me on simple courses for legit qualifications!

Alas I am lowly IT support for those fantabulous games makers! No conventions for me!

I don't work in the games industry nor am I a journalist or work for a gaming web site. I've been to E3 every year from it's beginning in 1995 all the way up to 2006. This was through working in games retail and blagging my way through the registration. Unfortunately since then they have made it more exclusive and as I don't have connections in the industry havent been able to go. I am going to try to get in again sometime. I lived in San Francisco, CA from 1993 to 2002 so it didn't cost me much back then in terms of the flight and hotel.

I've been to Gamescom several times but it's easier to get it as they have one day for the press and four days for the public. You just have to buy a ticket to get in. Luckily I've been able to afford to go. It's a lot of fun although very tiring. I'm definitely going back to Gamescom next year and I'm planning on going to PAX East in Boston next year too. I will probably have to leave the Tokyo game show till the year after.

E3 is not quite as big as Gamescom but it's better as it's trade only so you don't get the masses of teenagers and kids in general. Also everything is in English. The problem with Gamescom is that everything is in German although most people there speak some level of English. You can't take part in any of the competitions or stage presentations.

I'm looking forward to checking out PAX and the Tokyo game show soon.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I don't work in the games industry nor am I a journalist or work for a gaming web site. I've been to E3 every year from it's beginning in 1995 all the way up to 2006. This was through working in games retail and blagging my way through the registration. Unfortunately since then they have made it more exclusive and as I don't have connections in the industry havent been able to go. I am going to try to get in again sometime. I lived in San Francisco, CA from 1993 to 2002 so it didn't cost me much back then in terms of the flight and hotel.

I've been to Gamescom several times but it's easier to get it as they have one day for the press and four days for the public. You just have to buy a ticket to get in. Luckily I've been able to afford to go. It's a lot of fun although very tiring. I'm definitely going back to Gamescom next year and I'm planning on going to PAX East in Boston next year too. I will probably have to leave the Tokyo game show till the year after.

E3 is not quite as big as Gamescom but it's better as it's trade only so you don't get the masses of teenagers and kids in general. Also everything is in English. The problem with Gamescom is that everything is in German although most people there speak some level of English. You can't take part in any of the competitions or stage presentations.

I'm looking forward to checking out PAX and the Tokyo game show soon.

It sounds pretty awesome, I must try and go to one at some point, I would like to go to E3 but i do realise it is near impossible to get into for people like me!

Gamescom could be a shout I have a friend that visits Germany every month so could talk him into being my translator! How much are tickets to these events?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
It sounds pretty awesome, I must try and go to one at some point, I would like to go to E3 but i do realise it is near impossible to get into for people like me!

Gamescom could be a shout I have a friend that visits Germany every month so could talk him into being my translator! How much are tickets to these events?

Getting into E3 is free as it's trade and press only. If you can get past the registration process and get a pass then you're in. Obviously the expensive part is the plane ticket and hotel. If you have connections or know people in the industry it might be possible for them to get you in.

Gamescom has various ticket options. There are daily and late on the day options. I always get what they call the season ticket which is good for all 4 days. That costs €29. Flights to Germany typically start around £166 return and hotels vary depending on location and luxury level.

At Gamescom because it's open to the public they take the ratings system and appropriateness of content very seriously. You have to take ID like a drivers licence or passport everyday and they issue you one of three coloured wrist bands depending on your age. 18 rated content for example can only accessed by those 18 and over. Most 18 and 15 rated content is shown in closed areas and you have to show your wristband to get in.

I haven't done a lot of research on PAX and the Tokyo games show so I'm not sure how much they cost. Most if not all of these shows have their own web sites where you can get more information including flight and hotel options. However I normally book my flight and hotel through one of the online travel sites.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Getting into E3 is free as it's trade and press only. If you can get past the registration process and get a pass then you're in. Obviously the expensive part is the plane ticket and hotel. If you have connections or know people in the industry it might be possible for them to get you in.

Gamescom has various ticket options. There are daily and late on the day options. I always get what they call the season ticket which is good for all 4 days. That costs €29. Flights to Germany typically start around £166 return and hotels vary depending on location and luxury level.

At Gamescom because it's open to the public they take the ratings system and appropriateness of content very seriously. You have to take ID like a drivers licence or passport everyday and they issue you one of three coloured wrist bands depending on your age. 18 rated content for example can only accessed by those 18 and over. Most 18 and 15 rated content is shown in closed areas and you have to show your wristband to get in.

I haven't done a lot of research on PAX and the Tokyo games show so I'm not sure how much they cost. Most if not all of these shows have their own web sites where you can get more information including flight and hotel options. However I normally book my flight and hotel through one of the online travel sites.

Great stuff thanks, I may look into going to gamescom since its so big and so close, flights to germany are pretty cheap from the UK. Its about the only one I think I could realistically go to.

I do IT support and server management for the games department of a University and the lecturers and researchers often get to go to these things but I doubt i could piggy back on that. I worked at Rockstar North for a while about 5 years ago but only a select few employees go to to most things and only about 4 of the entire office went to E3 that year since they didnt have a game to show at the time.

I quite fancy PAX but being in the US flights are going to hit £500 return no matter where I go so thats a massive expense straight away, maybe one to save up for in the future.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I live in Belgium but travel to the UK regularly (my wife's grandparents live in Enfield, just outside London). Unfortunately, next time will be in October so I won't be able to make it to the Eurogamer Expo.

I doubt there'll be anything Mac related, though...

I remember going to ECTS years back (I believe it must have been '97 or '98), some friends and I managed to get some press passes (legally, I assure you). Ah, those were the days...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.