Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ace.of.Trades

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Hi, all,

I conducted an interview and didn't have someone behind the camera. I set up the shot but didn't notice there was a plant right behind my interviewee's head. It looks embarrassingly comical in the footage.

It's just a few sprigs, but enough to make it extremely ugly. How do I make the plants the same color as the wall in the background, or how do I otherwise remove the plants from the shot?

Reshooting is pretty much out of the question.

Thanks!

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
A screenshot would help more in giving you advice.

Without seeing it though, I'd mask it out. Are you limited to FCP or do you have AE or Motion?

Ace.of.Trades

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks, guys. I'll check out that youtube vid.

I have AE and Motion.

Here's a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2011-08-31 at 12.41.50 PM.png

The leaves are really small but just noticeable. Also, the interviewee moves around a bit and exposes more and less of the leaves.

Ace.of.Trades

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Also, I've got a shot of the background only, at one point where the interviewee stood up and walked out of the shot. Is there a way to use that to make rotoscoping easier?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Also, I've got a shot of the background only, at one point where the interviewee stood up and walked out of the shot. Is there a way to use that to make rotoscoping easier?

Compare frame with and without person. Take out person to its own layer.

Add background with plant removed.

Ace.of.Trades

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks, Consultant, I know how to do that in Photoshop, but how in the world do I do that in FCP or AE or Motion?

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Thanks, Consultant, I know how to do that in Photoshop, but how in the world do I do that in FCP or AE or Motion?

Check for AE Roto Brush tutorials. It's actually pretty simple.

Can't help you any further there, as I never went beyond the trial period with AE.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
How would you do this in Motion? I have a wireless mic cable in shot...twice.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-09-01 at 10.20.51 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-09-01 at 10.20.51 AM.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 548

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
^+1!

That is stuff you really do not want to do in Motion. I mean it works, but it is a pain. Roto Brush in AE is perfect for a high contrast problem like yours. Shouldn't take longer than a few minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.