PDA

View Full Version : Installing leopard on unsupported mac w/o dvd player

frito1224
Sep 1, 2011, 12:00 AM
is there anyway to install leopard on a unsupported mac with a ext.hd

Jethryn Freyman
Sep 1, 2011, 03:35 AM
is there anyway to install leopard on a unsupported mac with a ext.hd
I've done this, I plugged a 466MHz G4 Power Mac into a supported eMac with a DVD drive with a Firewire cable, and installed it to the Power Mac's hard drive from the eMac.

frito1224
Sep 1, 2011, 04:06 PM
can this be done from a intel to a ppc

AdrianK
Sep 1, 2011, 04:45 PM

Yes. This method uses Target Disk Mode.

frito1224
Sep 1, 2011, 04:56 PM
Yes. This method uses Target Disk Mode.

i tried that it said i had to format in GUID partition and that said it was only for intel macs

MAC MAN JW
Sep 1, 2011, 09:16 PM
i tried that it said i had to format in GUID partition and that said it was only for intel macs

Are you useing a retail Leopard disc? :)

Hrududu
Sep 1, 2011, 09:56 PM
No it can't. Its going to write an Intel version of the OS because it thinks Leopard is being installed for the Intel system.

Jethryn Freyman
Sep 1, 2011, 11:37 PM
I've done this from a Macbook Pro to G4 iMac, can't remember exactly how, I think I installed it to the iMac from the MBP with Firewire target mode, used Disk Utility to make an image of the installation on the iMac, then erased it and formatted it as APM and restored the image to it.

frito1224
Sep 5, 2011, 09:27 PM
I've done this from a Macbook Pro to G4 iMac, can't remember exactly how, I think I installed it to the iMac from the MBP with Firewire target mode, used Disk Utility to make an image of the installation on the iMac, then erased it and formatted it as APM and restored the image to it.

Thank You,

that is good info i figured out how to do it and now have leopard on my g4 imac thanks again