PDA

View Full Version : Playing iPad through soundboard

jammingator
Sep 1, 2011, 06:04 AM
Good morning, I tried playing music through the analog soundboard at the church and found that while it played through -- the sound was not quite right.

The instrumental part of the song sounded pretty good but the vocals were very muted compared to the original mix.

I tried this before with a PC laptop and again with an iriver H140 and got similar and worse results on the same soundboard. Sound was very weak and sounded 'underwater'. No adjustments I found made any difference.

I connected from the headphone jack with an 1/8" line-in cable to an 1/4" adapter into the board.

The music format was an mp3 file.

Do I need an interface of some sort? Is there an app that will help?

Thanks for the help!

Hansr
Sep 1, 2011, 06:23 AM
Does it sound the same in headphones? Have you tried another set of cables? What bitrate is the mp3 and how was it produced compared to the "original mix"?

jammingator
Sep 1, 2011, 07:37 AM
Bit rate was 320 kbps and was simply a music file I downloaded from Noisetrade. My term "original mix" was a poor choice -- I meant as compared to how the track sounds coming though the other audio players including the ipad, car stereo, etc.

Did not listen through the headphones.

Did not try another cable as I use this cable for other applications and it seems fine.

Papanate
Sep 1, 2011, 10:00 AM
Good morning, I tried playing music
I connected from the headphone jack with an 1/8" line-in cable to an 1/4" adapter into the board.

The music format was an mp3 file.

Do I need an interface of some sort? Is there an app that will help?

I run my iPad through a Yamaha LS-9 using a DI interface and it works fine.

Sounds to me like you have an impedance mismatch.

What board are you using? Which input exactly?