Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojobebop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
i had been using nikon nx, picture project. photoshop cs2. purchased new iMac, base model. nothing works, not even my scanner. have searched for suitable replacement. cannot afford a new photoshop at the moment. downloaded free elements, awful. capture nx2 without photoshop is an incomplete processing tool. don't believe aperture will be adequate. tried downloading lightroom. won't open up. i suppose it's incompatible as well. are there any programs similar to picture project? when i try processing in capture nx2 it will only choose images from iPhoto, and the only ones that open are jpg, tiff, & nef cannot be selected. processed an image in capturenx2 in jpg and compared to my usual; nx, photoshop, in raw/tiff/jpg it was awful.

i'm having the other computer i had to use for a few years; windows, (1 gig ram) fixed and will probably have to use it. at least i can scan b&w negs, and process digital raw images. but the reason i purchased an iMac w/12 gig ram was to improve my workflow. i did now know about the xos lion.

thanks for any assistance.

feflower

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
I know this probably will not help your situation, but in the future it is advisable that you use something like Super Duper to make a bootable copy on an external drive of your finely tuned setup before you update to a new OS. I know of someone who has a bootable copy of every one of his setups back to Tiger--just in case.

I haven't updated to Lion yet because of incompatibility with older versions of Logic.

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
Hind-sight is 20/20.

You can check for application compatibility in Lion by going to http://www.roaringapps.com

Alos, you might consider a better thread title. Your current title doesn't say anything more than, "I'm a frustrated Lion user".

Best of luck in getting your system back in order.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I can't really help but I think I can clarify a bit. As I read the OP, he bought a new iMac with Lion pre installed and can't get any of his old software to load right on it.

So, was the previous machine an older Mac or the Windows box mentioned? The Nikon software mentioned should be free from Nikon. Look for a Lion update. Same for the scanner. I'm assuming you aren't trying to run Windows software on a Mac.

I had serious trouble with Lion on my 2008 MacBook Pro. It seems that the default install dosen't include Java. It needs to be checked in the Custom Install panel. I don't know how to check this on a pre installed machine.

Go to this link for info from Adobe regarding Lion comparability.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html

Here is a link I found on installing the Java Run time you need.
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/909/cpsid_90908.html

It recommends that you update to LR 2.7 after your install. Install, download update, then launch. I guess.

Dale

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.