Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
My school is in an computer dilemma. Next year, their room will become the new English Room, and there won't be space for the Computer Labs. My teacher wants to buy new computers, buy the school doesn't have the money for some. I noticed that they have about 3 or 4 Apple IIe's, and I thought that they could sell them. How much do you think an Apple IIe would be?

Thanks.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
To be honest, $0. Sorry to hear about the computers, especially when they are a neccessity.

jon

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
iJon said:
To be honest, $0. Sorry to hear about the computers, especially when they are a neccessity.

jon

I would think some sort of collector would like one. I guess his idea about selling them to students for $25 is a better idea. :(

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Those Apple II's are still in active use atm? Wowsers! :eek: Or do you mean they're in the closet of that computer lab?

We lightly used them until about two years ago, when suddenly everyone stopped paying attention to them.

Currently, we use Toshiba 2600 Laptops, I think. The school bought them in 1999 with Windows 98 for $60,000. Now, half of them don't work and all of them experience the blue screen of death at least daily. I calculated the price of 24 eMacs, and that turns out to be $14,997, and with software and extra AirPort cards, etc, it will probably be $20,000.

newton213

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2004
If the school itself were buying them, Apple would possibly give them a bit more of a break on the price. Make sure you're calculating the price based on the Apple Store for Education, and choosing the eMacs w/out CD drives. Maybe one w/Superdrive for the teacher, but the rest w/no drives. That cuts down on cost. And I'd say skip airport, since you can work up a whole wired network for much cheaper. Airport is great w/laptops or desktops that are in different rooms, but if you've got a whole room full, you don't need wireless. Factor in a few routers, plus cost of cables, and you'd be wired up.

Oh yeah, it's cool that those II's survived so long, but they wouldn't be worth a lot since they were a super common model, and there's so many floating around out there. Yeah, it'd be cool to have one, but don't expect to get more than $25 each, tops. Plus you gotta remember, it would cost more to ship the thing than it's worth, so that deters a lot of people from buying online.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
newton213 said:
If the school itself were buying them, Apple would possibly give them a bit more of a break on the price. Make sure you're calculating the price based on the Apple Store for Education, and choosing the eMacs w/out CD drives. Maybe one w/Superdrive for the teacher, but the rest w/no drives. That cuts down on cost. And I'd say skip airport, since you can work up a whole wired network for much cheaper. Airport is great w/laptops or desktops that are in different rooms, but if you've got a whole room full, you don't need wireless. Factor in a few routers, plus cost of cables, and you'd be wired up.

Oh yeah, it's cool that those II's survived so long, but they wouldn't be worth a lot since they were a super common model, and there's so many floating around out there. Yeah, it'd be cool to have one, but don't expect to get more than $25 each, tops. Plus you gotta remember, it would cost more to ship the thing than it's worth, so that deters a lot of people from buying online.

Yes, the $14,997 price is three eMac 8-packs which sell for $4999 a pack. I think those are no optical drives. However, how do you get your software on a computer with no optical drive?

Anyways, I have an idea on how to get new computers for my school. I will talk to my computer teacher tomorrow and see if we can organize a fundraiser for these.

EDIT: I just checked the education store, and my school can buy eMac 8-packs that are 1 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB, and a CD drive for $4998.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
To load software without a CD or DVD drive, you can use:

(1) A FireWire or USB external drive with your data, maybe even disc images.

(2) Apple Remote Desktop, which allows for remote installs.

(3) Network solutions other than Apple Remote Desktop (FTP, SMB, and whatnot)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.