PDA

View Full Version : Always Get the Best Seat on the Plane with Jets

MacRumors
Sep 1, 2011, 04:09 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/01/always-get-the-best-seat-on-the-plane-with-jets/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/Jets_Icon@2x.png

For frequent flyers, getting just the right seat on a plane is essential. Whether it's aisle or window, exit row, or just making sure you have as much legroom as possible, knowledge is power. SeatGuru.com (http://www.seatguru.com/) has been a great resource for many years but doesn't have a dedicated app. Instead its seat maps are tucked away inside the $4.99 FlightTrack (http://appshopper.com/travel/flighttrack) app.

Jets - Flight & Seat Advisor (http://jets-app.com/) is a new app to find the best seat and get up-to-date flight status information. The app has seat information for more than 100,000 flights, covering more than 80 carriers and 400 different aircraft. The seat maps show positive (extra legroom) and negative (near bathroom) traits for each seat on the plane.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/jetsscreenshot.jpg

Jets - Flight & Seat Advisor is available for $2.99 (http://appshopper.com/travel/jets-flight-seat-advisor) on the App Store. [iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jets-flight-seat-advisor/id452710770?mt=8)]

Article Link: Always Get the Best Seat on the Plane with Jets (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/01/always-get-the-best-seat-on-the-plane-with-jets/)

BillyBobBongo
Sep 1, 2011, 04:10 PM
MacAds.com?

There's nothing revolutionary in this App to warrant its mention, this is pure advertising.

JonD
Sep 1, 2011, 04:16 PM
MacAds.com?

There's nothing revolutionary in this App to warrant its mention, this is pure advertising.

Seriously. What is this post?

ihav0frnds
Sep 1, 2011, 04:19 PM
you guys are commenting on the actions of a BOT

baryon
Sep 1, 2011, 04:21 PM
Most airlines don't assign you a seat, you get to choose on the plane!

JonKean
Sep 1, 2011, 04:23 PM
Reminds me of when Twitter accounts are hacked, and shows up as spam post for work at home and penis enlargement products.

Only this is intentionally posted by the authors of MacRumours

rdowns
Sep 1, 2011, 04:28 PM
you guys are commenting on the actions of a BOT

I've heard many criticisms of the writer but I've never heard him called a BOT.

c:v
Sep 1, 2011, 04:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have to say that this one by Jordan is especially bad and definitely seems like the app developers paid for the space on macrumors.

What's happening with this site? And why no Front page news of the lost iPhone 5 that the apple employee has lost in a Mexican bar today?!

arn
Sep 1, 2011, 04:32 PM
What's happening with this site? And why no Front page news of the lost iPhone 5 that the apple employee has lost in a Mexican bar today?!

because it happened yesterday?

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/31/apple-loses-another-iphone-prototype-at-a-bar/

For the people who don't like the blog content, please subscribe to the front page only feeds:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/12/macrumors-2011-redesign/

arn

*LTD*
Sep 1, 2011, 04:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have to say that this one by Jordan is especially bad and definitely seems like the app developers paid for the space on macrumors.

So?

MacRumors doesn't run on FREE.

arn
Sep 1, 2011, 04:35 PM
So?

MacRumors doesn't run on FREE.

sigh, these aren't paid spots. we have no undisclosed paid stories.

if you can think of an app that's more worthy of attention, send it in. If you don't like product highlight posts, don't subscribe to the blog content.

arn

Carlanga
Sep 1, 2011, 04:35 PM
Stops calling ads stories, even if they are on the 'More stories' side. All it gets is bad publicity for the app and pissed readers for the site. Create a 'recommended' apps tab or something and don't blatantly put this as a story. Too many similar 'stories' lately...

Amadeo
Sep 1, 2011, 04:39 PM
sigh, these aren't paid spots. we have no undisclosed paid stories.

if you can think of an app that's more worthy of attention, send it in. If you don't like product highlight posts, don't subscribe to the blog content.

arn
Arn, I'm not mad at you. You're posting it for interests' sake. For instance, I didn't know about the parking app you posted and the one I have sucks ass. So, I went ahead and added that app to my wish list to follow up on later.

Com'on people. Sometimes it's nice to have someone else say "Hey, this is kind of a cool app. You should check it out". Oprah's been doing that **** for years. lol.

Aboo
Sep 1, 2011, 04:53 PM

Free seating (which is what you are saying) is only true on LCCs like Southwest, Ryan Air, Easy Jet, etc. Legacy carriers still let you choose either at the time of booking or at least at check-in.

Kissaragi
Sep 1, 2011, 05:01 PM
Whats wrong with highlighting an app they think is cool? I think it sounds like a useful app and I hadn't heard of it before.

gglockner
Sep 1, 2011, 05:01 PM
What's more annoying is that you can get info from Seatguru.com. I wouldn't be surprised if they lifted the data from SeatGuru, and now they're trying to profit from it. Shame!

ekdor
Sep 1, 2011, 05:46 PM
-

shuckit
Sep 1, 2011, 08:46 PM
As a frequent user of seat guru, I found this writeup useful. It looks like a cool new app.

nagromme
Sep 1, 2011, 08:56 PM
I assumed these were ads too; good to know they arenít! Maybe these product spotlight stories could use a footnote reassuring people that these arenít paid for.

Tiggs
Sep 1, 2011, 10:29 PM
Interesting app but overpriced for what limited features it has.

Simgar988
Sep 1, 2011, 10:54 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Arn,

I only agree to these articles if they are "amazing" apps. Even if they aren't something I'll use, like the parking or seating apps, if I can appreciate them it's ok.

As with all quality macrumors articles, I will expect the same level of excellence with these recommendations. Don't let me down.

moargolems
Sep 1, 2011, 11:06 PM
You got let down, because you didn't get another iPhone 5 rumor about bigger screens.

c:v
Sep 2, 2011, 02:02 AM

Well I don't subscribe to this site. I simply have the main page open where I consider to be on the front page. It's a bit like having ads on the front page of a mag or newspaper. That would be equally annoying and unprofessional.

Btw, different timezones around the world. So some news reaches us sooner, some later. Amazing isn't it?

cwedl
Sep 2, 2011, 04:25 AM
Just go here:

http://www.seatguru.com/

It's better and it's free

hallaisen
Sep 2, 2011, 11:56 AM
So if I already have Flighttrack there is no point in getting this? They both use seat guru.com ?

Pomares
Sep 2, 2011, 12:59 PM
This was written like an ad, not like a personal excited recommendation. Why the sneaky approach? What's wrong with using the dedicated ad space?

nylonsteel
Sep 2, 2011, 05:21 PM
appears to be a nice app - wish i had this when i traveled alot

macDelirium
Sep 2, 2011, 07:53 PM
This app is utter turd, I am very angry about buying this app.

Later this year I'm flying Swiss and Cathay, none of the flights had data in this app. Pretty, but overall totally useless to me. Rubbish. :mad:

path2k7
Sep 3, 2011, 12:30 AM
[/COLOR]sigh, these aren't paid spots. we have no undisclosed paid stories.

arn

This was a really poorly thought out post on MacRumors' part, this app had *0* reviews on the app store at the time this post was written, and it's clear the writer never actually used it to look up any real information on anything before posting. After a day it has 11 reviews, mostly 2 star rated. Go look for yourself.. the only high ratings (one 5*) are total astroturf from the dev.

It's not a review, it doesn't say anything about the app you can't get from a PR post, and this thing clearly wasn't ready for prime time, I wasted $3 on this thanks to MacRumors.. hope you're proud of the post guys.

Alex Strelets
Sep 3, 2011, 02:25 PM
Hi guys,
I'm the developer of this app. Registered specifically to clarify some things.

First of all, we didnt pay anything to macrumors and never asked them about promotion. I was really wondered when received mail from Jordan Golson with redeem code request. I was busy, it took 20min to answer, and when I sent mail - he quickly replied saying "review" is already published on the first page. I'm absolutely convinced that he had not seen the application ever before.

Next thing:
We got some bad reviews for 1.0.0 version about serious stability issues and bugs with not-loading maps. We quickly submitted 1.0.1 update which was released yesterday. App runs perfect now.

Second part of upset users complains to lack of specific jets.
SeatGuru stays on a market for 10+ years and report 700+ seat schemes in their DB. We have our own sources and released 1.0.0 ver with 402 seat maps from the begining. Just think about it, dudes. I can say with absolute certainty, 90% users DO NOT READ the description, even with a $3 price. They see the screens, get the idea and start imaging some "unbelievable and amazing" features they get when buy the app. There is ONLY 737,747,757,767,777 Boeings and A318-321,A330,A340 Airbuses for now. Even not all of them, but we tried to include the most used ones in the first ver. We are working extremelly hard to increase the amount of aircraft in our DB asap. And I hope we will reach 1000 maps by the end of this year.

Don't get me wrong. I APOLOGIZE to all users who purchased the application by mistake. I am very grateful to those who gave us the trust buying it now. Watch for an updates. We are open for your suggestions to increase functionality and I want to create a truly useful application.

Thanks

rdowns
Sep 4, 2011, 07:30 AM
Hi guys,
I'm the developer of this app. Registered specifically to clarify some things.

First of all, we didnt pay anything to macrumors and never asked them about promotion. I was really wondered when received mail from Jordan Golson with redeem code request. I was busy, it took 20min to answer, and when I sent mail - he quickly replied saying "review" is already published on the first page. I'm absolutely convinced that he had not seen the application ever before.

So we write reviews for an app we haven't even tried? :rolleyes:

entatlrg
Sep 4, 2011, 07:50 AM
Whats wrong with highlighting an app they think is cool? I think it sounds like a useful app and I hadn't heard of it before.

Yes, I thought it was an interesting read too. Jogged my memory to look for app like this.

Why people take time to bitch and whine about this is ignorant.

Are you paying for this perfect advice and editorial content you're whining about? No. So really if you've got nothing decent to say shut up.

foidulus
Sep 4, 2011, 07:08 PM
Just to keep things on topic...

anyway as a frequent traveler a bit of advice about picking seats, if you even want a shot at getting a free upgrade do NOT reserve your seat, the only people they give free upgrades to(outside of voluntary bumps) are people who do not have seat reservations....

that being said, not reserving a seat is a bit of a gamble too as you often wind up with the worst seat on the plane(last time I flew from Chicago->Tokyo I got the middle seat in the back row, such is life)

Anyway, at least for US airlines, this app is kind of pointless anyway as the US carriers are basically now charging extra for the really good seats, so if you want the cheapest ticket possible you are going to get stuck.

yjchua95
Sep 5, 2011, 06:47 AM
What about business class and first class ones? I've never taken an economy class before, so is there info up to date for these two classes?
Edit: in terms of seating position and arrangements.

s1m
Sep 5, 2011, 10:10 PM

anyway as a frequent traveler a bit of advice about picking seats, if you even want a shot at getting a free upgrade do NOT reserve your seat, the only people they give free upgrades to(outside of voluntary bumps) are people who do not have seat reservations....

Not correct - in fact if there could be degrees of incorrect this would be woefully incorrect.

Question for the dev if they are still around - does the database sit on the device rather than querying the DB online every time?

darkpaw
Sep 6, 2011, 03:22 AM
does the database sit on the device rather than querying the DB online every time?

From the app details on the iTunes Store:
Flight search requires an internet connection. All set maps are offline in the catalogue.

zorinlynx
Sep 7, 2011, 09:01 AM

I've been flying for *years* now, many many dozens of flights, and I've NEVER been on a flight where I could choose my seat on the plane. You choose your seat during the booking process; at best you can move to another empty seat when the aircraft door is closed but seats are still assigned.

I'm not sure what airlines let you just choose your own seat; I'm sure it results in all sorts of chaos as travelers vie for the best seats, making it take forever and a half to board.

s1m
Sep 11, 2011, 11:19 PM

Only Low Cost Carriers do this and many of those are changing that as well.

I have been able to preallocate my seat on everyone of my last 200 flights.

Aboo
Sep 24, 2011, 02:13 PM

that being said, not reserving a seat is a bit of a gamble too as you often wind up with the worst seat on the plane(last time I flew from Chicago->Tokyo I got the middle seat in the back row, such is life)

Anyway, at least for US airlines, this app is kind of pointless anyway as the US carriers are basically now charging extra for the really good seats, so if you want the cheapest ticket possible you are going to get stuck.

Not to veer off topic, but this almost entirely untrue; whether you have a seat reservation or not has little to no impact on whether you will get an operational upgrade (i.e. free) to J or F. Operational upgrades, nowadays, almost only occur when Y is oversold, in which case they will upgrade elite frequent fliers (the plats, golds, silvers, etc.) and then move on to the Y or B (full-fare economy passengers). If they have exhausted both of these pools for upgrades, then they will go down the list based on fare basis bucket, with those who paid the higher fare getting the higher chance of getting upgraded. Of course there are several confounders in this paradigm; generally speaking people with pre-reserved meals (i.e. vegetarian, kosher, diabetic, etc.) meals generally have a lower chance of getting upgraded since Y meals are not allowed to be served in J or F. Also passengers traveling as a group or family will have a lower likelihood of getting upgraded (unless the entire family/group can be accommodated in the next class) because they normally do not split the group.

Anyways, to sum, if you are in economy and have the opportunity to select seats at the time of booking or at least before you get to the airport, do so, as you will have a much higher chance of securing an aisle or window seat. Never go to the airport expecting an operational upgrade as it will only leave you disappointed.

Alex Strelets
Oct 19, 2011, 01:31 PM
Hi guys,

We posted an 1.1 update yesterday, if anyone still cares ;)

There are 140 new seat maps, including the most requested United and British aircraft, and 11 new airlines, making the total as 540 and 91. Some bugfixes, along with interface improvements and built-in feedback forms. Plus, the first seat map for ANA's 787 Dreamliner which will take-off to the first commercial flight on 26 October.

Promo page: http://jets-app.com
AppStore link: http://bit.ly/JetsApp

PS: And sorry, I know, everybody write about missing A380. There were some technical difficulties with them, will be ready in a few weeks.