Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

doodlejump-150x150.jpg

Doodle Jump, one of the best selling games ever on the iPhone, is finally making the leap to the iPad. The Pusenjak brothers have sold more than 10 million copies of Doodle Jump for iPhone, and hope to sell just as many copies on the iPad. The iPad version will be slightly more expensive, as is typical for iPhone to iPad transitions, selling for $2.99.

All the graphics have been redone specifically for the iPad, but All Things Digital's Peter Kafka noted there weren't any big changes made to the game and he didn't notice any big differences between the iPhone and iPad versions. "Still plenty of fun, though."

doodlejumpipad.jpg

Doodle Jump for iPad costs $2.99 on the App Store [iTunes], and $0.99 for the iPhone [iTunes].

Article Link: Doodle Jump Makes the Leap to iPad

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Been playing it for years on my iPad. !! looks ok x2!

Corban987

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
Michigan
I hate having to pay for an app twice or three times.
Once for mac, once for ipad and once for phone. Apple needs to set some rules about this, if you pay the highest price app (mac store most likely) you should get the others free on the mobile devices or if you buy the ipad version at the high price it should have the iphone/ipod version built in. The iphone version should be the cheapest wi9th an upgrade to pay the difference to go to ipad.

This is a great app, but I will not pay for it on the iPad.

YeahBuddy

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
Boston, MA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Finally Apple can include this in their iPad ads! :D

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I never seem to have enough time to spend more than 30 minutes or so, with a game. So I really like Doodle Jump, and Angry Birds. They're perfect for short sessions.

ironsword

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
...Apple needs to set some rules about this, if you pay the highest price app (mac store most likely) you should get the others free on the mobile devices or if you buy the ipad version at the high price it should have the iphone/ipod version built in. The iphone version should be the cheapest with an upgrade to pay the difference to go to ipad...

I've always wanted Apple/Developers to do this. It was only yesterday that I was looking at Contre Jour on the app store. There's a HD version which also happens to be a universal app for $2.99 and an iphone version for $0.99. I don't have an iPad, so if I was going to buy it I'd buy the $0.99 version, but if later on I bought an iPad I would have to buy the $2.99 version rendering the $0.99 version useless. It'd be good if Apple/Developers were able to refund the cheaper version once the more expensive universal app is purchased. (or alternatively provide an upgrade option to a universal Ipad version as you suggested, which would be better as no refunds would need to be issued).

I can already envision the message that pops up when I attempt to purchase the iPad version of an app I've already purchased for the iPhone: "You've already purchased this app for the iPhone. Would you like to upgrade to the iPad version for $x.xx?" lol

allmanbrother

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
United States
I've been playing it 2X for quite some time. Now they want $2.99 for the same thing slightly bigger? The whole idea of these "HD" apps is a pretty low move from developers. As a web developer, I wouldn't charge more if a client wanted me to resize some elements on his page. Most of the time it's simply changing dimensions, worst case you may have to remake a graphic which takes all of ten minutes. I'd rather have satisfied, loyal clients than make a quick buck.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i thought i was over doodle jump, but i found myself getting addicted all over again this summer. happy to see an ipad version. :)

B J M

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Corban987 said:
I hate having to pay for an app twice or three times.
Once for mac, once for ipad and once for phone. Apple needs to set some rules about this, if you pay the highest price app (mac store most likely) you should get the others free on the mobile devices or if you buy the ipad version at the high price it should have the iphone/ipod version built in. The iphone version should be the cheapest wi9th an upgrade to pay the difference to go to ipad.

This is a great app, but I will not pay for it on the iPad.

This. Like blu ray DVD combo packs that include blu ray disc, DVD disk, and a avi file for the computer. If it's for one user then there should be one price unless there are differences, even minor, between the games, which their isn't.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

how do u play it with a "surfboard" in ur hands tho?

Fotek2001

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
London, England
Forget it. Not paying a second time.

So you can afford an iPad but not $2.99 for an iPad version of the game? :rolleyes:

----------

Agreed. Too many games make you pay twice if you don't want to play the iPhone version blown up to 2x. :mad:

Why does this make you mad? Why do you feel you should get the iPad version for free if you have the iPhone version?

I can't believe the number of people who moan about the pricing of apps that only cost a couple of dollars when they run on devices that cost literally hundreds of dollars. Get a sense of perspective and drop the misplaced sense of entitlement that app developers owe you some kind of free ride...

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Already paid for "Call Of Duty" on my Xbox. No way I will pay again for the PS3 version. Rip-Off!!!

asrai

macrumors member
May 11, 2005
Tried the demo. Never got the appeal, wasn't "insanely addict[ed]". Deleted.

I hear you -- quite the opposite actually and in all honesty found it 'insanely' boring. With all of the hype, I tried it for while thinking I must be missing the appeal. Nope, can't stand it...just not for me I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.