Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steini Freyr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Hi, This question might have been asked before,
but I am looking for some way to automatically organize my movies folder subdivided genre folders. Like if I have a folder named movies, and in that folder I would have several different folders named: Action, scifi, comedy, horror e.t.c.
I did come across some apps that did this but it was unclear if the effect was on the finder folders or only in the library within the application...

MUST BE AUTO GENRE FETCHING...

I'm trying to organize my movies folder on my W.D. media thingy :p

I already used filebot to rename my movies automatically with the correct name and year, but I need to organize them a little further, I am aware of the existence of XBMC and PLEX, use them both on my mac, but this is for viewing on my tv... Some day I swear I will give up on this and save for a mac mini with Plex installed!

Thanks!

rednoah

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
Better late than never, eh?

If you're still using FileBot then you could just use a format such as this to sort things into genre folders:
Code:
{home}/Movies/{genre}/{n} ({y})

audiofx

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
NYC
Hi, This question might have been asked before,
but I am looking for some way to automatically organize my movies folder subdivided genre folders. Like if I have a folder named movies, and in that folder I would have several different folders named: Action, scifi, comedy, horror e.t.c.
I did come across some apps that did this but it was unclear if the effect was on the finder folders or only in the library within the application...

MUST BE AUTO GENRE FETCHING...

I'm trying to organize my movies folder on my W.D. media thingy :p

I already used filebot to rename my movies automatically with the correct name and year, but I need to organize them a little further, I am aware of the existence of XBMC and PLEX, use them both on my mac, but this is for viewing on my tv... Some day I swear I will give up on this and save for a mac mini with Plex installed!

Thanks!

try and find a used mac mini :) I have a 2011 macmini as my plex server , still running strong today. Over time i did take it apart and toss in an SSD for the system drive and 8gb ram. Its main purpose its a plex server so it should serve me well for even longer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.