PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think Apple is going to go with a little "Shock and Awe" ?

JoJoCal19
Sep 2, 2011, 09:17 AM
I can't help but think with the length of time Apple is taking with the iPhone 5 that they are planning on releasing one heck of a phone. I think they see the popularity of the high powered Android devices being released and are ready to do battle. With the iPhone, 3G, and then 3GS Apple was already still so far ahead of Android devices at the time they were ok with staying the course and releasing incremental upgrades. With the rise of bigger and more powerful Android devices, Apple made much more drastic changes with the iPhone 4. In the 14+ months since the iPhone 4 was released, Android devices have become much much more powerful and feature packed. Now with HD screen devices becoming the norm, high power dual core (quad core early 2012), 1080p video recording, LTE, etc, I think Apple decided they could not release an incremental upgrade of the iPhone 4 to have out until the next refresh around Summer 2012.

I believe they made a decision early on that they would take their time with the iPhone 5, wait for high end parts availability, maybe even paying manufacturers to move up release dates (think LTE chips) and drop the proverbial bomb on Android. I honestly would not be surprised to see a 4.X", 1080p recording, LTE enabled, thinner, more powerful iPhone 5 shown. I know if we look at Apple's tendencies it would seem unlikely but the smartphone landscape has changed dramatically in the past year. I also would not be surprised to see a slew of awesome new features for iOS 5.

I know, I'm daydreaming, but it sure would be great to be surprised :cool:

soco
Sep 2, 2011, 09:20 AM
We're seeing the tail end of the "Wouldn't it be super cool if..." parade. They're releasing a marginal update. If you take the more solid rumors to heart, you'll see that there is little chance of a "Shock and Awe" product coming to us. That's not their style. They release maginal updates that excite us just enough to upgrade.

For the sake of humoring the idea, yes, it would be cool.

They do see the popularity of Android, but we all see how Apple is still sitting pretty on top of the hill they've conquered.

z3r0inc
Sep 2, 2011, 09:23 AM
im just frustrated that the annual music event still hasn't been officially announced yet...

my iphone3g is hanging in there by a thread...

aztooh
Sep 2, 2011, 09:26 AM
4.x" display, LTE, 1080P recording, thinner and more powerful isn't exactly shock and awe. Those things already exist in other handsets.

I definitely have a feeling it will be just some upgraded parts, largely the same design/screen size.

----------

im just frustrated that the annual music event still hasn't been officially announced yet...

my iphone3g is hanging in there by a thread...

In the same boat. Will most likely be upgrading to a SGS2 if the rumored release on the 18th is true. And if the next iPhone comes out within my 30 day window, I'll check it out. Losing faith at this point.

JoJoCal19
Sep 2, 2011, 09:43 AM
We're seeing the tail end of the "Wouldn't it be super cool if..." parade. They're releasing a marginal update. If you take the more solid rumors to heart, you'll see that there is little chance of a "Shock and Awe" product coming to us. That's not their style. They release maginal updates that excite us just enough to upgrade.

They do see the popularity of Android, but we all see how Apple is still sitting pretty on top of the hill they've conquered.

You crush my dreams :p

If it's just an upgraded proc and a small bump in RAM I'm going to cry. I guess I envision how amazing the iPhone could be but how far away it likely is that Apple would move to such specs. Unlike the crowd that buys the more powerful devices just because it's the most powerful thing out, I live in a deeply coated swath of LTE and I could definitely use the increased speeds. I also use my iPhone 4 for all of my web browsing when I'm not in my home office working (MacBook Pro stays in there) so I can appreciate the 4"+ screen (I tried a Thunderbolt before and the screen size was perfect). Also having a 11 month old, I am a HEAVY phone camera user for pics and videos so the 1080p recording and improved camera quality and pic size would be much appreciated. If Apple releases an incremental update then I would say we are another year away from those specs.

RotaryP7
Sep 2, 2011, 10:09 AM
There will be an iPhone released this year. Don't worry. But it won't be the 5 from what I'm hearing.

sulpfiction
Sep 2, 2011, 11:47 AM

There will be an iPhone released this year. Don't worry. But it won't be the 5 from what I'm hearing.

Don't worry my friend...There will DEFINITELY be a level of "shock & awe" with this next release. Just like you've stated in your original post, and like I've been saying all along, Apple cannot afford to blow this launch. And if for some reason they did, they would drop like a lead balloon in the smart phone world. Apple knows EXACTLY what they are up against and are a lot smarter then some of these posts would lead you to believe. To quote Bob Dylan.."The times they are a changin". This is not the same as it was back when apple did a refresh from 3G to 3GS. And while apple is still king, they know the crown is up for grabs now, more then ever before. And believe me, they LOVE being king. We will, WITHOUT DOUBT be getting a totally redesigned, beautiful iPhone 5 that will bring with it a bit of "shock and awe". Just how much remains to be seen. But i'd be willing to bet the house that it's gonna be more then less. Be totally excited. You're not going to be let down in the least. The ONLY thing that I am still a bit worried about is LTE..And maybe an LED notification light. But I won't be super let down if neither of them made the cut. BUT...maybe, just maybe apple has a few tricks up their sleeve.

Agent-P
Sep 2, 2011, 12:13 PM
At this point I just want something to be released. I'm not one of those people that currently has an iPhone 4 and the decision to upgrade will be made according to what the iPhone 5 brings. I'm still rocking my HD2 from 2009 (running Mango!), but it's starting to show it's age from all the use it's gotten (still the best phone I've ever owned). My contract ends this month, so I'll wait a couple of weeks for the iPhone 5 release so I can play with one in an Apple store before I decide what to upgrade to.

But for the sake of this thread, I agree that Apple NEEDS to do something big to compete with the constant slew of powerful devices being released by other manufacturers.

Bathplug
Sep 2, 2011, 12:19 PM
No it will be a crappy update to the iphone 4 and the iphone 6 will be the bad boy.

Sherifftruman
Sep 2, 2011, 12:43 PM
Who knows if the rumors of a dual device launch ('iPhone 4s' low cost device and iPhone 5 new design) are true, but if they were, I would be pretty cool for them to announce the new iPhone 4s and spend time talking about the procesor and features in the typical Apple way, not being too specific about hard specs, saying they thought the current display was more than adequate, yada, yada, yada, yet telling how great it is and then as "One more thing" introduce the real new iPhone 5.

Personally, I am most interested in if Sprint gets the iPhone as I might just pay whats left of my ETF from iPhone 4 launch just to get away from crappy ATT.

Reach9
Sep 2, 2011, 12:53 PM
I believe that this iPhone launch will be, and has to be major.

Why? Because the iPhone 4 has been plagued with negativity. Apple wants to get rid of the antennagate issues, proximity sensors issues, shattering glass issues, the fact that consumer report couldn't recommend it, etc. associated with the iPhone.

However, i'm very sure that the iPhone 5 will not be LTE capable. The LTE chips just drain battery, and i'm sure Apple is waiting for better next gen chips, so you can expect LTE being the killer feature for iPhone 6.

So what will the iPhone 5 have? Almost everything else. I believe Apple started working on the iPhone 5 even before the iPhone 4 was released, and after the negative reports, they drastically focused on the 5 since then.

It will be a shock to see a little upgrade after the longest time since a refresh.

kre62
Sep 2, 2011, 12:57 PM
I'll second the OPs original post. I think to say in the game, Apple better bring on the LTE, 4"+ screen, 8MP camera. Even then the phandroids will claim it isn't enough. But if Apple releases a 4S with only spec bumps....it's over as far as people considering the iPhone high end. It'll be a mid grade product. Then the end will follow shortly thereafter. I think it would be looked back on as one of the most obvious mistakes a company has ever made.

Apples pretty smart, thats why I think it'll be a blowout.

Stein357
Sep 2, 2011, 01:46 PM
After 14 months, the 5 had better be damn good.

sulpfiction
Sep 2, 2011, 02:35 PM
I'll second the OPs original post. I think to say in the game, Apple better bring on the LTE, 4'+ screen, 8MP camera.

Personally I wouldn't want to carry something that big around with me all day long. Although, it would be great for movies.

kre62
Sep 2, 2011, 03:44 PM
Personally I wouldn't want to carry something that big around with me all day long. Although, it would be great for movies.

Alright you got me, forgot to use the shift key. Fixed my post. You get todays award.

Surrylic
Sep 2, 2011, 04:01 PM
I feel like after the length of time it really should be something major. Not like "it's taken this long we deserve a big update!" but just because minor bumps in technology like people are talking about take like six months these days. Not 15. I'm hoping for an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 5. I know Apple is ahead of the crowd, but with 40 different Android phones out there I honestly feel like it's about time Apple starting releasing more than one phone per year. Not everyone wants exactly the same thing, or to spend the same amount of money.

What could be coolest about having a cheaper iPhone is the fact that it would allow the people who didn't have as much money to still purchase one... which could open the door for a more significant update for the more expensive iPhone if the profit margin for the cheaper phone is wider than what they have now.

rockyroad55
Sep 2, 2011, 04:10 PM
It will be a good upgrade, not a significant one most likely. Hey, I mean, they have to save stuff for the next upgrade right? Look how long they took with other features like copy/paste.

Savor
Sep 2, 2011, 04:20 PM
I would love to see Apple go for a shock and awe. But no matter what happens, people will still complain. You wait this long, unrealistic expectations starts to set in. No matter what Apple does, it will never be enough to some people. Pressure builds and builds to the point that you can't make everybody happy anymore. It seems like each year, people expect Apple to revolutionize the iPhone all over again. With iOS5, you are not going to see much change in the UI even if they are adding features that have appeared on other platforms for years. You go through these "phases" with each iPhone. You anticipate one like crazy. You go through your honeymoon period and flaunt how beautiful and sexy it is. You get bored with it. You sell it. You wait for the newer one. Repeat.

And if it is enough and they go for the WOW FACTOR, what will 2012 be then? Incremental upgrade season? You can't expect leaps and bounds progress every year. Tough to balance trying to make a huge forward while saving something else for next year and without alienating enough people of things they are used to. If you have a favorite band, sometimes they go to a completely new direction with their sound. Some of the diehard fans hate that specific album that went a different direction and some love it because they like the change. Big changes is a love and hate thing similar to people that feel about Apple. It is a tough balancing act to follow through.

Sedrick
Sep 2, 2011, 04:23 PM
Apple has spent this entire year crying like a little girl that all the other big bad phone makers are cheating and steeling Apple's designs. They damn well better 'shock and awe' after all the squealing they've been doing.

zipster
Sep 2, 2011, 04:26 PM
I agree.

Dmunjal
Sep 2, 2011, 04:54 PM
If Apple follows the same strategy that they have for laptops, you should expect to see the iPhone (and iPad) to be behind other competitors in terms of specs and features. They make it up, however, with excellent software and an integrated eco-system. Customers are willing to pay more for it and Apple makes more profit per device than their competitors.

This is their strategy and always has been. The goal is to make as much profit as possible, not to have the latest specs or the largest market share.

If specs and cost drive your requirements, then Android will be your choice. If you like elegant software and the ecosystem, than iOS makes more sense.

That being said, my guess is a 3.7" screen, 512MB RAM, dual-core A5, 21Mbps HSPA+ (maybe WiMAX for Sprint), 8MP camera, thinner and lighter design. LTE is not ready for handsets just yet.

Definitely not shock and awe.

aztooh
Sep 2, 2011, 05:18 PM
If Apple follows the same strategy that they have for laptops, you should expect to see the iPhone (and iPad) to be behind other competitors in terms of specs and features. They make it up, however, with excellent software and an integrated eco-system. Customers are willing to pay more for it and Apple makes more profit per device than their competitors.

This is their strategy and always has been. The goal is to make as much profit as possible, not to have the latest specs or the largest market share.

If specs and cost drive your requirements, then Android will be your choice. If you like elegant software and the ecosystem, than iOS makes more sense.

That being said, my guess is a 3.7" screen, 512MB RAM, dual-core A5, 21Mbps HSPA+ (maybe WiMAX for Sprint), 8MP camera, thinner and lighter design. LTE is not ready for handsets just yet.

Most everyone knows iOS devices don't need to get into a 'spec war', as the software and hardware are made for each other and run smoothly.

I think a new, more ergonomic design, increase in screen size/and decrease in bezel (top and bottom) and the extra zip of the A5 would be good. Well, would like to see the front camera get an upgrade...everything I've seen from the main shooter on the 4 there's no real need for an upgrade at this point. I'd also like to be able to arrange the icons how I feel appropriate and perhaps widgets on the homescreens, but I don't see either of those happening.

The first 3 things (design/size/cam bump) would be enough to keep me tied to Apples ecosystem I think.

JoJoCal19
Sep 2, 2011, 08:54 PM

Well said, but that's the problem in my eyes. Apple USED to be so far ahead softwarewise but I honestly don't think that's the case any more. Android OS used to be real buggy and unpolished but that's changed with the current release (Gingerbread) and the high quality OEM overlays (Sense 3.0, Touchwiz 4.0, New Moto App Interface) on the new devices. iOS is just now about to have features that other OS' have had for a long time and they've borrowed from other places. We are still looking at the same thing that we did back in 2007.

I don't think Apple can afford a meager incremental upgrade and rely on their software to sell devices. It's not going to work in todays smartphone climate.

vitzr
Sep 2, 2011, 09:07 PM

What are you hearing?

drober30
Sep 2, 2011, 10:25 PM
The delay was so the carriers could have LTE in place.

forza69
Sep 2, 2011, 10:34 PM
I don't care what it is, whether the iPhone 5 or an upgraded version of the iPhone 4. I just hope its released this month. My 3GS has seen better days.

jdlorinser
Sep 2, 2011, 10:39 PM
I believe that this iPhone launch will be, and has to be major.

Why? Because the iPhone 4 has been plagued with negativity. Apple wants to get rid of the antennagate issues, proximity sensors issues, shattering glass issues, the fact that consumer report couldn't recommend it, etc. associated with the iPhone.

However, i'm very sure that the iPhone 5 will not be LTE capable. The LTE chips just drain battery, and i'm sure Apple is waiting for better next gen chips, so you can expect LTE being the killer feature for iPhone 6.

So what will the iPhone 5 have? Almost everything else. I believe Apple started working on the iPhone 5 even before the iPhone 4 was released, and after the negative reports, they drastically focused on the 5 since then.

It will be a shock to see a little upgrade after the longest time since a refresh.

True indeed.

iamthedudeman
Sep 2, 2011, 11:39 PM

Put down the crack pipe. Isn' there all in one iMac the most powerful all in one on the market? Doesn't their MacBook line come with the top of the line i7 which is the most powerful laptop processor?

Isn't the iPad and iPhone when released and announced have the most power full hardware or close to the top. When the iPad two came out the A5 was the most powerful ever put in a tablet, even more powerful than the recent snapdragon at 1.2 ghz because of the A5's memory controller and the memory being on die. Not to mention the dual core GPU still tops on the market right now.

You still don't believe the MHz of a processor is the final say on how powerful it is do you.

When the iPhone 4 was released it's specs were on top of the food chain. Seriously what are you people smoking. When has apple done anything small when market share was on the line?

Make no mistake it will be shock and awe. the case designs have never been wrong, never. Since the original iPhones release. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Savor
Sep 2, 2011, 11:50 PM
For it to be a real revolutionary leap forward, we would have to see Apple innovate or reinvent something and have all its competitors try to copy it. It has to be a new trend. The two most revolutionary things Apple did to change the game was Apple giving us the GUI and App Store. Apple didn't invent the GUI or smartphone. iPhone was not the first to be an all-touchscreen device as that honor goes to the LG Prada. Its first year, iPhone wasn't even considered a real smartphone since you couldn't install apps onto it like others unless you jailbroke it.

But that GUI and its multi-touch gestures was amazing back in 2007. Steve Jobs perfectly crafted it his expertise with a GUI even in his days with NeXT. I say 70% of the competitors copied iOS in some way and this includes ones I find more intuitive now like webOS and QNX which copied the former. Then the App Store opened and the functions for iPhone became limitless. Without that GUI and App Store, we would still be stuck with smartphones with resistive screens, styluses, and would have to navigate through different sites to install apps. Yes, more of Windows Mobile. Apple already built that perfect ecosystem through iPod/iTunes success.

Hardware evolves every year. Time doesn't stand still for specs NOT to evolve. We are going to have higher resolution screens, LTE, and quad core CPU by next year anyway. In a way, Apple will always catch up to Android thanks to its OEM's. Want A5? It is already found in the iPad 2! That has a much roomier motherboard, so of course it will benefit with having the latest chipset and less worries about overheating. Like comparing desktop computers vs smartphones or home video game consoles vs gaming handhelds. The bigger machines tends to get the better specs first. iPhone may always be a step behind iPad when it comes to the latest chip. And as for beautiful design, I think that is subjective. After that honeymoon phase several months down the line, people will stop staring at its looks and start using it as a phone again. That novelty wears off the quickest until some people need to have it refilled again the following year.

For the next big gamechanger, it may not come from revamping the UI since that will get old after a few years again anyway or updating the hardware which runs like clockwork yearly. It would need to be something that becomes the latest trend and have others copy it again. Apple tried reviving video calling with Facetime, but that didn't really take the world by storm like it should since video calling has never been popular in other continents. Since 2007-2008, the rest that we have seen from Apple is just an evolutionary process.

Taluner
Sep 3, 2011, 12:08 AM
I've upgraded every year from the first gen iPhone on. A5 is guaranteed, higher res camera is guaranteed. All nice and dandy but there is only one thing that they need to do to have me instantly snag the iPhone 5 from my current iPhone 4... 64GB!!!! please god give me more space!

-Thank you

Russiaone
Sep 3, 2011, 12:39 AM
Just announce the thing, already. Tell me it'll be released in November and will cost $299, on contract. Tell me it's 3.7 inches and has a dual core A5. Fin.

Dmunjal
Sep 3, 2011, 02:31 AM
There are plenty of phones that have better specs than the ipad 2 and there will be phones that have better specs than the iPhone 5 at launch. Apple used to be the leader in specs but that's no longer the case.

(marc)
Sep 3, 2011, 02:35 AM
Just announce the thing, already. Tell me it'll be released in November and will cost $299, on contract. Tell me it's 3.7 inches and has a dual core A5. Fin.

Do you honestly believe this? :rolleyes:

cinek
Sep 3, 2011, 03:07 AM
it was delayed because their engineers couldn't keep the A5 chip cool enough in the phone...

it's been too long, apple will be playing catch up now, there isn't a phone out there that doesn't have the latest available kit. So what ever apple will do, they'll only catch up to the competition

iamthedudeman
Sep 3, 2011, 04:19 AM
There are plenty of phones that have better specs than the ipad 2 and there will be phones that have better specs than the iPhone 5 at launch. Apple used to be the leader in specs but that's no longer the case.

Really? what phone has a dual core GPU, one that was launched 8 mos ago. The A5 is as fast as the current 1.4 Ghz dual cores out now. Regardless of clock speed. Higher clock more heat less battery life. Apple instead added the memory on die for faster processing lower clock speed.

When the iPhone 4 was released its hardware was at the top or near it. When the iPad 2 was released it was the top and maybe still is.

When the the iPhone 5 is released it will near the top or near it.

gpat
Sep 3, 2011, 05:39 AM
It will be much harder for Apple to impress me, now that Samsung launched the Galaxy Note. Sure, it size may not be for everyone, but it can't be denied that it's an awesome device, and Samsung has done its share of innovation this time. I'm usually an Apple fan, but I admit that Samsung did the "shocking and awing" this time.

Now go ahead and downrank me because I'm not acting like a brainwashed zealot.

JulianL
Sep 3, 2011, 05:40 AM
Really? what phone has a dual core GPU, one that was launched 8 mos ago. The A5 is as fast as the current 1.4 Ghz dual cores out now. Regardless of clock speed. Higher clock more heat less battery life. Apple instead added the memory on die for faster processing lower clock speed.

When the iPhone 4 was released its hardware was at the top or near it. When the iPad 2 was released it was the top and maybe still is.

When the the iPhone 5 is released it will near the top or near it.
Doesn't this all depend on who is being shocked and awed? If Apple came out with a quad-core 22nm 1.5GHz CPU, similarly upgraded GPU and 4GB of memory then I suspect that most of us here and in the tech press would be very shocked and awed but we're not 90+% of the customer base. Most shoppers in retail stores would react with "what's a GPU?".

To shock and awe the vast majority of the target customer base needs innovation in more user-visible features and I'm beginning to run out of ideas as to where that could happen. Insanely svelte form factor and huge leaps in battery life might be two examples that might create a "wow" from non-technical users. If they could get some massive leap in sensor technology such that the iPhone became the only phone camera where one could do a 3x digital zoom at a concert or something and still have the zoomed image at the quality of most other phone's full sensor resolution then that might be another "wow" feature. It's looking very possible that there will be some sort of screen size increase but I'm not sure it will be (or should be) big enough to shock and awe the general public because if it gets too big then the thing becomes unpocketable. We seem to be down to improvements in tech specs that much of the general public won't really connect with.

I don't believe the above holds for the iPad by the way since people tend to use PC performance as more of a reference point for a tablet than they do for a phone so performance improvements with the iPad, if sufficiently agressive, could still shock and awe the general public. All just my opinion of course.

- Julian

wackymacky
Sep 3, 2011, 05:44 AM
It's dragging on like a blade now. We're now in September and no real world on even an event to anouce the thing. I'm getting a little board of waiting.

In has thought that we would have heard by now that there would be and event mid month anouning iOS5 release date at the end of the month with the iPhone 5 being released 2 weeks later.

Now I don't know if we will even see it by November.

vebs
Sep 3, 2011, 05:57 AM
A marginal update just won't cut it I'm afraid.

Muro
Sep 3, 2011, 06:05 AM
I can't help but think with the length of time Apple is taking with the iPhone 5 that they are planning on releasing one heck of a phone. I think they see the popularity of the high powered Android devices being released and are ready to do battle. With the iPhone, 3G, and then 3GS Apple was already still so far ahead of Android devices at the time they were ok with staying the course and releasing incremental upgrades. With the rise of bigger and more powerful Android devices, Apple made much more drastic changes with the iPhone 4. In the 14+ months since the iPhone 4 was released, Android devices have become much much more powerful and feature packed. Now with HD screen devices becoming the norm, high power dual core (quad core early 2012), 1080p video recording, LTE, etc, I think Apple decided they could not release an incremental upgrade of the iPhone 4 to have out until the next refresh around Summer 2012.

I believe they made a decision early on that they would take their time with the iPhone 5, wait for high end parts availability, maybe even paying manufacturers to move up release dates (think LTE chips) and drop the proverbial bomb on Android. I honestly would not be surprised to see a 4.X", 1080p recording, LTE enabled, thinner, more powerful iPhone 5 shown. I know if we look at Apple's tendencies it would seem unlikely but the smartphone landscape has changed dramatically in the past year. I also would not be surprised to see a slew of awesome new features for iOS 5.

I know, I'm daydreaming, but it sure would be great to be surprised :cool:

That's why I will not be surprised if they suddenly do come up with that Aatma iPhone 5 concept as the real deal. Slightly thicker then, maybe being to unrealistic but you never know. It fits the form of quite some rumours.

Jagardn
Sep 3, 2011, 07:52 AM
Apple cannot afford to blow this launch. And if for some reason they did, they would drop like a lead balloon in the smart phone world.

What percentage of iPhone users are following the rumor mill and really care about all the supposed features and designs that everyone is slinging around? I would say it is low single digits in percentage points. Apple could release a minimum update and most users would't really care. Would I like to see some new cool features/hardware, yes. Is it going to stop me from upgrading from my 3GS if it's not a Monster upgrade, nope.

Sedrick
Sep 3, 2011, 07:59 AM
I was 'shocked' that the iPhone 4 still had a 3.5" screen when everyone else went to 4". I was 'awed' that everyone bought an entirely glass encased mobile phone (and then preceded to cover it up with the horrid looking cases that exaggerated the brick design)

Shock and Awe this time would be (FINALLY) A 4" screen and rounded back. A rounded back because moving up to 4" and keeping the brick design will be terrible to hold. Can't really call that Shock and Awe though. It would just be common sense.

Risco
Sep 3, 2011, 09:52 AM
I was hoping that for IOS 5, and look what we got!

Reach9
Sep 3, 2011, 11:13 AM
I was 'shocked' that the iPhone 4 still had a 3.5" screen when everyone else went to 4". I was 'awed' that everyone bought an entirely glass encased mobile phone (and then preceded to cover it up with the horrid looking cases that exaggerated the brick design)

Shock and Awe this time would be (FINALLY) A 4" screen and rounded back. A rounded back because moving up to 4" and keeping the brick design will be terrible to hold. Can't really call that Shock and Awe though. It would just be common sense.

Very well said. And i completely agree.

I'm looking forward to the new Voice controls that we'll be getting with iOS 5.

skabadelic
Sep 3, 2011, 11:20 AM
It's strange how people feel that three months is an "Exceptional" delay. It confuses me immensely. Three months is, like, nothing.

"September instead of June? THEY BETTER AMAZE ME!!!! :mad:"

C'mon

Savor
Sep 3, 2011, 11:23 AM
Apple needs to come up with something that isn't just playing catch up Android when it comes to specs and features. And it shouldn't just play catch up to the jailbreak dev community. For it to be revolutionary, it needs to be able to change the game for years to come and when imitations starts to become a form of flattery. Similar to when its competitors did by taking cues from iPhone's GUI and app store. Prior to iPhone, nobody cared about an interface or apps on a phone as much as they do now. iPhone made you care about them. Apple didn't invent these ideas, but they helped popularize them and made them so much easier to use. I think the recent app trend is similar to how I used to collect DVD's. After getting all my favorite movies on that format, I stopped buying them and didn't re-buy them on Blu-ray.

I loved that concept of a projector that can show a keyboard that you can type on and do multi-touch. Now that I can see is gamechanging and where I know others will follow. I can see projectors inside phones will be more common within a few years and be that latest gimmick/trend once we all get our "fill" from app collecting.

gnomeisland
Sep 3, 2011, 11:30 AM

I, for one, hope there's a none 4" option. I like my phones pocketable.

xxplosive1984
Sep 3, 2011, 11:34 AM
4.x" display, LTE, 1080P recording, thinner and more powerful isn't exactly shock and awe. Those things already exist in other handsets.

But see, when Apple announces it, it's like no other phone before it ever had it.

mikelegacy
Sep 3, 2011, 11:39 AM
To be honest though, Apple gets it's due because it makes those things WORK. Obviously it hasn't yet, but the past makes that true.

Plus, the iPhone 4 is still the thinnest smartphone I beleive.

I'm also tired of people thinking that smartphone 1080P video recording is the same quality as something that would come out of an Panasonic HVX camera or something. You won't even notice the difference to be honest with you. [/rant]

shadrap
Sep 3, 2011, 12:00 PM
I think it is gonna be shock and awe. Does it have to be? No.

This is what I think will be the big features. I will give some reasons.

4 inch screen. Most evidence points to this and I believe it to be the perfect size.

8MP Camera this is a no brainer.

1080p Recording

A5 again a no brainer.

LTE: everyone says no way. This is the way. Apple built their own LTE chip. With a slightly larger 4 inch phone there is room for their new LTE chip. Why do I believe this? Motorola did it. The Droid Bionic has it's own LTE chip which has allowed the Bionic to be thinner with great battery life. 10 hours on LTE with heavy usage and 15 hours on LTE with moderate usage.

Proof: this is Macrumors I know you want it. A guy got lucky and received a Bionic early. He has been posting reviews on Android Central. So here ya go Droid Bionic (http://www.youtube.com/profile?nomobile=1&user=bworley65) during one of his reviews you will see Battery Usage. He has heavy usage on 4G with 5 hours use and more than 50% battery left.

If motorola can build their own LTE chip and have great battery life. Then why the heck wouldn't Apple? Are they not more innovative? Building their own chip, like motorola, would give more explanation for the delayed release.

If they bring all of these things to the table. There will be shock and awe!

mikelegacy
Sep 3, 2011, 12:12 PM
I think it is gonna be shock and awe. Does it have to be? No.

This is what I think will be the big features. I will give some reasons.

4 inch screen. Most evidence points to this and I believe it to be the perfect size.

8MP Camera this is a no brainer.

1080p Recording

A5 again a no brainer.

LTE: everyone says no way. This is the way. Apple built their own LTE chip. With a slightly larger 4 inch phone there is room for their new LTE chip. Why do I believe this? Motorola did it. The Droid Bionic has it's own LTE chip which has allowed the Bionic to be thinner with great battery life. 10 hours on LTE with heavy usage and 15 hours on LTE with moderate usage.

Proof: this is Macrumors I know you want it. A guy got lucky and received a Bionic early. He has been posting reviews on Android Central. So here ya go Droid Bionic (http://www.youtube.com/profile?nomobile=1&user=bworley65) during one of his reviews you will see Battery Usage. He has heavy usage on 4G with 5 hours use and more than 50% battery left.

If motorola can build their own LTE chip and have great battery life. Then why the heck wouldn't Apple? Are they not more innovative? Building their own chip, like motorola, would give more explanation for the delayed release.

I hope you're wrong about the 8MP camera. I hope to god.

RobbySkateboard
Sep 3, 2011, 12:21 PM
why would you not want an 8mp camera?

shadrap
Sep 3, 2011, 12:23 PM
I think he is worried about the lens vs sensor. More MP does not equal better pictures.

RobbySkateboard
Sep 3, 2011, 12:35 PM
but considering how much they mentioned that when they announced the iPhone 4 and knowing that it's apple, they'd do it right, they'd do 8 mp but also increase the other things to truly make it a good 8mp, not just a "look what I've got, it says 8mp"

Skika
Sep 3, 2011, 12:36 PM
I think he is worried about the lens vs sensor. More MP does not equal better pictures.

It also doesnt neceseraly mean worse pictures either.

Savor
Sep 3, 2011, 01:50 PM
People on MR do not make up a huge demographic. We are the folks who tend to camp out for launch day releases. We make up the "heatseekers" who want the latest and greatest but still a very small % among potential buyers. The majority of the countries outside North America and Europe are under a prepaid plan and it is why the majority of all cell phone users today are still on a dumb phone all over the world.

Reality is Apple can't make this into a "numbers game" when it comes to specs vs Android. They only have the opportunity to announce an iPhone ONCE per year. Android has the benefit of getting announced all the time and with different price points and form factors. Of course, this also helps Apple build up any anticipation to make us salivating for it. The only numbers Apple really cares about is the ones next to a $ and commas. A net profit is more important to them than volume. You can sell 100x for a glass of lemonade for 25 cents each. That is $25. The guy who sold 30 for a glass of lemonade for $1 still made more money than you. Apple knows how to succeed even with a small marketshare. Look at the Mac. iPhone 4 just got released in India THIS year and their population is in the billions. It is a 2010 phone which is still the best-selling phone of 2011 and among all smartphones in history. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Milk it while the coal is still hot.

If multiple iPhones gets released on all carriers, expect an onslaught in volume sales. I can see Apple take up the top four spots in sales with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5 if they all get released on the four major carriers in the U.S. That's why expect to see another record breaking season in 2012 and a year after that and a year after that. I can see iPhones peaking in sales from 2012-2014. After that, who knows? All good things come to an end and using the same formula eventually becomes redundant too. This year, I see Apple expanding more of their volume shares by making it more available to more demographics and carriers.

Check out sales of all iPods....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ipod_sales_per_quarter.svg

It went to 50M by 2007 when the iPod touch got introduced making it the 4th line of iPods next to the shuffle, nano, and classic. The iPod nano was on its 3rd gen and iPod classic already was on its 6th and final gen. It leveled off slightly last year since iPhone and iPad is eliminating the need for another device like the iPod touch that essentially does the same thing.

I can see iPhone mirroring its success even after six years after its release just like what the iPods did. From there, who knows? Like in fashion, not everything stays cool forever.

AIP5
Sep 3, 2011, 01:53 PM
The delay was so the carriers could have LTE in place.

You know, if you had said that in June or July, I wouldn't have agreed. But now, I think there's a pretty good possibility that what you say is true. An LTE global iPhone (that can work on CDMA and GSM anywhere around the world), would definitely leave me in shock and awe.

I realize that LTE has yet to be deployed everywhere, but there are certainly some indications that carriers are gearing up their LTE networks right now. AT&T finally got some LTE coverage in a few select cities. So I dunno... it could be that the delay was for LTE.

aztooh
Sep 3, 2011, 02:00 PM
You know, if you had said that in June or July, I wouldn't have agreed. But now, I think there's a pretty good possibility that what you say is true. An LTE global iPhone (that can work on CDMA and GSM anywhere around the world), would definitely leave me in shock and awe.

I realize that LTE has yet to be deployed everywhere, but there are certainly some indications that carriers are gearing up their LTE networks right now. AT&T finally got some LTE coverage in a few select cities. So I dunno... it could be that the delay was for LTE.

A feature that a majority of users can't use, and won't be able to for months on end, doesn't illicit shock and awe.

AIP5
Sep 3, 2011, 02:07 PM
A feature that a majority of users can't use, and won't be able to for months on end, doesn't illicit shock and awe.

Really now? If, for a moment, we assume that Apple did unveil an iPhone 5 with LTE, would you not be shocked? You might even be awed (but I suppose that depends on you). I would certainly be both shocked and awed if they went ahead with it.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, a "feature that a majority of users can't use, and won't be able to for months on end..." sounds a lot like Thunderbolt. Or FaceTime in its beginning stages. I'm sure quite a few people were shocked and awed by these new technologies, particularly the latter.

hayesk
Sep 3, 2011, 02:17 PM
It also doesnt neceseraly mean worse pictures either.

Well, all else being equal, it does. But I assume the sensor quality will improve. But if it's only "equal" then i'd rather have smaller file sizes.

Liverpool-FC
Sep 3, 2011, 04:10 PM
Hopefully the release is soon. My 3G definitely replaced, well overdue :)

aztooh
Sep 3, 2011, 07:06 PM
Really now? If, for a moment, we assume that Apple did unveil an iPhone 5 with LTE, would you not be shocked? You might even be awed (but I suppose that depends on you). I would certainly be both shocked and awed if they went ahead with it.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, a "feature that a majority of users can't use, and won't be able to for months on end..." sounds a lot like Thunderbolt. Or FaceTime in its beginning stages. I'm sure quite a few people were shocked and awed by these new technologies, particularly the latter.

Honestly, no. Either way really I guess I'd be indifferent. They wouldn't be the first to have it, and I don't live in an area that's gonna have LTE anytime soon...so no shock, no awe.

"FaceTime" was something that each user COULD use though. Even if not the FaceTime app, there were/are 3rd party apps that users could utilize cross platform. Not to mention, the front camera in itself was a nice addition.

Agent-P
Sep 3, 2011, 07:30 PM

If this becomes the case and the iPhone 5 is released with LTE and good battery life, then my decision for a carrier will become much simpler: Verizon. They currently have the most widespread LTE network of all the carriers. However, if the iPhone 5 doesn't have LTE support and only HSPA+ support (and it's released on all the carriers), then I'm going with T-Mobile fo the iPhone. But I really hope it has a battery efficient LTE chip.

dialed1
Sep 3, 2011, 07:33 PM
I think it will be awesome as ever

AIP5
Sep 3, 2011, 08:19 PM
Honestly, no. Either way really I guess I'd be indifferent. They wouldn't be the first to have it, and I don't live in an area that's gonna have LTE anytime soon...so no shock, no awe.

"FaceTime" was something that each user COULD use though. Even if not the FaceTime app, there were/are 3rd party apps that users could utilize cross platform. Not to mention, the front camera in itself was a nice addition.

FaceTime in its infancy only had as many users as the iPhone 4 user base. In other words, it was a feature that majority of the iPhone 4 users couldn't use for months after the iPhone 4 release because their friends and families didn't have an iPhone 4 yet and there were not other FaceTime devices.

Reach9
Sep 3, 2011, 08:36 PM
If you guys are hoping for LTE, then yes you'll be disappointed. I highly doubt the iPhone 5 will sport it. What features will it have though? Everything else.

I'm currently content with my 3G speeds, and i bet it'll be a hell of a lot better in a few years when everyone goes to LTE.

AIP5
Sep 3, 2011, 08:40 PM
If you guys are hoping for LTE, then yes you'll be disappointed. I highly doubt the iPhone 5 will sport it. What features will it have though? Everything else.

I'm currently content with my 3G speeds, and i bet it'll be a hell of a lot better in a few years when everyone goes to LTE.

Agree with you 100%. AT&T 3G in southern california is fairly fast enough for the Internet use I do. Being grandfathered in the unlimited plan, I'm not willing to switch to Verizon anytime soon...

Dmunjal
Sep 3, 2011, 09:52 PM
Yes, HSPA+ is a nice boost from basic 3G. I've seen speeds as high as 6-7Mbps here in the SF Bay Area.

I'd rather have that than a battery killing LTE chip.

Does Apple even have in-house LTE development capability?

I would be shocked and awed by LTE.

iamthedudeman
Sep 3, 2011, 10:31 PM
I don't think you get my point. FaceTime in its infancy only had as many users as the iPhone 4 user base. In other words, it was a feature that majority of the iPhone 4 users couldn't use for months after the iPhone 4 release because their friends and families didn't have an iPhone 4 yet and there were not other FaceTime devices. That way, FaceTime was quite limited in its infancy. I didn't even mention third party video chatting apps, so I'm not sure where you got that..

As for you not having any shock or awe for LTE included in iPhone 5, Congratulations! Should I get you a gift? Honestly.. I guess you are not part of the majority. If you won't be shocked or awed by it, I can bet my entire bank account that there will be a great many people who will be shocked to learn that Apple developed an in house LTE chip or something of the likes and will include it in iPhone 5. They will be shocked because a vast majority is NOT expecting LTE. But I suppose you are... so this doesn't really apply to you anyway.

Ah, FaceTime launched on all Macs and iPad 2's as well. It wasn't just a iPhone 4 feature. Literally millions of users had access to FaceTime at launch iPhone 4 or not.

----------

Agree with you 100%. AT&T 3G in southern california is fairly fast enough for the Internet use I do. Being grandfathered in the unlimited plan, I'm not willing to switch to Verizon anytime soon...

Att HSPA+ is just as fast as LTE currently. Ones a mature technology and at it's zenith and the other is not. I am averaging 7mps down and 1 mb up. That is much faster than Verizon's Rev A which is molasses in comparison. Which is what most of the nation is on as far as Verizon goes.

Dr Kevorkian94
Sep 3, 2011, 10:42 PM
I don't think a small spec bump will do it for everyone this time, but apple always finds a way to add a feature that everyone "needs". Hopefully this time around it won't be software oriented and if it is it's because of the hardware so some lame excuse of why they just couldn't include it in the software update for the iPhone 4 because they didn't like the preformance. That was a bit negative sounding:confused:. Um I seriously hope that there is more to the iPhone this time that the rumors being put out I don't want a small spec bump this time :(

Rodimus Prime
Sep 3, 2011, 10:52 PM
It's strange how people feel that three months is an "Exceptional" delay. It confuses me immensely. Three months is, like, nothing.

"September instead of June? THEY BETTER AMAZE ME!!!! :mad:"

C'mon

Problem is the iPhone4 is massively over priced right now for its spec and already very out dated. 3 months is a long time in the smart phone world. All the signs are pointing to the iPhone 5 being a minor update. My brother who loves his iPhone 3GS is majorly considering leaving the iPhone and going Android because it has more things he wants like a larger screen. Apps wise it will have everything he wants.

AIP5
Sep 3, 2011, 10:53 PM
Ah, FaceTime launched on all Macs and iPad 2's as well. It wasn't just a iPhone 4 feature. Literally millions of users had access to FaceTime at launch iPhone 4 or not.

Well, FaceTime was announced at the iPhone 4 WWDC event in June 2010. When it was announced, iPhone 4 was the only iOS device that had a front facing camera. Macs at the time didn't have FaceTime. iPod Touch with a front facing camera and FaceTime was announced Sept 2010. FaceTime for Mac OS X was put on the Mac app store in Feb 2011, and iPad 2 with FaceTime was announced in March 2011.

So from June to September, iPhone 4 was the only device that had FaceTime. I'd argue that not until Feb 2011, when FaceTime finally became available for Mac, did FaceTime finally reach a large enough user base as Apple originally intended.

What I was trying to say was that, FaceTime in its infancy (the period from June to September, or even longer), had a pretty small user base (only the people who had bought iPhone 4's in that period). But now, it has a huge user base comprised of iPad 2 owners, iPod touch owners, Mac OS X owners, etc.

aztooh
Sep 3, 2011, 10:54 PM
I don't think you get my point. FaceTime in its infancy only had as many users as the iPhone 4 user base. In other words, it was a feature that majority of the iPhone 4 users couldn't use for months after the iPhone 4 release because their friends and families didn't have an iPhone 4 yet and there were not other FaceTime devices. That way, FaceTime was quite limited in its infancy. I didn't even mention third party video chatting apps, so I'm not sure where you got that..

As for you not having any shock or awe for LTE included in iPhone 5, Congratulations! Should I get you a gift? Honestly.. I guess you are not part of the majority. If you won't be shocked or awed by it, I can bet my entire bank account that there will be a great many people who will be shocked to learn that Apple developed an in house LTE chip or something of the likes and will include it in iPhone 5. They will be shocked because a vast majority is NOT expecting LTE. But I suppose you are... so this doesn't really apply to you anyway.

Hey douchebag, you ASKED ME if I would be shocked if it included LTE and I answered you. I didn't offer that up unsolicited so save your sarcasm for someone else.

Man, you are dense. To use FaceTime, they needed another new feature, a ffc. Which EVERYONE could use. And you didn't mention 3rd party apps, I did. FaceTime is not unique. Having those other apps available made video chatting open to more people....therefore, the ability to video chat was as 'limited' as you are making it out to be. The FFC and software, FaceTime or 3rd party, was a huge addition to the phone. Just limiting it to only those who FaceTime-FaceTime chat is cherry picking.

AIP5
Sep 3, 2011, 11:21 PM
Hey azooth, and to anyone else:

I'm really sorry about that. I was having quite a bad day (and still am, sort of), and I sincerely apologize for venting it here. I'm not being facetious here or anything, so please do accept my apology. I definitely didn't mean to come off sounding like that. Sorry azooth, and sorry to anyone else who I might have offended. I'm gonna get off of Macrumors a bit now.

Sorry again guys.. :(

Shockwave78
Sep 4, 2011, 09:55 AM
Its starting to make sense that Apple will make the phone smaller and make the screen larger, it goes with everything they stand for by pushing the boundaries and such.

"we did the unthinkable, it is MAGICAL!! we made the actual phone size smaller yet increased the screen size"

Sadly I think it will be 4", if so i will probably be switching :( . I think 4.3 or a 4.5 would nice. The more i see these other phones out there the more i want one with a larger screen.

I will definitely be trying out the Bionic, Prime and Note once they are all released.

kdarling
Sep 4, 2011, 10:45 AM
... Apple knows how to succeed even with a small marketshare. Look at the Mac.

iPhone 4 just got released in India THIS year and their population is in the billions. It is a 2010 phone which is still the best-selling phone of 2011 and among all smartphones in history. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Milk it while the coal is still hot.

Countries like India are a prime example of why Apple needs a low priced model that can be sold anywhere.

A billion potential buyers are meaningless if they can't afford it and the data plan, or data isn't widely available.

It took almost a year just to sell 20,000 iPhones after it first arrived in India. Three years later, I'm not sure they've even broken six digits yet. The iPhone costs too much and Nokia/RIM have better mindshare and more availability.

Nevadadrifter
Sep 4, 2011, 02:46 PM
A few key points here that I think we should all keep in mind...

Yes, WE are the "geeks" who sit around speculating about what specs the new iPhone will have, but while we may be the most avid smartphone (be it iOS, Android, etc.) around, we are not the core demographic that Apple markets the iPhone to. That's part of what makes the iPhone so "magical". It appeals to such a broad audience. Who do you see walking around carrying iPhones these days? Spoiled pre-teen girls, 70 year old grandfathers, and everyone in between. The same could be said for Android devices, I suppose, but honestly, I don't think that any smartphone has obtained the level of cultural impact of the iOS devices.

If you leave "us" (the Macrumors, forum browsing, speculating, hardcore fans) out of the picture, you will come to realize that the general public, as a whole, is not very knowledgeable about the smartphone world. Technical specs, mean very little to most people, unless it's something that wireless providers have been pushing as the next "big thing", like LTE. Mr. Schmoe doesn't know how LTE works, he just knows that it's faster than that horrid old 3G technology, and therefore better than 3G, all because the commercials told him so. You say "But Joe, this shiny new Samsung Galaxy S2 is better than the iPhone is several very important areas", and start going all tech geek on him. When you're finished, Joe will ask "Yeah, but will it still do Facebook?" or "Yeah, but will I still be able to play Angry Birds?".

The majority of people purchasing smartphones want a phone that "just works", and this is the area where Apple has excelled above all others. Interface and ease of use. I can't seem to find the study, but I remember reading an article a while back that stated a surprisingly large (to me anyway) percentage of iPhones users had never upgraded their firmware since their phone was activated. This means they could care less about new features, new notifications, etc.

So what does all this have to do with "Shock and Awe"? The Macrumors crowd may care a great deal about knowing every detail about whatever new iPhone that will be released. Yes, most of us know that more megapixels doesn't mean a better camera, but to most consumers, more = better. Slap a new camera in there, perhaps a better camera in the front, and add a little more processing power, and iPhone 4 owners will still be lining up in front of the Apple stores a week ahead of time, paying outrageous early termination fees, just to have the newest iDevice. LTE or no LTE, Apple will sell millions of iPhone 5's, or 4Gs', or whatever they call it. Bigger screen or not, they will sell millions. Is it the most innovative approach? Certainly not, but it seems that Apple is willing to play their best long game. While everyone is rushing out the newest, greatest LTE devices on the market, Apple's researchers are sitting back making tiny little adjustments here and there, in pursuit of perfection. Could Apple have slapped an LTE chip in the new iPhone? Of course they could have, and who knows, there's an outside chance they may still do it. If they did, I would imagine that after a few hours playing with our awesome new smartphone, we would all take to the forums, bitching about how our battery life is terrible and asking Apple how dare they release a phone to the public when it obviously wasn't ready.

JoJoCal19
Sep 6, 2011, 09:22 AM
Nevadadrifter, I agree with you.

But I will say this, something that has been ignored by all of us, is that Apple had better shock and awe Wall St. If they come out with some lame incremental upgrade at a time when Android devices are coming out slicker than ever, you bet Wall St is not going to be as kind as the masses. I've already read several articles chiding Apple for their iOS 5 being only an incremental update and basically taking ideas from Android and other developers. If they do the same with the iPhone 5 you can bet they won't be pleased and Apple's shareholders will feel it.

BlindMellon
Sep 6, 2011, 10:14 AM

But I will say this, something that has been ignored by all of us, is that Apple had better shock and awe Wall St. If they come out with some lame incremental upgrade at a time when Android devices are coming out slicker than ever, you bet Wall St is not going to be as kind as the masses. I've already read several articles chiding Apple for their iOS 5 being only an incremental update and basically taking ideas from Android and other developers. If they do the same with the iPhone 4 you can bet they won't be pleased and Apple's shareholders will feel it.

100% agree. Let's hope that this 4-5 month delay is for a new design and not merely to wait for ios5 to finally go gold.

bushman4
Sep 7, 2011, 12:22 AM
This seems to be the year for Software as oppossed to Hardware refreshes. However I would still hope that Apple improves upon the IPHONE4.
Hopefully we're in for a big surprise that nobody anticipated..:)

Sedrick
Sep 7, 2011, 06:41 AM
Hopefully we're in for a big surprise that nobody anticipated..:)
Let's hope so. Tim Cook can either come in with a bang or a whimper. New design or last year's model.

maflynn
Sep 7, 2011, 06:46 AM
I'm a little late to this thread but to the OP's point. I don't think apple's MO is about Shock and Awe but continual incremental updates. To that point I don't think we'll see a huge update

auxsend
Sep 7, 2011, 07:02 AM
I think the issue here is that a release that manages to meet the ability of phones that are already in the market isn't so much shock and awe, it's more of a, "there, we're caught up for now."

Edit: Oh and if their best effort in a year and a half is a slightly bumped 4s? Watch the market share slip, slip away. I'm an Apple fan, I just don't always agree with how they do things.

Sedrick
Sep 7, 2011, 01:20 PM
Edit: Oh and if their best effort in a year and a half is a slightly bumped 4s? Watch the market share slip, slip away. I'm an Apple fan, I just don't always agree with how they do things.

The iPhone 5 will really tell us a lot about Apple, one way or the other.

natasha69
Sep 7, 2011, 01:28 PM

i disagree. i stick with my original prediction - this version has a light saber built in.

CWT1965
Sep 7, 2011, 01:31 PM
I think the only changes will be upgrades on what they already have, if it ain't broke don't fix it, the iPhone 4 is as close to perfection as you can get.

My predictions

64gb model
Increased processor and RAM
1080p video recording
8mp camera

the only shock and awe for me is that I firmly believe that Steve will be doing the keynote

Joybulb
Sep 7, 2011, 01:31 PM

So you're the all knowing one with the 100% accurate sources huh...my guess is you're reading the same rumors as the rest of us. That being the case, everything is pretty inconclusive and in my mind the rumors are slightly tilted on the side of a completely redesigned device. Again, that's just conjecture which is all anyone in these forums can offer.

JoJoCal19
Sep 7, 2011, 01:41 PM
I'm a little late to this thread but to the OP's point. I don't think apple's MO is about Shock and Awe but continual incremental updates. To that point I don't think we'll see a huge update

Yes I agree in the past that was true, but the landscape has changed and they really cannot afford to just increase the processor capability and bump the ram, lest they want their stock price to tumble. They've already caught a lot of flack (from outside of MacRumors) for Lion and iOS 5, and deservedly so. With their 1+ year refresh rate, and the fact that people are stuck in 2 year contracts, even if they came out with a 4" screen, 1080p recording and 8mpx cam, dual core proc, 1GB RAM, they would just now be BARELY meeting current specs, not to mention the movement is moving towards higher res and bigger screens, higher power dual core procs, and more that would overshadow it in the next couple of months.

The iPhone 5 will really tell us a lot about Apple, one way or the other.

Agree.

Sodner
Sep 7, 2011, 01:50 PM

But I will say this, something that has been ignored by all of us, is that Apple had better shock and awe Wall St. If they come out with some lame incremental upgrade at a time when Android devices are coming out slicker than ever, you bet Wall St is not going to be as kind as the masses. I've already read several articles chiding Apple for their iOS 5 being only an incremental update and basically taking ideas from Android and other developers. If they do the same with the iPhone 5 you can bet they won't be pleased and Apple's shareholders will feel it.

I for one could care less what Wall Street thinks of Apple. There stock price could be $300 a share or $500, since I have none how does that affect me? I just want a good phone. If it meets my needs, my expectations then I'm happy.

Alex-H
Sep 7, 2011, 02:05 PM
I for one could care less what Wall Street thinks of Apple.

om7O0MFkmpw

twitt3r
Sep 7, 2011, 02:15 PM
I for one could care less what Wall Street thinks of Apple. There stock price could be $300 a share or $500, since I have none how does that affect me? I just want a good phone. If it meets my needs, my expectations then I'm happy.
It's "could not care less" (just think about that logically - not just in terms of regional variation), but I for one certainly care about their stock price given that I inherited a load of Apple shares that were bought when they were around $50 a share. I can still have a good phone from them, and profit in the process.

Sodner
Sep 7, 2011, 02:22 PM
Yes I agree in the past that was true, but the landscape has changed and they really cannot afford to just increase the processor capability and bump the ram, lest they want their stock price to tumble. They've already caught a lot of flack (from outside of MacRumors) for Lion and iOS 5, and deservedly so. With their 1+ year refresh rate, and the fact that people are stuck in 2 year contracts, even if they came out with a 4" screen, 1080p recording and 8mpx cam, dual core proc, 1GB RAM, they would just now be BARELY meeting current specs, not to mention the movement is moving towards higher res and bigger screens, higher power dual core procs, and more that would overshadow it in the next couple of months.

Aren't we being a bit overly dramatic?

Have we learned nothing from the failure of "Your wife will love the dual core Tegra chipset." competitors? Are we forgetting that just yesterday Apple (a company that makes 2 models of phones at a time) is projected to be the WORLDS top smartphone vendor for 2011? People want a phone that "just works" and though some on here may be disappointed in the next iPhones specs or features, it will be snatched up by consumers as fast as they can make them.

And you can take that to the bank.

BJMRamage
Sep 7, 2011, 02:31 PM
Holographic display with quad-core i13 chips, 2TB drive, with Time Capsule (Airport Extreme tethering usage free of course). It will be "regular" iPhone size but will pull larger from all sides if need be to increase it to a 7" display. It will have a larger button but it is half Home button and half Facebook button.

Reach9
Sep 7, 2011, 05:35 PM
I think the only changes will be upgrades on what they already have, if it ain't broke don't fix it, the iPhone 4 is as close to perfection as you can get.

My predictions

64gb model
Increased processor and RAM
1080p video recording
8mp camera

the only shock and awe for me is that I firmly believe that Steve will be doing the keynote

The iPhone with the most negative publicity, with numerous faults and issues, such as the antennagate, proximity sensor issue, broken glass issue, poor ergonomics etc. and the fact that consumer report couldn't even recommend it.... is as close to perfection as you can get?

I hope your post was sarcasm, because the iPhone 4 is just the opposite. Apple got it wrong with the 4, and i believe they realized it, that's why according to credible sources the iPhone 4 design "fell out of favor" by the Apple executives. It's very broke, and Apple does need to fix it.

The iPhone 5 will be much more than a small spec upgrade, this one will be massive. And will indeed be, the biggest leap since the original. Internally and Externally, if rumors are true.
If Apple just wanted to release an iPhone model with the upgrades you stated, then they could have easily done so a long time ago.

sphoenix
Sep 7, 2011, 06:08 PM
I'm calling a 2012 June release. Imagine how many threads would erupt until then :D

natasha69
Sep 7, 2011, 06:13 PM
I'm calling a 2012 June release. Imagine how many threads would erupt until then :D

Nov 2012 - at least there will be something good to look forward to around election time. :)

woodekm
Sep 7, 2011, 06:14 PM
Im buying the next gen JUST to have the latest. Other than a car, this is just one of those things that I always look forward to buying. Im a sucker for Apple products.

Even though I absolutely LOVE my iPhone 4, I cant wait for the new one, whenever it comes out.

jrodsep
Sep 7, 2011, 07:06 PM
How cool would it be if Apple started the Keynote giving us the iPhone 4S...so everyone is happy but disappointed because it's a "new" phone (A5 processor is the only change) but not the showstopper everyone believed would be unveiled, price is not revealed or storage capacity and release info will be given soon. Then Apple gives us the date for iOS 5 release we get cheers and applause. They move on to the iPod portion of the show, iPod classic is killed off, we get a bigger iPod nano and the "surprise" last announcement of iPod Touch 3g in black or white with 16gb, 32gb and 64gb storage. Everyone applauds and Tim Cook says "Oh and one more thing before we leave....." and BAM!!!! Steve Jobs walks out with the iPhone 5.

Reach9
Sep 7, 2011, 07:09 PM
How cool would it be if Apple started the Keynote giving us the iPhone 4S...so everyone is happy but disappointed because it's a "new" phone (A5 processor is the only change) but not the showstopper everyone believed would be unveiled, price is not revealed or storage capacity and release info will be given soon. Then Apple gives us the date for iOS 5 release we get cheers and applause. They move on to the iPod portion of the show, iPod classic is killed off, we get a bigger iPod nano and the "surprise" last announcement of iPod Touch 3g in black or white with 16gb, 32gb and 64gb storage. Everyone applauds and Tim Cook says "Oh and one more thing before we leave....." and BAM!!!! Steve Jobs walks out with the iPhone 5.

Although i see no point of a iPod Touch 3G, when they can just make a pre-paid iPhone. I do like your idea, and i think it would be amazing.

Rhodan818
Sep 7, 2011, 07:51 PM
The iPhone 5 will have all same specs as iPhone4,

but will be offered in five different colors -- lime (lime green), strawberry (pinkish-red), blueberry (royal blue), grape (purple), and tangerine (orange-yellow).

Becomes top-selling smartphone 2011, 2012 and 2013.

pullfocus
Sep 7, 2011, 07:55 PM
I fully expect the iPhone 5 to have a nuclear powered flux-capacitor.

syan48306
Sep 7, 2011, 08:06 PM
What if the "delay" was just to let Qualcom get their act together and have them release their new LTE chips? :rolleyes:

I can see it now.

iPhone 5 slips to Q1 2012 perhaps featuring the new gen of LTE chip"
*shock and awe*

Muro
Sep 7, 2011, 08:23 PM

Nice idea at the end man, except for this....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1218589&highlight=

Now if we were smartphone producers, I would sue your ass so hard it would feel like you were ******** whole Apple's.

(just joking)

jrodsep
Sep 7, 2011, 08:26 PM
Nice idea at the end man, except for this....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1218589&highlight=

Now if we were smartphone producers, I would sue your ass so hard it would feel like you were ******** whole Apple's.

(just joking)

You would sue me and I would sue you and at the end we would sign a working agreement to sue the next person who uses that idea that way we both make money...

tann
Sep 7, 2011, 08:35 PM

Woah. This would be the ultimate scenario! Heck if apple isn't planning to do this then I think they should scrap whatever they were planning to do and do it this way instead!!

Someone forward this post to Tim ASAP!!

Muro
Sep 7, 2011, 08:37 PM
You would sue me and I would sue you and at the end we would sign a working agreement to sue the next person who uses that idea that way we both make money...

Cool...sounds fine by me. What if the event goes exactly as we have predicted, should we also sue Apple.

I only settle with an agreement in the form of a free iPhone 5 and I will drop all charges.

jrodsep
Sep 7, 2011, 08:38 PM
Cool...sounds fine by me. What if the event goes exactly as we have predicted, should we also sue Apple.

I only settle with an agreement in the form of a free iPhone 5 and I will drop all charges.

That sounds good.....lol :)

cyks
Sep 7, 2011, 08:42 PM
Everyone applauds and Tim Cook says "Oh and one more thing before we leave....." and BAM!!!! Steve Jobs walks out with the iPhone 5.

As was mentioned in another thread suggesting the same idea, that would be a perfect way of showing that, even though he's no longer CEO, he's still the most important thing at Apple and that there's no way they'd manage to do anything once he's gone.

Jobs can walk out, smile for the camera, and congratulate Cook, but in no way should he come close to promoting any new technology.