Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ENSO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Ok, so I'm just short of going mad! :D I have attempted to do this by following many many threads from different forums but to no avail. I've decided to see who can help me!!

I have a MBP 13". It's a fairly new one and has an AirPort and Wifi, etc. I have a hardline internet access (NO WIRELESS INTERNET ACCESS). I also have a new XBOX 360 with wireless access.

I'm trying to bridge my XBOX 360 to my MacBook "wirelessly" so that I can connect to "XBOX LIVE". I've seen threads where people have been successful but, they have older MBs' and the illustration isn't the same.

WIRELESS ROUTERS ARE OUT OF THE QUESTION as the interet provider doesn't allow (don't ask :rolleyes:)

ETHERNET CABLES ARE ALSO OUT OF THE QUESTION.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

THX

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
A Little More Info

Is needed here. When you say the xbox is wireless, do you mean you have the adaptor installed?

If so, you should be able to create a network, and add the xbox to it so that your MB can see it.

I'm no xbox expert, so as far as the rest of it goes others here will know more, but I do know you should be able to connect them AS LONG AS you have the proper Microsoft wifi adaptor for your xbox.

ISP says no wifi? I'd change.:)

ENSO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
The XBOX is set up with WIFI so I'm assuming the adapter is installed.

I would change my ISP but we only have one to choose from. :mad:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Check The Back

The XBOX is set up with WIFI so I'm assuming the adapter is installed.

I would change my ISP but we only have one to choose from. :mad:

Of your xbox, and look for a plugin adaptor with an aerial built into it, plugged in to the socket.

If that's there, you should be good to go, but need someone here to go through the xbox side of things.

If it's not there, then check on Amazon the adaptors are not too expensive.

ENSO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
the wifi is built in, according to the box the console came in. no aerial connected in back.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
The newer Xboxes have the wifi card built-in.

@OP
What version of OS X are you using - T, L, SL, Lion? Following these directions straight from Xbox should do the trick - the options might show up a little different depending on your OS version.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/get-started/connecting/mac-computer

Also, double check that your router address is 192.168.0.1 and change that accordingly. Second, when selecting share connection from Ethernet, change to computers using AirPort.

ENSO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
The newer Xboxes have the wifi card built-in.

@OP
What version of OS X are you using - T, L, SL, Lion? Following these directions straight from Xbox should do the trick - the options might show up a little different depending on your OS version.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/get-started/connecting/mac-computer

Also, double check that your router address is 192.168.0.1 and change that accordingly. Second, when selecting share connection from Ethernet, change to computers using AirPort.

I thinking I'm running SL or Lion. I'm not sure and as I'm new fairly new with MBs', I can't find it under "About this Mac".

Thank you for the link, however....it still requires an ETHERNET cable which I've already stated that I can't use to connect the XBOX to the MAC, because I'm hard lined in and there is only one port. I need to be able to connect my XBOX to my MAC without and ethernet cord.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
I thinking I'm running SL or Lion. I'm not sure and as I'm new fairly new with MBs', I can't find it under "About this Mac".

Thank you for the link, however....it still requires an ETHERNET cable which I've already stated that I can't use to connect the XBOX to the MAC, because I'm hard lined in and there is only one port. I need to be able to connect my XBOX to my MAC without and ethernet cord.

Like I said, you need to change the option under internet sharing to share using the airport. Look at Step 5 and 6 on that page and change it to the following. "Share your connection from Ethernet to Computers using AirPort":cool:

ENSO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Like I said, you need to change the option under internet sharing to share using the airport. Look at Step 5 and 6 on that page and change it to the following. "Share your connection from Ethernet to Computers using AirPort":cool:

Started from Step 1 and went to the end. On my xbox screen, i'm connection from XBOX -> MacBook but then no connection to internet. I keep refreshing my pages online to ensure the connection is good. I think i may have screwed the IP, Subnet, Router, DNS on either. This really needs to be a plug and play....:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.