PDA

View Full Version : G4 trouble

AtmChm
Sep 2, 2011, 11:52 AM
I have a G4 Quicksilver dual 1 GHz. It will power on, fans turn, HDD spins up, but no video, and the LED only comes on when you press the power button, it then turns off on both the tower and the LCD studio display. Any thoughts? I have reset the PRAM, pulled the battery and replaced it, swapped out the video card, tried a different HD. None of these has worked. I am using a cable for the HD that i'm not sure of its origin, but even with that disconnected I still have the same symptoms.

Help!

MAC MAN JW
Sep 2, 2011, 02:14 PM
I have a G4 Quicksilver dual 1 GHz. It will power on, fans turn, HDD spins up, but no video, and the LED only comes on when you press the power button, it then turns off on both the tower and the LCD studio display. Any thoughts? I have reset the PRAM, pulled the battery and replaced it, swapped out the video card, tried a different HD. None of these has worked. I am using a cable for the HD that i'm not sure of its origin, but even with that disconnected I still have the same symptoms.

Help!

it is the psu or system bord or cpu card. i had the same mac as you and the same thing. got a new psu (very hard to find) and it blew the new psu. mine was a bad cpu and system bord. so i just get a older QS and put the video card and ram in it. it was up to 3am for 3 days trying to get it to work and a $140 later. :)

AtmChm
Sep 2, 2011, 06:42 PM
it is the psu or system bord or cpu card. i had the same mac as you and the same thing. got a new psu (very hard to find) and it blew the new psu. mine was a bad cpu and system bord. so i just get a older QS and put the video card and ram in it. it was up to 3am for 3 days trying to get it to work and a $140 later. :)

OK, well if it is the system board and/or cpu then that's the end of the line for this one. I have a G4 sawtooth I can use instead. I mainly wanted to use the QS since it is a dual 1 GHz, but if the cpu or board is bad then that's not an option. Is there any definitive way to narrow down the exact problem to either the cpu or mother board?

MAC MAN JW
Sep 2, 2011, 07:42 PM
OK, well if it is the system board and/or cpu then that's the end of the line for this one. I have a G4 sawtooth I can use instead. I mainly wanted to use the QS since it is a dual 1 GHz, but if the cpu or board is bad then that's not an option. Is there any definitive way to narrow down the exact problem to either the cpu or mother board?

replace it and see if that is it. that is the only tru way to know. for the cpu card put your hand ontop of the cpu heatsink to see if it is geting hot if it is hot your cpu may be ok because the cpu has power,my dual 1ghz qs was cold but the working qs 733mhz was hot because the cpu was working. the min you turn it on it starts to get hot :) if you can find a QS powersupply for little $ you can try that as well if you want. The quicksilver g4s have a hard to find psu :(

Edit: sorry for my bad spelling i am doing this on a nintendo wii with no spell check because i lost my chrger to my powerbook and all my outher macs are desktop and my macbook does not come to next week. my room is to hot to be in right now :)

AtmChm
Sep 6, 2011, 02:35 PM

Turned it on and let it sit for a while. The cpu is not warming up at all, but the GPU on the video card is, so seems like it might be the cpu. Thanks for the help!

yamu
Sep 6, 2011, 03:12 PM
Sometimes an externally powered usb 2 hub connected to a usb 2 pci card may cause the same symphtoms.

AtmChm
Sep 6, 2011, 09:14 PM
Sometimes an externally powered usb 2 hub connected to a usb 2 pci card may cause the same symphtoms.

Yes, I've have that problem with a usb 2 pci card I have, but that was not in this particular system. Thanks!