Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I apologise as I realise this question has probably been asked quite a lot, but I hope someone can help me.

If I was to buy a Time Capsule and Apple TV to hook up to my MBP, what would be the best way/app to configure it so that I could directly stream videos from my MBP/TC to the ATV without converting them to mp4/buying through iTunes (ie. playing AVI, MKV, MPEG, FLV, F4V etc. files)?

I take it this is not possible to do natively.

So are there hacks or third party apps that allow you to do this? And how reliable/effective are they?

Many thanks for your help.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Why do you say that treestar? What would you recommend is the alternative?

treestar

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Never mind. I think I was maybe wrong. I thought ATV was limited to 720p and if you installed XBMC then you wouldn't have access to iOS. But if you can install XBMC and playback all formats up to 1080p with an ethernet port and HDMI, for $99 it's a steal. I don't know if that's the case though. Otherwise, there are cheap options out there that can play content in the formats you listed. I use a TViX. It's not the best. I actually like XBMC a lot, I just didn't know the ATV was a good match for XBMC. I still don't.

Skyseattle

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
There is an app to do that

As I understand your question, you can use the app "air video" to do that. You need the app on your iPhone or iPad, and the server app on your computer. After configuring it, you can call up most video types and it will play it with live conversion and allow you to stream it to Apple TV. It works pretty good, it's a little slow to get started but not a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.