Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrummy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Hey all,

Can anyone out there recommend a less expensive alternative to the superdrive Apple offers?

Cheers!

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I have a superdrive mainly cause of the look for my desktop area, but I do have a cheap dvd drive from Target that I picked up for like $30-40 and it works just fine....

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Basically all DVD USB External drives will work.

Superdrive is just a fancy word for nothing special but an Apple made DVD drive with USB ;)

I just returned an HP external drive to Best Buy because the drivers weren't compatible and it caused kernel panics any time I'd leave it plugged in.

Most drives will work, but there are some exceptions. Unfortunately, I don't think there's really a way to know which ones don't without trying them out.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
now if you want real speed buy a plexter external. though it needs power. it is about 2x the speed of the superdrive thats 2x in real use.

archangelg

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
Anybody have another alternative with a Blu-ray reader or writer (for those who may use a Bootcamp/Parallel Windows?)

GeekGuys

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
I know from experience that LG Ultra drives do not work with Mac OS X.
Typical as this was one I had already so ended up buying a Super Drive anyway.

Anyone else had problems with the USB cable splitting next to the drive body (where it bends most I guess). Mine went after about 4 months. Never got round to returning it and that was 2 years ago now !!!!!

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
One thing I don't like on the Samsung drive is you need to plug it in 2 USB ports. No power required. The SuperDrive is nice, but pricey. However only needs one USB to work.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
It seems from reviews that some of these drives come with dual-USB cables but will work fine with a single connection. I have a Rosewill drive on order from Newegg (was on sale @ $25) which is reported to be this way. Will post when I get it and determine if it's true.

I so rarely need optical that if it does require two USB, it won't be a big deal. Hope it'll be fine with one though. :)

ts3

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2011
One thing I don't like on the Samsung drive is you need to plug it in 2 USB ports. No power required. The SuperDrive is nice, but pricey. However only needs one USB to work.

I have a Samsung & it works fine with just one USB plugged in. Just make sure to plug in the main and not the secondary one. Samsung sells separately extension cables that let you to plug in both USBs but I'm too cheap for that :D

In theory it might be running more slowly with one USB than with two but as far as I'm concerned it doesn't make much difference for uploading music or watching DVDs. YMMV.

Last edited:

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I looked at 3rd party drives and in the end end, even though it cost twice as much, I just got the Superdrive. Never have to worry about compatibility and frankly, some of the other drivers were butt-ugly - not that is a real big deal as I rarely use the drive.

macfly4

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
i got a dvd writer from samsung from new egg for about #30. nice bonus is that i can play region 2 dvd's with it and attached to my plasma through the thunderbolt to hdmi cord.
think amusing also has a blu ray reader/dvd writer for about $80

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I know Apple doesn't like Blueray and all.

But i have a Blueray drive and a USB adapter for it (universal adapter for all connection variants).

Would the apple be able to use it? I know i wont be able to play movies within OSx, but possibly in Windows?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I have a Rosewill drive on order from Newegg (was on sale @ $25) which is reported to [work fine with a single connection].

I received the drive this morning, used a basic A-to-B cable I had handy instead of of the dual-usb cable it shipped with.

Seems to read CDs and DVDs (data & video) just fine. Haven't had a chance to try burning anything. Happy with my $25 purchase.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I know Apple doesn't like Blueray and all.

But i have a Blueray drive and a USB adapter for it (universal adapter for all connection variants).

Would the apple be able to use it? I know i wont be able to play movies within OSx, but possibly in Windows?

I think you can rip blurays in OS X using MakeMKV or something similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.