PDA

View Full Version : Clipping Path from Selection in Photoshop

joe_gibb
Apr 26, 2005, 09:04 AM
Hi,

I have a lot of images I need to make clipping paths for. I've been using the wand to select the background (they're sharp images on a white background) and then selecting inverse, making a work path, saving that path, then selecting that path as a clipping path. When I save the selection as a path it isn't as 'tight' as the selection even with the tolerance set to 0.5 pixels.

Is there a better way to do it, or do I have to go back to actually drawing the paths with the pen tool?

Thanks.

macstudent
Apr 26, 2005, 09:13 AM
Drawing the paths is the best way to do it. After a while you get a lot better at it.

jayscheuerle
Apr 26, 2005, 09:56 AM
Just out of curiosity, what do you need clipping paths for? (I know what they're used for, but what's YOUR use?)

primalman
Apr 26, 2005, 10:01 AM
I've actually had better luck setting the device flatness to 8 rather than a lower number, at least for print work.

aricher
Apr 26, 2005, 10:30 AM
I recommend getting a Wacom tablet - you can hand draw paths in no time with that puppy. After sing a tablet I can barely path or draw with a mouse anymore - everything becomes second nature. I agree with Macstudent - draw the paths yourself or clean up the "convert to path" outlines. you'll never get a really great path with "convert to paths."

Blue Velvet
Apr 26, 2005, 11:20 AM
If it was me and time was of the essence, and I had clean easily-made selections from white backgrounds, then I'd save them as alpha channels and save the files as LZW TIFs.

File size, schmile size.

joe_gibb
Apr 27, 2005, 06:39 AM
I've actually had better luck setting the device flatness to 8 rather than a lower number, at least for print work.

I'll try increasing the flatness and see how that works. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to use the Pen Tool for the moment.

Thanks for the input guys.

jayscheuerle
Apr 27, 2005, 07:56 AM
Joe, is there a reason you can't use alpha channels? Are you putting it in a Quark document?

iGav
Apr 27, 2005, 08:49 AM
I recommend getting a Wacom tablet - you can hand draw paths in no time with that puppy. After sing a tablet I can barely path or draw with a mouse anymore - everything becomes second nature.

Bingo ;) there's just something fundamentally wrong with designers using mouses. :p

is there a reason you can't use alpha channels?

That was going to be my suggestion too. :)

Is there a better way to do it

yep... buy KnockOut 2 (http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Products/Display&pfid=1047024307431&pid=1047022702205) Photoshop's stock masking abilities are frankly *****. ;)

joe_gibb
Apr 28, 2005, 03:58 AM
Hi jayscheuerle,

I guess I don't really need to use clipping paths, so I tried your suggestion using alpha channels and it works very well. I think be using them from now on and ditch the clipping paths unless I'm exporting to Quark or something.

Blue Velvet
Apr 28, 2005, 06:08 AM
Hi jayscheuerle,

I guess I don't really need to use clipping paths, so I tried your suggestion using alpha channels and it works very well. I think be using them from now on and ditch the clipping paths unless I'm exporting to Quark or something.

Ahem... I'll take the credit for that suggestion. :D

jayscheuerle
Apr 28, 2005, 07:27 AM
Hi jayscheuerle,

I don't know how familiar you are with using alpha channels, but you can often find one grey scale color channel (either the R, G, B or C, M, Y, K) that offers the greatest contrast between your object and the background can be duped and used as a starting point for a transparency alpha channel.

OR invest in something like Knockout Pro.

joe_gibb
Apr 28, 2005, 12:53 PM
Ahem... I'll take the credit for that suggestion. :D

I'm terribly sorry Blue Velvet, you did mention it first :)

Joe.

Espnetboy3
May 6, 2005, 12:45 PM
What is the main point of using alpha channels and or clipping paths or masking? I was never really sure as to when one would apply these techniques.

jayscheuerle
May 6, 2005, 12:48 PM
What is the main point of using alpha channels and or clipping paths or masking? I was never really sure as to when one would apply these techniques.

usually to separate an element from its background.

mkrishnan
May 6, 2005, 12:59 PM
If you do end up wanting to do it the way you do now, for some reason, wouldn't the magnetic lasso (hehehe I think of wonder woman every time I think of that tool...lalala, I'm such a 'tard) be a much better choice than the wand? It will give you a very well defined path, rather than having fuzz on it.

porterdaniel08
Jun 22, 2014, 03:30 AM
Did you try with any professional clipping path services provider? I think you should take help from them.

funwithdesign
Jul 11, 2014, 10:55 PM
Did you try with any professional clipping path services provider? I think you should take help from them.

Hopefully got it sorted nine years later... :)