Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
Ok, so I have an Airport Extreme upstair next to my Comcast modem and one downstairs for my portion of the house that has my printer hooked to it. I tried setting the downstairs one to extend the upstairs network but I never could get that to function properly, so it has it's own separate wireless network. I used to have an Airport Express downstair but it was unreliable at best and I eventually threw it away.

So, I would like to setup my printer so anyone on the upstairs network can use it, how do I go about doing that? I've tried figuring this out int he Airport utility but it doesn't get me enough information to figure out what it needs to work. I have tried google searches and all I come up with is that it might be possible but no documentation about how to make it happen.

Can someone please help?

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
They'll need to be on the same network for this to work (i.e., any computer will need to be able to "see" the router the printer is connected to--i.e., by IP address) so I'd suggest figuring out what was wrong with your earlier attempt to extend the network. If you don't actually need the network extended (i.e., greater distance for the original signal), you can also try using it in bridge mode.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
They'll need to be on the same network for this to work (i.e., any computer will need to be able to "see" the router the printer is connected to--i.e., by IP address) so I'd suggest figuring out what was wrong with your earlier attempt to extend the network. If you don't actually need the network extended (i.e., greater distance for the original signal), you can also try using it in bridge mode.

The problem with extending the network with the Express was how unstable the Express was. It would constantly need to be rebooted to get any data throughput, I had to reboot everytime I turned on the printer and anytime I wanted to use my AppleTV. The ONLY thing that worked right was AirTunes.

The network does need to be extended as the house is too large for one router to cover it.

The WAN port of the downstairs Extreme is connected to the LAN port of the upstairs Extreme. I tried several times to get the downstairs Extreme to extend the upstairs Extreme, but Apple doesn't seem to allow that.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
The WAN port of the downstairs Extreme is connected to the LAN port of the upstairs Extreme. I tried several times to get the downstairs Extreme to extend the upstairs Extreme, but Apple doesn't seem to allow that.

Can't you use "bridge" mode for this? I don't know if there's a separate option or if you just have to disable DHCP (or "automatically assign IP addresses" or whatever Apple calls it) on the second Extreme.

Or, at least, that would work for wired. I assume wireless would take the same settings (automatically, after the wired connection is bridged), i.e., defer DHCP to the original router and avoid double NAT or having two separate networks. But I don't have two to try, and I'm too lazy to find the documentation...

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Turn DHCP off on the downstairs Extreme. In the Internet tab turn Connection Sharing to Off (Bridge mode). This effectively makes your second AEBS act as a wireless access point, allowing it to create SSIDs that clients can connect to downstairs and still be able to communicate with clients connected to the AEBS upstairs. This also works for printers connected to either Extreme.

Onyr

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Kennewick, WA
Wireless Moron

OK... that's me, a wireless moron. I always have trouble setting up a network and adding computers to the internet, until I used a Cisco Valet plus with my imac. The software did everything for me effortlessly.

Then I upgraded to Lion and bought a new MBA 13" (Lion) and guess what. Cisco tells me their router doesn't work with Lion (they're working on a fix.

I can still get internet on the other computers, but I can't seem to file share or share printers. The two computers act as if the other one does not exist.

I have a memory of having a PC network where they all 'saw' each other and it was a breeze to save files to other computers. (No, I am not going back to PC's. My first computer was a Mac 512ke in 1985 or so and I regret ever straying from Macdom)

So having only slightly more money than brains, last week I buy a Netgear dual band router that's supposed to be faster than airport extreme.

So I hook it up with no problem, internet on all three computers, plus the TV so I can watch Netflix movies online on the big screen, but...

I still can't share printers or files or see a 'network image' if such a thing exists.

I need a basic course in this stuff I guess.

I guess I can return the Netgear router (I now have 3 up to date routers) but am intrigued by this notion of using one for each computer. I REALLY don't understand how THAT works.

If it matters, I have a satellite modem, "Clear"

Onyr

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Kennewick, WA
Wireless Moron

OK... that's me, a wireless moron. I always have trouble setting up a network and adding computers to the internet, until I used a Cisco Valet plus with my imac. The software did everything for me effortlessly.

Then I upgraded to Lion and bought a new MBA 13" (Lion) and guess what. Cisco tells me their router doesn't work with Lion (they're working on a fix.

I can still get internet on the other computers, but I can't seem to file share or share printers. The two computers act as if the other one does not exist.

I have a memory of having a PC network where they all 'saw' each other and it was a breeze to save files to other computers. (No, I am not going back to PC's. My first computer was a Mac 512ke in 1985 or so and I regret ever straying from Macdom)

So having only slightly more money than brains, last week I buy a Netgear dual band router that's supposed to be faster than airport extreme.

So I hook it up with no problem, internet on all three computers, plus the TV so I can watch Netflix movies online on the big screen, but...

I still can't share printers or files or see a 'network image' if such a thing exists.

I need a basic course in this stuff I guess.

I guess I can return the Netgear router (I now have 3 up to date routers) but am intrigued by this notion of using one for each computer. I REALLY don't understand how THAT works.

If it matters, I have a satellite modem, "Clear"

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
Turn DHCP off on the downstairs Extreme. In the Internet tab turn Connection Sharing to Off (Bridge mode). This effectively makes your second AEBS act as a wireless access point, allowing it to create SSIDs that clients can connect to downstairs and still be able to communicate with clients connected to the AEBS upstairs. This also works for printers connected to either Extreme.

I will try this when I get home Friday and report back, thanks.

RMo said:
But I don't have two to try, and I'm too lazy to find the documentation...

I tried looking for the proper documentation and couldn't come up with anything. Either my searchfu was weak or it isn't so easy to find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.