PDA

View Full Version : How do I connect my Sony Bravia HDTV to my iMac?

Meeshie
Sep 4, 2011, 01:18 AM
Hi, I just bought a Sony Bravia HDTV with the intention of using it as a 2nd monitor for my iMac. I used a Rocketfish brand mini-display port to HDMI adapter & connected it to my TV using HDMI port 1. When I selected the HDMI 1 input I got this message on my TV: "No signal. Check the external input or select another input using the INPUT button." I unplugged/replugged the cables & still get the same message. I shut down the iMac, turned off the TV, restarted everything & still get the same message. I went to the Device List on the TV and "enabled" it and rcvd "No HDMI devices were found. Please check the connections." I'm obviously missing something. Can you help me? I'd hate to have to repackage this TV & send it back. :( Thanks.

Hellhammer
Sep 4, 2011, 02:23 AM
Does your iMac see the TV (check System Preferences > Displays)?

Meeshie
Sep 4, 2011, 07:26 AM
Hi, HellHammer.
No, my Mac doesn't see the TV. Did I connect the cables incorrectly? I tried to follow the instructions that came with the TV, but, of course, it was really "how to connect to PC" (not Mac, LOL). But I figured if I followed the directions it'd still work. Maybe I need additional cable(s)? I thought the HDMI alone would do the trick. :o

Hellhammer
Sep 4, 2011, 07:27 AM
As long as all cables are connected properly, it should work. I would start by returning the adapter, it can be DOA.

Meeshie
Sep 4, 2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks, HH...but what other adapter should I use? I mean, I got it @ BestBuy from their "Apple" section & this was the only brand they had. Is there a better one somewhere I can get, like, yesterday? :) Or is there another connection I can use? I figured the HDMI would be the best one but I've read other threads that mentioned mini-display port to DVI & then DVI to HDMI. What would be the best connection? :confused:

Hellhammer
Sep 4, 2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks, HH...but what other adapter should I use? I mean, I got it @ BestBuy from their "Apple" section & this was the only brand they had. Is there a better one somewhere I can get, like, yesterday? :) Or is there another connection I can use? I figured the HDMI would be the best one but I've read other threads that mentioned mini-display port to DVI & then DVI to HDMI. What would be the best connection? :confused:

I would simply go to Best Buy and ask them to try the adapter to make sure it works (e.g. ask them to connect it to one of their Macs and TVs). I would stick with the same adapter, as long as you get a working one.

If the adapter works, then the problem is elsewhere. Might be in the iMac if it doesn't even recognize the adapter.

Meeshie
Sep 4, 2011, 08:16 AM
Yikes! I hope not. I recently upgraded from Tiger:apple: to Snow Leopard:apple: & everything went seemlessly except I lost my iSight for a few months. Just recently got that back w/a recent software upgrade. I guess I should've researched a bit further before I purchased the Sony, huh? :( I really hope it's just a bad cable & the next one will work perfectly. I'd really like to use the Sony as a 2nd monitor. I'll keep you posted, HH. I really appreciate your help. Hopefully I can get back to Best Buy later on today. Take care. :)

Hellhammer
Sep 4, 2011, 08:20 AM
If your iMac was running Tiger, then you can't use Mini DisplayPort. What you need is most likely Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter.

QuarterSwede
Sep 4, 2011, 08:50 AM
If your iMac was running Tiger, then you can't use Mini DisplayPort. What you need is most likely Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter.
I use an original Apple Mini-DVI to DVI adapter connected to a Monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp) DVI to HDMI Cable for my MacBook and Samsung HDTV and it's recognizes it just fine.

Monoprice has a lot of dirt cheap (good quality though) solutions (http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=dvi+to+hdmi&x=0&y=0).

Meeshie
Sep 4, 2011, 07:38 PM

Hi, HH...I guess I'll try that Mini-DVI to HDMI because I got another cable & it still didn't work. I hooked up my Dell laptop to my TV using a VGA & it popped up with no problem! I'm considering trying a VGA adapter as well. I'll let you know tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.

----------

I use an original Apple Mini-DVI to DVI adapter connected to a Monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp) DVI to HDMI Cable for my MacBook and Samsung HDTV and it's recognizes it just fine.

Monoprice has a lot of dirt cheap (good quality though) solutions (http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=dvi+to+hdmi&x=0&y=0).

Hi, QuarterSwede! Thanks for the info. I'm going to try that tomorrow. Will keep you posted. :)

panzer06
Sep 4, 2011, 11:16 PM
Hi, HH...I guess I'll try that Mini-DVI to HDMI because I got another cable & it still didn't work. I hooked up my Dell laptop to my TV using a VGA & it popped up with no problem! I'm considering trying a VGA adapter as well. I'll let you know tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.

----------

Hi, QuarterSwede! Thanks for the info. I'm going to try that tomorrow. Will keep you posted. :)

If this is an older iMac with mini-dvi connector there is not mini-displayport port to connect to. How were you plugging this adapter in? Where?

This is for the late 2009/early 2010 iMac with Mini-Displayport
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3913
This is for the early 2009 iMac with Mini-Displayport
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3470

And the attached pic is from 2008 with mini-DVI

If it's 2008 or earlier is mini-DVI and that mini-Displayport could not have plugged into the video port. Verify your model number before buying anymore adapters.

Cheers,

Meeshie
Sep 5, 2011, 01:05 AM
OMGsh, panzer06, you hit the nail right on the head! :o I am soooo embarrassed!:o I do have that older model that you included a thumbnail of and I was actually plugging in the MDP into the wrong port! I can't believe I did that. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Now I have better "ammunition" when I revisit BestBuy later on today. Thank you thank you thank you for showing me that.

Meeshie
Sep 5, 2011, 11:38 AM
:) Hi! I just came back from Best Buy w/a Rocketfish mini DVI to VGA adapter, plugged it in, told my iMac:apple: to detect displays and...voila! It works! Whoop whoop! I am soooooooo happy!!! :D Thanks to all three of you for helping me! Thank you thank you thank you!!!! :)