Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Hey guys.
So I bought a 13" base model and I absolutely love it!
The only problem is that my backlight keyboard just stopped working. I turned it completely down to safe battery, and I wanted to turn it up again but now it doesn't respond anymore.
it only shows that sign that it is off!
Does anybody know any solution? apple store is half an hour away and I don't have that much time to waste.
thanks

jpi

Attachments

• sign copy.jpg
    sign copy.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 5,848

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I assume you have already tried rebooting the computer and trying the keyboard backlight again?

The next thing I would do is reset the PRAM and SMC which may control the keyboard lighting. Instructions are on the Apple Support site.

PRAM reset:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1365

SMC reset:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

Good luck....;)

EDIT: haha ... yeah, I forgot to mention ... be sure you are in a dim location when trying to turn on keyboard backlighting. I assumed you were probably doing that.

-howard

Last edited:

jpi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2011
hahaha. I guess that was the problem. now it works, even though it was not that bright earlier! :)
but it is my first mac. ;)

miazma

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
haha....

playing a gig in the club tonight and just mentioned the same problem here and was afraid I'd have to do the pram/smc reset (which once led to unbootable system). thanks god I did read this to the end. never knew backlight is forced inactive in daylight.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
you just need to go to keyboard settings and uncheck the box "adjust keyboard brightness in low light" and its fully manual even in bright light.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I love this thread. It reminds me of when I took my wife's macbook to apple cause the screen was out. They just brightened the screen and wa la it worked.:D

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
There's a setting in system preferences for auto keyboard brightness. Turn it off and you will be able to adjust your keyboard manually in bright light.

kricher

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
15 MBP late 2011

Hi there. So my keyboard was damaged. I replaced it by the second hand one from eBay. All working now, BUT NO KEYBOARD BACKLIGHT. I tryed to put backlight plastic from new one, and from old one. NO LIGHT. On motherboard connector of keyboard backlight is 1V. I tryed to do the SMC reset also. So im writing here as a last chance to get it work again. Thanks. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.