Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

physics700

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
So... decided to start up my MDD 800 1.25Ghz and at first got the flashing system folder icon. So i put in a 10.5 install cd in and restarted. At first it started and i could hear the computer starting up but no picture on the screen. So i unplugged it and waited about 10 minutes. Then turned it on and after a few seconds got the startup chime and then the apple logo and the cd started to spin up and then got the following kernel panic:

I already tried replacing the motherboard and ram with no help. If you have anything i would appreciate it.

Attachments

• panic.jpg
    panic.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 106

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I already tried replacing the motherboard and ram with no help. If you have anything i would appreciate it.

If you have done that then all I can think of is it's either the PMU or the CPU daughter card.

Are all the fans spinning properly? It could possibly be an overheating issue since it's an MDD.

physics700

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
CPU Daughter card? Sorry for my ignorance but is that the same as the card the has both the processors on it? I got one in the mail to replace my current one.
The fans are all spinning when i turn it on as well.
How often do i need to reapply that paste? and can it affect it that quickly after turning on the power?

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I just wanted to share my experience, maybe you can pick up a thing or two.

I have a non booting powermac G4 1.42ghz dual processor. It turns on and after 10 seconds the CPU fan would run at full speed.

Taken out the CPU, cleaned, reapplied thermal paste. Replaced memory.

It still would not boot. I have a 1.25ghz single hanging around, so what I did was to place the 1.42 CPU on the 1.25 single and the MDD single booted with the 1.42ghz CPU.

I then place the 1.25 ghz single to the mdd dual logic and guess... the think will not boot with the same symptom. So I am sure in my case I know now that the logic board failed.

hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.