Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colt6920

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
I just bought a 2011 27inch iMac that will be upgraded to lion as soon as I get it. I know in SL it was possible to connect a PS3 controller is this still true in lion? Also if it is possible to connect it would I be able to use it to play games like Borderlands, Portal 2, Left For Dead2, and Team Fortress?

If its not possible would it be if I installed windows 7? I am not a fan off using the keyboard and mouse to play games.

colt6920

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Ok, so I have about a 50/50 chance of getting it to work with lion. But what concerns me the most is if it will work for the games I mentioned. It wont cost me anything to try and sync the PS3 controller but if I buy those games and they don't work with the controller I am out quite a bit of money.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
For what it's worth I couldn't get it to work with either Portal 2 or Team Fortress 2. The other games I don't have so I can't comment on them. The wired Xbox 360 controllers generally work better with PC and Mac games. Portal 2 definitely supports it as does Bioshock. I believe most PC and Mac games that are designed to also work with a control pad generally support the Xbox 360 controller by default. That said I've only got wireless Xbox 360 controllers so I've not been able to test one. I am thinking about getting a second hand one to try out as I feel it may well be a better option then the PS3 controller.

colt6920

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
So Portal 2 is designed to work with a controller but you couldnt get it to. I guess I just wait until a few more people give it a try and hopefully there will be a solution soon.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
So Portal 2 is designed to work with a controller but you couldnt get it to. I guess I just wait until a few more people give it a try and hopefully there will be a solution soon.

Get a wired Xbox360 controller.

I prefer sonys controllers but getting them to work is just full of issues, most PC games these days are built with the 360 pad in mind and turning it on is just a case of ticking a box in settings. It is a good pad for gaming and available very cheap since most 360 users prefer the wifi pad.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I think you misunderstood what I said. It's designed to work with the Xbox 360 controller specifically. If you go to the controller configuration in the settings it even shows an Xbox 360 controller. As SlickShoes mentioned most PC/Mac games that have control pad support are designed to work with the Xbox 360 controller. There is even a version that comes in different packaging with Windows drivers and is marketed as a Windows controller. That said any official wired Xbox 360 control pad will work.

colt6920

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
I think you misunderstood what I said. It's designed to work with the Xbox 360 controller specifically. If you go to the controller configuration in the settings it even shows an Xbox 360 controller. As SlickShoes mentioned most PC/Mac games that have control pad support are designed to work with the Xbox 360 controller. There is even a version that comes in different packaging with Windows drivers and is marketed as a Windows controller. That said any official wired Xbox 360 control pad will work.

Sorry about the confusion, so I'll just get a wired 360 controller and I should be good to go.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Sorry about the confusion, so I'll just get a wired 360 controller and I should be good to go.

Yep, I picked mine up on ebay for £6 about a year ago. Im sure new they will be about £30 though.

I am not sure if it works on TF2 though, i ended up playing that in windows, but i played L4D1 and 2 with it and Portal 1 and 2. If you use bootcamp, it works perfectly in the crysis games and almost any of the recent multiplatform titles for PC and xbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.