Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michiganitis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Just got a used Macbook 7.1 (released mid-2010 and discontinued, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo). Which OS should I use for best performance?

Thanks!

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
To be honest with you, I would stay with SL.

Ive upgraded to Lion from launch date but there is way too much problems.
Yes it has good parts like mission control, launch pad, etc but slow boot, extreme lag/beach ball sometimes, favorite gesture gone and never can be changed, many kernel panics, I would stay with SL.

Due to all these problems, I dual boot with SL now instead of Lion until further update comes.

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
i purchased an upgraded black macbook and the guy i bought it from installed Lion with an buttload of windows programs...i've since deleted all the windows programs and am seriously considering just installing SL on her...its really pointless as the blackbook doesnt have all the gestures as on my MBP (which i still run SL on)...im not impressed with Lion at all...also, if i have the SL install disk that came with my MBP, can i use it to install SL on the blackbook? Im just NOT a fan of Lion!

Nogui

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
Abu Dhabi
I purchased my MacBook with the same specs as yours in March 2010, and upgraded from SL to Lion about a week and a half ago.

Lion is definitely faster and better on the internet and for everything else. Although SL did have better frame rates while gaming, I noticed with SL that I managed to get 50+ running full graphics on pretty much everything, although now on Lion I'll get 50+ but every minute or so I'll get a second of jumps and/or latency, although it's bearable so doesn't really stop me from getting on with anything.

Otherwise, Lion is definitely faster and better at almost everything; and for only £21 it's like getting a free iPad with a keyboard!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.