Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moressina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2011
Hi,
I just got a Samsung W200 Camcorder as a present, but the box says it's only compatible with PC (the software that comes in the box is not compatible with Mac). I have a MacBook Pro with Leopard- is there any workaround? Otherwise I'll have to return the item.. Not willing to go back to PC!!
Thanks in advance

moressina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2011
Full specs at http://www.samsung.com/us/photography/camcorders/HMX-W200RN/XAA-features

Video Recording:
AAC Audio Format
Auto Focus
Auto Shutter
Auto White Balance
Built-in Microphone
H.264 Recording Format
Full HD 1920x1080 30p/25p (17Mbps), HD 1280x720 30p/25p (8MBps) Recording Resolution

Still Imaging:
JPEG Still Image Format
5.5MP (2720x2040) / 4:3, 3MP (2048x1536) / 4:3, 2MP (1920x1080) / 16:9, VGA (640x480) / 4:3 Resolution

Memory
MicroSD Card

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hi,
I just got a Samsung W200 Camcorder as a present, but the box says it's only compatible with PC (the software that comes in the box is not compatible with Mac). I have a MacBook Pro with Leopard- is there any workaround? Otherwise I'll have to return the item.. Not willing to go back to PC!!
Thanks in advance
Your Samsung w200 HD records on microSD cards in h.264/AAC for its video/audio. H.264/AAC are the default video/audio formats for QuickTime. This means that the QuickTime Player, iTunes, iMovie, and just about every other Mac video and/or QuickTime-based application should handle your camcorder's video without issue.

Words for the Wise:
  1. You have a Mac.
  2. Assume that your Mac supports the media format out-of-the-box. [In your case, it does.] If it does not, then download and install the Perian codec suite.
  3. Manufacturer's software is usually Windows-only. Assume that you do not need it. If you do not intend to install the manufacturer's software on a Windows machine, then its distribution CD can be used as a small Frisbee®.
Your camcorder should mount on your Desktop when you connect your camcorder to your Mac via USB. Drag the video files from the mounted volume to your Movies folder or whichever folder you prefer. I assume that Samsung supports USB Automount. If not, then you may use a microSD-compatible card reader.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.