PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Logic with Lion

kaibex
Sep 5, 2011, 11:54 AM
I have been using logic express since I got my macbook a couple of years back with Leopard. I upgraded to Snow Leopard when released and no problems. Since I upgraded to Lion, Logic Express 8 doesn't work anymore. Apple support on the phone have just basically said "your problem, you should have gone on logic support site and checked first." Anyone else had similar problem?

treestar
Sep 5, 2011, 11:56 AM
Logic 8 is not supported in Lion. You must purchase Logic 9.

kaibex
Sep 5, 2011, 12:25 PM
Logic 8 is not supported in Lion. You must purchase Logic 9.

I know that now but after purchasing upgrade, I would have to spend another 83.00 to get logic working again, which I don't think I should have to.

colourfastt
Sep 5, 2011, 12:55 PM
I know that now but after purchasing upgrade, I would have to spend another 83.00 to get logic working again, which I don't think I should have to.

We are Apple. You exist to service Us. Resistance is futile.

It's the Apple way: break things that are working forcing you to spend MORE money on an "upgrade".

treestar
Sep 6, 2011, 04:13 PM

You don't have to use Lion. For some reason Lion is not compatible with Logic 8. Make your choice.

Gomff
Sep 6, 2011, 06:32 PM
Kaibex

Logic 8 will work with Lion with a small hack.

Go to logic pro in your applications folder, right click on it and choose "Show Package Contents". Then look inside Contents>MacOs and you'll see a file called Logic Pro. If you double click on this, Logic will open and run in Lion perfectly well.

You can't drag it to your dock with all your other applications, but you can make an alias of it and drag it to the right side of your dock where aliases live.

Hope this helps. It's hard to see what reasons other than greed and profit motive Apple took the decision to block Logic 8 but there you go....That's your favourite fruit company these days....All about the bottom line and keeping the shareholders happy.

Galaxas0
Sep 7, 2011, 12:08 AM
We are Apple. You exist to service Us. Resistance is futile.

It's the Apple way: break things that are working forcing you to spend MORE money on an "upgrade".

Atleast it's not Microsoft who just puts more and more lipstick on Windows NT. I mean, it's been over 10 years and it's the same damn thing. Leopard pretty much re-hashed it. 2008 was a great "reset" of sorts for Apple.

Gomff
Sep 7, 2011, 07:46 AM
Atleast it's not Microsoft who just puts more and more lipstick on Windows NT. I mean, it's been over 10 years and it's the same damn thing. Leopard pretty much re-hashed it. 2008 was a great "reset" of sorts for Apple.

2008 was a good time for Apple. Sadly, it's gone downhill from there for professional users. Mac Pro's cost more and Pro software has been neutered (Final Cut Pro X) or killed (Shake). Since Apple seem to have officially abandoned optical disks as a distribution method, I fear for Logic's future and wonder whether it to is going to lose its stones in order to fit with the App store downloadable pro-sumer model.

colourfastt
Sep 7, 2011, 10:20 AM
2008 was a good time for Apple. Sadly, it's gone downhill from there for professional users. Mac Pro's cost more and Pro software has been neutered (Final Cut Pro X) or killed (Shake). Since Apple seem to have officially abandoned optical disks as a distribution method, I fear for Logic's future and wonder whether it to is going to lose its stones in order to fit with the App store downloadable pro-sumer model.

Apple is no longer pursuing either the "pro" or the "pro-sumer" markets; Apple is now focusing solely on the "kindergarten-sumer" market; read: iFeminine Hygiene Product and the partial integration of said iFHP's OS into OS X.

dadaGuerilla
Nov 12, 2011, 03:42 PM
You don't have to use Lion. For some reason Lion is not compatible with Logic 8. Make your choice.

This isn't true.

I used to have a 15" dual Core i7 MacBook Pro that I had installed Logic Exp 8 on when it was running 10.6. I upgraded it to 10.7 and sure enough, Logic Exp 8 wouldn't run.

But I bought a 17" quad-core MacBook Pro a couple weeks ago. It came with 10.7.2 preloaded. Thinking Logic Exp 8 wouldn't work with my new hardware, I installed my Jam Packs for use with GarageBand. But I decided I would try one more time to run Logic Exp 8 on 10.7.2. I installed the software without incident. Then I launched Logic Exp 8--and it started right up and executed perfectly.

The fix is to buy all new hardware running 10.7.2, then install Logic Exp 8, and start composing and recording. :)

dadaGuerilla

blueprint1983
Nov 12, 2011, 08:55 PM
get ableton live, it works flawlessly on Lion.:eek:

PlaidHatter
Nov 12, 2011, 09:21 PM
Strange that it worked, because the installer has PowerPC code and won't run on Lion.

fisherking
Nov 12, 2011, 11:10 PM
OS's update, apps update. that's how it's been forever.

meanwhile, logic 9.1.5 runs BEAUTIFULLY on 10.7.2
(in my experience, at least).

you can hack L8 to work, or upgrade logic. LOTS of good reasons to upgrade (check apple's site for what's new).

logic 9 is AWESOME...