Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
I have an aluminum 12" powerbook with 1ghz and 512 ram, I'm planning on getting a new 12" one, what updates does the current one have? I know of the speed and all, I'm talking about those little updates only you guys will notice, like has the screen been improved, I hate how dim the one I have is...anything worth mentioning? let me know...thanks

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Jericho2550 said:
I have an aluminum 12" powerbook with 1ghz and 512 ram, I'm planning on getting a new 12" one, what updates does the current one have? I know of the speed and all, I'm talking about those little updates only you guys will notice, like has the screen been improved, I hate how dim the one I have is...anything worth mentioning? let me know...thanks

i don't think much has changed with the 12"... ram was upped to 512 standard. Bluetooth 2.0, and the scrolling trackpad feature. that'd be it really.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Check a site like Apple-History for reference on stuff like this. See also Mactracker.

The latest (rev. D) 12" PBs have the following upgrades over your rev. B machine:

- faster CPU: 1.5 vs. 1.0 GHz
- faster FSB: 167 MHz vs. 133 MHz
- faster HDD (stock): 5400rpm vs. 4200 rpm
- more stock RAM: 512 MB vs. 256 MB (but same ceiling and still only 1 slot)
- double the VRAM: from 32 MB to 64 MB
- uses PC2700 DDR RAM instead of PC2100
- BT2 instead of BT1.1
- HDD drop protection
- AirPort Extreme now comes standard
- enhanced trackpad
- faster (I think) SuperDrive available
- 100 GB HDD as BTO option

Incremental but real improvements, for hundreds of dollars less than the MSRP of the rev. Bs.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
your computer really isn't that outdated. you could probably pay for over half the cost of the new one if you sell your current pbook on ebay. i'd wait till next revs/generation if you don't need the speed now. you will notice lots of improvement, however

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.