Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Theorhetically speaking could you....shoot ultra wide angle cinematography using dual DSLRs? I'm talking like 3840x1080 resolution or whatever in between? I mean you can do panoramics with stills...

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
No one has any input with 156 views? I think it would be challenging making sure both cameras had the right appeture settings, ISO settings, lighting, etc. but certainly an interesting alternative to something like an IMAX camera or even something like a RED ONE.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
No one has any input with 156 views? I think it would be challenging making sure both cameras had the right appeture settings, ISO settings, lighting, etc. but certainly an interesting alternative to something like an IMAX camera or even something like a RED ONE.
Sounds interesting. I dont have access to dual DSLRs so cant really try :(
Now how about Dual RED EPIC or MX Digital Cinema Cams ;)

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Sounds interesting. I dont have access to dual DSLRs so cant really try :(
Now how about Dual RED EPIC or MX Digital Cinema Cams ;)

Yeah I wish I had dual DSLR's...I have a few friends with 60D's but they are all away at the moment so that's no good. You could potentially go crazy if this is possible and something like 4 Canon 5D MkII's mounted together but then that leads me to think about dual RED EPIC's which would be just disgusting resolution! It would be too real! I would be using no less than an 8 core Mac Pro with a RED graphics card to put that together! :D

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
i would have thought that getting a seamless join is going to be a problem, as you will have to deal with the lens distortion around the joining edge of the 2 images, with a still you can easily manipulate the image in photoshop , with video you will have to find a way round this.

A Better way would be to use an Anamorphic lens then stretch out the image.

Where are you planning to show the final video?

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
You'd have problems with syncing frames, with joining, with keeping focus and exposure consistent and most of all with parallax (which would be a nightmare for close up subjects).

At the end of the day, I suspect that the slight loss of resolution you'd see cropping 1080 down to a panoramic format wouldn't be less of an issue than all the complexity of shooting with two cameras and joining.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
I have a 5DMKII and so does my father. Since the firmware updates they can now be set in manual so exposure would be consistent between cameras.

We don't have two identical lenses but we do have lenses that can be set at the same focal length.

Alignment would be tricky.

How would one watch such an odd format video.

FCPX wouldn't allow a format like that anyway would it?

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
You'd have problems with syncing frames, with joining, with keeping focus and exposure consistent and most of all with parallax (which would be a nightmare for close up subjects).

At the end of the day, I suspect that the slight loss of resolution you'd see cropping 1080 down to a panoramic format wouldn't be less of an issue than all the complexity of shooting with two cameras and joining.
Yeah I figured. I just like to dream haha. I've heard the 550D sensor could theoretically handle 2048x1152 with a firmware hack like Magic Lantern if they tried it though I wouldn't want to stress my CMOS sensor...
i would have thought that getting a seamless join is going to be a problem, as you will have to deal with the lens distortion around the joining edge of the 2 images, with a still you can easily manipulate the image in photoshop , with video you will have to find a way round this.

A Better way would be to use an Anamorphic lens then stretch out the image.

Where are you planning to show the final video?
Haha well I was thinking purely theoretically as it seams like an interesting concept. I got thinking about it when I saw El Skid's 'Beast Master' rig.... http://photocinenews.com/2010/09/20/el-skid-creates-redrock-beastmaster-dual-dslr-rig/ of course his rig had a totally different purpose but it got me thinking. (Side note you have to commend El Skid for such a crazy idea! a 5D and a 7D at the same time!). About anamorphic lenses though; I looked at those for a bit would your end video still be 1920x1080 but with letterbox? For now if I want something in wide format (2:40.1~) I just re-encode the video to 1920x800 but vimeo and youtube always convert the horizontal resolution down to 1280.... Could I always convert my 1920x1080 to 2048x850 instead? I've heard that's what indie film makers have to do when they submit their films to film festivals...

Yep having the ROCKET is great even better with two ;)
That's just too much power haha. I honestly don't think I would ever need an EPIC. Though a RED Scarlet I would kill to get my hands on for a project if I ever got enough people and stuff to get a serious project going.

----------

Here is a sample of using an anamorphic lens in video. There is also a link there to a guide on using such lens. This guy really likes them.
Hmm thanks I will be sure to look at that!

I have a 5DMKII and so does my father. Since the firmware updates they can now be set in manual so exposure would be consistent between cameras.

We don't have two identical lenses but we do have lenses that can be set at the same focal length.

Alignment would be tricky.

How would one watch such an odd format video.

FCPX wouldn't allow a format like that anyway would it?
I have no clue if FCPX would allow it. I was thinking mesh the video content together like photostiching each individual frame. Make it meshed and overlapped so it you have a resolution of something like 2560x1080, so first DSLR is shooting 1920x1080p and second DSLR is on a rig to the right of the first DSLR but half of its view is "interlaced" with the first one thus creating 2560x1080 instead of 3840x1080 which IMO would be to wide to handle at least for me (though FCPX can do up to 4k I wouldn't be doing that on my C2D MacBook Pro!!! :O). Lenses and EVERYTHING like I said would have to be exact. They can do HDR film with two DSLR's I know that much. Think about it. Depending on how close the DSLR's were you could widen or shorten the aspect ratio to your liking...of course syncing these two DSLR's would be a pain. Every change you would have to make would have to be at the same time on both cams full manual which is fine because even though its more work I find manual to always give me what I want, only time I use auto is when something happens quick and I just whoop out my Canon. I'm sure someone could code a live view software kit for capture that allows you to hook dual DSLR's to a pretty damn powerful mac though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.