Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I installed windows7 via VMWare and by default it allocates like 40gb which is stupid cause i don't need that much so I put it to like 7gb lol well now all my gb is full when iv done nothing but install like a 30mb program thats IT! so I went into the settings in VM and upped the hard drive to 15gb but it won't affect the C drive in windows, how can I fix this? What are most of you keeping it at that only use the windows part for literally a program that uses like 40mb if that like I am?

What does parallels do that VM doesn't or can't?

BTW OMG VM and Windows opens and closes as well as suspends ridiculous fast on the AIR!!!

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
VM does what paraells cant do.
Thats it.

First suspend you Win 7 and open the settings.
Change the HDD space to what ever you want and hit apply.
Now restart Windows and it should be fixed.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I upped the gb to 20 and it still hasn't changed in windows and it wont even let me change it back down in size! :(

JimboMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
Fusion can run in two modes:

1) with a fixed hard disk size
2) with a dynamic hard disk size

Sounds like you have set it up to run in the first mode. This means that the virtual machine file always stays the same size, no matter how much data or free space Windows has on it.

The only way to change the file size is to go into the Windows VM, and change the hard drive size allocation using the Windows disk tool. When you restart the VM it will change size accordingly to the same size as the new HD size you allocate.

If you want to change it to dynamically change size as the you add or delete files to the VM instead, there is a process you can carry out to convert the VM over to this mode of operation. It is described in one of the KB articles on the VMWare website.

Running the VM in dynamic resizing mode, is supposed to have a small impact on the speed of the the VM, but with the SSD on the Air, I don't know if this is noticeable.

Hope this helps

James
Hope

coopiklaani

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
UK
I expanded my VMware window space in two steps:
1. Expand the space allocated your windows in VMware settings
2. Startup your windows and expand your partition in the manager (My computer, right click, manager, disk manager)

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I expanded my VMware window space in two steps:
1. Expand the space allocated your windows in VMware settings
2. Startup your windows and expand your partition in the manager (My computer, right click, manager, disk manager)

thanks this worked, apparently when i increased it to 20gb the additional 12gb was a separate drive sitting there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.