PDA

View Full Version : Lion Mail often spontaneously freezes with spinning beachball

arko02
Sep 6, 2011, 04:52 AM
Hi, hope forum members won't mind that I haven't read through all pages of the other threads that might have mentioned this, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced Lion's Mail spontaneously freezing, often just while composing a message, or (as happened to me about 45 minutes ago) even while moving the cursor to press the 'send' button?

I am running 10.7.1, but this bug has been plaguing me ever since I installed Lion about two and half weeks ago. Thankfully, the problem seems limited to Mail, and doesn't seem to occur in other apps, and between Mail's Autosave and pressing command-S often enough, often the draft Mail saves in the Drafts folder is quite current, but it's still annoying.

Also, this problem only seems to occur when you're actually "doing" something in Mail (i.e. Mail won't just spontaneously crash when it's just idle in the background). If anyone else has experienced this problem, it'd be great to know!

eighteesix
Sep 6, 2011, 06:27 PM
ill add credence to this. im also being hammered by freezes in mail. typically when mail is sent. happens randomly too. really sucks.

amikon
Sep 7, 2011, 12:02 PM
Hi. My first post in this forum. I also have problems with mail. My mail freezes as soon as i start the program and the processors goes to maximum, 100 %. And then its the beachball. Then i have to force mail to shut down. Is Apple working with this issue? I dont mind waiting if it will be fixed.
Anders

griffd
Sep 9, 2011, 01:19 PM
Same problem here. I've had this since day 1, and thought I was the only one for the longest time. Now it appears its more widespread. I tried repairing permissions, deleting prefs, deleting the MAIL folder, etc. I am using it with exchange and imap servers.

Howeve,r I tried creating a setup under a separate account and it actually appeared to work fine. But I can't keep switching users to check my mail.

-Dave

Phil A.
Sep 9, 2011, 01:23 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I think Lion is more aggressive at keeping memory free (I don't know why though): for example, I checked the activity monitor and had 5gb of free memory and a swap used figure of 4gb. With the same usage profile on snow leopard I'd typically have a couple of hundred meg free memory and much less swap used.
So it seems that lion wants to swap stuff out much earlier than snow leopard in order to keep the memory free and that leads to slow downs as it gets pages back

franks
Sep 11, 2011, 03:02 AM
I encounter this 2x a day. It only occurs when I am composing a new email, or replying. So far, I always find most of the unsent message in Drafts.

I hope this gets fixed soon!

airkevin
Nov 11, 2011, 03:15 PM
Under Lion, I had a lot of lockup/crashes on Mail unless I am running it in full screen mode. I only have the problem when I run Main in a window. I've been able to repeatably duplicate this.

Magyartist
Sep 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
I'm on 10.7.5. Mail freezes with spinning rainbow of death several times each day. It happens when I send mail, it happens when I open mail, when I paste into a message, when I hit Return to go to next line in my mail composition... It can pretty much occur with any input -no matter how minimal.

I composed and sent a group e-mail on Sept.21, it went out to people exactly one week later.

I've docked my memory meter, and it is not indicating that it is full, even when Mail crashes, although Mail acts like that is the problem.

Interesting observation: After installing the most recent OS upgrade (to 10.7.5), Mail seemed fine for about two days. Just as my hopes began to soar, the freezing with spinning death-rainbow returned -worse than it had been before.

What I've done so far: trashed preferences, repaired permissions, given my desktop a designated IP address.

Grateful to anyone who can offer a solution!

arko02
Sep 29, 2012, 06:35 AM
Hi, I'm not sure if I can offer a solution, but just a couple of things: one is, for me this problem had stopped when I upgraded from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3. Also, have you tried wiping the hard drive and doing a clean install of the OS, and then bringing your data back across with Migration Assistant? This could help the problem.