Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jok3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
OK, So as some of you may or may not know, when the new Xbox it should be running 3 PowerPC processors (essentially the G5), each running at 3-3.5Ghz each. Ever since I read the specs on the machine I've been basically pondering two possibilities

1. Converting the Xbox to run OSX, I'm not a hardware expert so I don't know the viability of this, but it seems to me that if the new Xbox is running the same infrastructure and processors as a Mac then tinkering with it to run OSX is within the realm of possibility especially with the Open-Source UNIX elements within OSX. I know a similar conversion exists to get the Xbox to run Linux and function as a PC, but if someone figured this out, a triple core G5 machine for <$500 is pretty appealing.

2. Xgrid, if you read through the list of new features on Tiger you might have noticed that now any collection of Macs can serve as a grid computing network, would it be possible to do this with the processors on the Xbox to supercharge a current Mac (like my PowerBook for example)

I've been toying this over for a while now and the recent news about all of this got me wondering if it could work, so anyone with the technical knowledge about this I would greatly appreciate the replies

Jok3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Interesting to see that it's been done already. One thing that's worth pointing out is that the new one has a lot more going for it than the old one. The first Xbox had a 766mhz processor (right around there) and 64mb of RAM, but the main factor there was that it was a x86 processor from Intel so OSX on the orignal most likely had to emulate all of the MS hardware as well, and with only 64mb of RAM it would have done a pretty crappy job. This time however you have native processor support and 9.0-10.5 GHz of computing power with a decent amount of RAM (256) and an amazing video card. Plus using it as a grid computing system could be pretty amazing. At any rate I'm hoping it'll work and work well.

RupertJ

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2004
Bristol, UK
The current "XBox with OS X" was actually running Linux, which was running PearPC (a bit of software that emulates a PowerPC system) which was running OS X. That's why it was slow.

Now, there's almost zero chance that you'll ever run OS X directly on the New XBox, but when someone eventually gets linux onto the thing, a modified version of Mac on Linux (or something like it) might let you run OS X.

mingisback

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
United States
i could see it happening... if they wrote a bios for the xbox 360 with a boot loader for OSX.

hardware hackers do amazing things these days.

with the xbox 360 using PowerPC processors, i assume it will be done in the first 6 months.

the first xbox is a hackfest.... so will the next. :)

i'm glad the new xbox isn't x86... now more money will go into PowerPC development....

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
You're all getting a little ahead of yourselves. We still don't positively know the final techspecs for the Xbox. As far as embarrassing Microsoft, I have a hunch they've already thought about this possibility. Even if it was possibly, would it be really embarassing for them if, let's say, a bunch of mac users bought their game system instead of a mac mini and used it to run a butchered OS X? Apple operating systems and Apps are designed to run on Apple hardware, not game systems with technology that Apple shares. The x factor here (pun unintentional) is the DVD drive, The HD, the videocard...

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Jok3r said:
OK, So as some of you may or may not know, when the new Xbox it should be running 3 PowerPC processors (essentially the G5), each running at 3-3.5Ghz each. Ever since I read the specs on the machine I've been basically pondering two possibilities

Incorrect.

They are NOT G5's or similar to G5's at all.

PowerPC architecture does NOT mean it is a G5. Read the tech specs, people, it's a customized PowerPC processor. Some sites claim they are G5's but that was NOT in the specs Microsoft released. The thing does a mere 2 instructions per clock cycle. Even a Pentium 4 does SIX instructions per clock cycle, and we all know that G5's do more than x86 processors per clock cycle right?

No, each of those 3 GHz PowerPC processors are FAR slower than a G5. And I do mean FAR. They are simple two-way PowerPC based processors. Put together they are still slower than a 3 GHz G5.

You'd think you Mac guys would know about the MHz Myth :D This is Microsoft's new marketting ploy. A SUPER high clocked processor that hardly does any instructions per clock cycle, but makes the number look very, very high.

Did anyone here honestly believe that Microsoft would include Three 3 GHz G5's and a high end graphics card in a $300 system coming in six months when Apple cannot deliver a dual 2 GHz G5 in a $3000 system?

BTW, we DO know the tech specs; not final, but "tri-core 3 GHz PowerPC processors capable of 2 instructions per clock cycle" is the numbers they gave to developers at GDC.

Judging from that we can figure the approximate speed of this thing.

No mention of whether the thing even has AltiVec or not, if it doesn't it could be even slower than I thought. There are three of them, that makes up for the fact that a 3 GHz one of those is about equal to a 1 GHz Pentium 3.

The XBox 360's strength is that its coming out just in time to use the ATi R500 cards. Wowza.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.