Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Hi all. As with many people, I'm thinking of buying a whole new mac when tiger comes preinstalled on them. I currently have a 17" 800MhZ G4 iMac which I will be selling to someone at work to get the money to buy a new machine. I have a desktop PC, and want some portability, so I was thinking of going the 12" powerbook route. But, I could save some serious money by going the Mac Mini route and hooking it up to my existing 17" monitor that the PC is running on.
Does anyone know what type of performance difference I'd see between the 1.42Ghz Mini and the 1.5Ghz Powerbook? How is the system bus, cache, and all that other stuff differ between the two? THis is assuming both will have 512MB of RAM in the end, as I will upgrade the Mini.
My primary uses are everything in the iLife suite.
I want portability, but the powerbook is going to be almost $1000 more. But, the screen spanning is an attractive feature to me since I could still hook it up to my PC monitor (it has 3 inputs on it).
I just need some good technical opinions on how much of an advantage one has over the other. Thanks for your input everyone.

Ringu

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2005
I have bought both recently. Performance is quite close, with the PB being a tad quicker (it also has a bit more ram 1.2 v 1gig). I find airport reception is also a little better on the powerbook. I love the Mini tho'

The portability for me is crucial, so I guess that's the one factor that will help you decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.