PDA

View Full Version : True minimal RAM for lion is 4 gigas

Franciturci
Sep 6, 2011, 10:46 AM
I've had some issues with Lion and I was not really happy with it on my Macbook Aluminium bought in 2009. I've decided then to update the RAM from 2 (which is the minimum required) to 4 gigas: the user experience is now completely different, the system beeing responsive even with a large load of applications (Europa Universalis, Safari,Papers, Evernote, Mail, iPhoto,the Terminal, Datagraph all opened together).

This way, the system is nice, with all the gestures and MissionControl beeing always reliable. Shouldn't Apple more explicitly push the minimal requirements to 4 Gigas?

vmachiel
Sep 6, 2011, 11:32 AM
I don't think so, that would make a whole lot of macs unable all of the sudden. Many systems run lion fine with 2 gbs

CodeBreaker
Sep 6, 2011, 11:34 AM
Shouldn't Apple more explicitly push the minimal requirements to 4 Gigas?

No. They can't. They still sell Macs with 2 GB RAM with Lion installed. I have used Lion with 2 GB for more than a month and it's ok for doing light weight tasks (web browsing, word processing, causal photo editing, gaming and development).
Pushing the memory requirement to 4 GB would be bad publicity.

maril1111
Sep 6, 2011, 11:38 AM
I don't think so, that would make a whole lot of macs unable all of the sudden. Many systems run lion fine with 2 gbs

Yeh but I notice that when comparing 2 laptops with Lion installed and 2gb vs 4gb ram the 4gb is much snappier and faster overall. (none of these macs had an ssd) But I do believe they should just write a minimum and a recommended column like microsoft...

Minimum

2gb

Recommended

4gb

QuarterSwede
Sep 6, 2011, 11:41 AM
Yeh but I notice that when comparing 2 laptops with Lion installed and 2gb vs 4gb ram the 4gb is much snappier and faster overall. (none of these macs had an ssd)
That's the way OS X (and computers in general) works the more RAM the better.

My MacBook is maxed out at 3GB and it runs fine.