PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4...A great machine

yettimillan
Sep 6, 2011, 11:01 AM
I bought a PowerBook G4 the other day, its the 1.25 GHz FW800 2003 version.

At first I must admit I was disappointed. It had 10.3 installed and was very much outdated.

So I installed 10.4 and wow what a machine. It just works so well. It has a beautiful design and is seriously doing well for its age. I can't believe how well it has lasted. If it wasn't for the fact I like to play games on mac and bootcamp then it would be fine to use as my everyday computer. Even the battery is good although I think it has had a new one installed.

I have even installed one of my own games onto it which is PPC only and doesn't work anymore with Lion and that also works well, although a little slow at times. Caffine is also compatible which is a big plus.

Sorry if this seems a pointless post, I just wanted to convay my love for this machine.....Now time do go clean it.

AQUADock
Sep 6, 2011, 11:21 AM
Yes they are great, i have the 12" 1.5GHz from around 2004 and its my main machine. The only thing i don't like is that it gets a bit too hot sometimes. Why don't you put leopard your machine?

MAC MAN JW
Sep 6, 2011, 01:21 PM
I bought a PowerBook G4 the other day, its the 1.25 GHz FW800 2003 version.

At first I must admit I was disappointed. It had 10.3 installed and was very much outdated.

So I installed 10.4 and wow what a machine. It just works so well. It has a beautiful design and is seriously doing well for its age. I can't believe how well it has lasted. If it wasn't for the fact I like to play games on mac and bootcamp then it would be fine to use as my everyday computer. Even the battery is good although I think it has had a new one installed.

I have even installed one of my own games onto it which is PPC only and doesn't work anymore with Lion and that also works well, although a little slow at times. Caffine is also compatible which is a big plus.

Sorry if this seems a pointless post, I just wanted to convay my love for this machine.....Now time do go clean it.

Even that they are older macs they still work very good and are very useful :) i use my powerbook G4 12in 1.5GHz with Leopard almost every day. if you put Leopard in your PowerBook it makes it fell like a new mac :)

eyoungren
Sep 6, 2011, 01:37 PM
I have two 17" Powerbooks. I use my 1Ghz model for everyday and it works well for that. And it's powerful enough if I need to use Illustrator or Photoshop it works just fine.

My other Powerbook I use for design work and it handles that very well.

I'm used to the heat on my thighs by now. Although my 1.67Ghz model runs cooler if you can believe that.

yettimillan
Sep 6, 2011, 02:29 PM
Yes they are great, i have the 12" 1.5GHz from around 2004 and its my main machine. The only thing i don't like is that it gets a bit too hot sometimes. Why don't you put leopard your machine?

I'm trying to get hold of a PPC version of the disk as I have the intel only copy.

I'm also a little worried that it may slow it down quite a bit.

Badrottie
Sep 6, 2011, 09:10 PM

You should buy laptop cooling fan..that is the reason I bought a 3 fans cooling for my beast 15 inches PB! and as for OP you should install Leopard 10.5.8 and upgrade more RAM you will be more happy!

Nameci
Sep 6, 2011, 09:15 PM
You should buy laptop cooling fan..that is the reason I bought a 3 fans cooling for my beast 15 inches PB! and as for OP you should install Leopard 10.5.8 and upgrade more RAM you will be more happy!

No need for cooling fan, I bought this http://www.andreafabrizi.it/?g4fancontrol .

For a minimal fee I can change the G4 fans control to startup early at 45c CPU temps rather than start up late at 60c (this is the default).