Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
I need to purchase by end of year, so I have been reading about compacts cameras such as the XZ-1, G12, LX-5, X10, and the m4/3 such as the E-PL2 etc. I settled on the S95 for various reasons, but thinking it may be best to wait until they announce the successor, presumably the S100?

Given the S95 will probably go on sale again at Best Buy for $300 when the successor is annouced, is there really any need for me to wait and spend another $150-200, when I will not be doing much post-processing?

Just wanted to get thoughts if the wait+$$ might be worth it...based on rumors of course :D

thanks!

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
check out http://www.canonrumors.com... they usually have pretty good intel on new products and such. It'll really be up to you whether you feel like the S100 will add anything you can't live without over the 95. I'm in the same boat as you contemplating this one.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
I was looking at the S95, but it was too much of a downgrade from my DSLR. I ended up with a Fuji X100 and it has been perfect for my needs. The new X10 might be a nice option if you can settle for a smaller sensor. $300 for a S95 would be very tempting though....

macrabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
I was looking at the S95, but it was too much of a downgrade from my DSLR. I ended up with a Fuji X100 and it has been perfect for my needs. The new X10 might be a nice option if you can settle for a smaller sensor. $300 for a S95 would be very tempting though....

Thanks for the feedback. I would love to get the X100, but frankly $1400 all in with accessories would mean I am a serious, serious enthusist [which I am not]. In that case I would grab an actual full featured DSLR like a D7000.

I found the Olympus PEN series though. It might be just the ticket I am looking for.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Thanks for the feedback. I would love to get the X100, but frankly $1400 all in with accessories would mean I am a serious, serious enthusist [which I am not]. In that case I would grab an actual full featured DSLR like a D7000.

I found the Olympus PEN series though. It might be just the ticket I am looking for.
I understand the price issue. I paid $1200. for mine. Due to high demand, Amazon pricing is crazy on that camera. Hard to beat a dSLR for PQ and flexibility, but carrying all that "baggage" takes it toll after a while. P&S are great for price and portability but their small senors limit PQ. That is why I settled on the X100. Still get the larger sensor and the PQ that goes with it in a more portable package.

I have looked at the Oly Pen series and think that is a nice system, too. However, I would hold out on that decision until the X10 is released. It looks like it has a lot to offer at a much lower price than the X100. I'm sure you will be happy getting a new camera, regardless of which one you decide on.:)

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Hmm...I dunno now. Some of the upgrades on the S100 seem pretty enticing. Will have to play with it in stores first :D Also depends on how low the pricing for the S95 drops to once this thing comes out.

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
I wouldn't wait and get the Olympus XZ1 it is superior camera, even out shoots my Nikon D90 with ED glass on it. F1.8 to F2.5 at 28mm - 112mm (equiv) makes for really nice low noise pics with an amazing contrast.

Video is not that good, about the same as a TZ20, then again the only compact video I like is from my LX3.

Not a real answer to the question, but the Olympus is the only pocket contender if you want great quality in a useable package. The PEN is just too big if you want to g beyond the pancake lens. (besides for that money I would pick up a NEX5)

.. just my two cents of confusion :)

edit: just read the S100 rumor specs on canonrumors... I would wait :p

Last edited:

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
Those weren't specs, Canon just released the S100 :p Now you have your answer, don't wait and buy the S100!

Whoot! Finally got the S100 in hand and tried it, sad to say: glad I bought the Olympus XZ-1, but do like the Canon video bit more. Nothing beats that Olympus lens though.

macrabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Whoot! Finally got the S100 in hand and tried it, sad to say: glad I bought the Olympus XZ-1, but do like the Canon video bit more. Nothing beats that Olympus lens though.

any chance of of a mini review?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.